New advice on customizing my new computer

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TheSpartan117, May 26, 2007.

?

Is this thread relevant?

1. Yes

28.6%
  2. No

36.7%
  3. For the most part

20.4%
  4. Absolutely yes

14.3%
  1. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    I checked into it and your correct that the MSI P6N Platinum support PCI 1.0a. I checked the BIOS updates and nothing is mentioned about support for PCI 2.0. I'm not sure if that means it can't run them though. Technically I'm using RAM not supported by my motherboard and it works flawlessly. Somebody else might be able to address this better than I can.

I would think that the graphics card DirtBikr linked to would support PCI 1.0 and PCI 2.0 but after checking NewEgg and the XFX website itself, I can't find anything that says it would be backwards compatible or flat out support the PCI 1.0 standard. Make no mistake that both cards are PCI x16. The standard the slots use is what is up for debate. Can anybody shed some light on this?

2. TheSpartan117

TheSpartan117 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9250 OC'd to 275Mhz
    Well, Mulsiphix. I added the Antec 900 Mid ATX Computer Case to my build. That sets the total price to $959.93 I think. But yeah, I added the new XFX GeForce 8800GT which is only $269.99 on newegg. By the time I have the money together to build this beast, the price will probably have gone down I'm thinking.

3. TheSpartan117

GPU:
  4. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    Well when your closer to buying the material go ahead and let us know. We might be able to make a modification or two to better enhance this beasts already impressive "bang for the buck" factor :thumbup:. Very glad to hear you'll be getting this case. Before I bought this case I always had one that had one intake and one exhaust. I never had any idea case temps could be so low with air cooling :grin:.

5. TheSpartan117

GPU:
    That I will do for sure, Mulsiphix. Thanks for all the help with the pre-sale of my custom build. I'm sure this machine will last me a good long while and will support Crysis with relative ease.

6. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    That it will. I'm the type to generally avoid previews for movies and games. I like to just pick it up when its becomes available and play. I was at Walmart the other day and saw a preview for Crysis. Before I figured out I was watching the preview for Crysis, and not one of many titles I will probably never have the chance to play on a PS3, it was over. Crysis looks sooooo awesome! I hope your able to play it sooner than later :thumbup:.

7. madne$$

madne$$ Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor HD5670 512mb
    hey guys i hope ive come to the right place.

its about my memory, on the cpuz what does 64mx64k-40c mean ?

im not running on dual channel anymore coz, one memory stick is 512, and the other is 1gb :(, i have lost a few frames in hl2 :(

pls help

Madne$$$

8. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    To be honest I'm not sure. Taking a stab at it...

64mx64k-40c

64m (milliseconds, speed of microchips?)
    64k (onboard cache?)
    40c (max recommended operating temperature?)

This is actually support for one user's journey to build his own PC. You might find people who actually know for sure by posting a new thread in the General Hardware forum :grin:.

9. hitman1303

hitman1303 Member Guru

GPU:
    7950 3 gig dead!
    When do you hope to be building this PC ????

10. TheSpartan117

GPU:
    Well, hopefully sometime not too long after January. I want to play Crysis so badly.