New advice on customizing my new computer

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TheSpartan117, May 26, 2007.

?

Is this thread relevant?

1. Yes

28.6%
  2. No

36.7%
  3. For the most part

20.4%
  4. Absolutely yes

14.3%
  1. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    Mushkin Enhanced is cheaper then Crucial Ballistix and has the same speed, timings, and the same Micron D9 IC.

2. dB

dB Ancient Guru

GPU:
    88GTS 512M@830/2050/2.2g
    @Crossfire: Where did you read that Muskin uses D9 ICs in their memory? The last I knew they used Promos ICs in everything besides there real high end memory (which they used D9 ICs in).

About the 8800GT vs. 8800GTS issue, look at this review (and others, by simply googling 8800GT review) to make up your decision. Personally though, I think that It would be worth it :):
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Another thing Spartan, When you want to add something else in a thread, and there have been no new posts since your last post, it is a good idea to use the "edit" button (like i am doing now) instead of making a new post.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  3. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    Unless your saving money the P6N should more than suit your needs. One of the really important things I can't stress enough to people building computers for the first time, or anytime for that matter, is don't buy something based on the "theoretical possibilities" it can offer you under certain circumstances. Pick a board that fits your needs and that is that. While you can pick any board you like just try and do it based on what you need from it, not what it could potentially offer you if you bought X hardware. Unless specifically planning on a certain type of upgrade in the future any "theoretical" stuff is complete rubbish.

4. TheSpartan117

TheSpartan117 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9250 OC'd to 275Mhz
    Mulsiphix. I was hoping you could tell me what I need to make use of the side exhaust on the CPU case. When you get the chance, please answer the question. No rush Mulsiphix. I appreciate all the help that you have given me and are still giving me. :thumbup:

5. TheSpartan117

GPU:
    Actually, Mulsiphix. I just looked at the computer case specifications and I realized that the computer case actually comes with two 120mm fans. One on the rear of course for the rear exhaust and one on the side for the side intake. So I guess there may not need to be an additional fan purchase seeing as the computer case already comes with both. So I guess I'm set as far as that goes. By the time I finally build this puppy, Windows Vista will have received its first Service Pack A.K.A. SP1. That Service Pack comes out in January and right now I'm on my way to getting a $130+ pay check. :biggun: Snipe! :thumbup:

6. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    When I was looking at the case on NewEgg I didn't see any fans pictured in the product images so I assumed no fans were included. Thats awesome that two come with it. If your hoping that the first SP for Vista will be anything special I wouldn't hold my breath. MS has already released an announcement stating that just about all changes will be internal with virtually nothing visible to the end user. They made the announcement to try and get people who were waiting for SP1 to be released before purchasing Vista, to get their ass in gear and buy it now :wanker:.

7. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    By the way you don't need any kind of special fan for the side exhaust. Any case fan will do as long as it is the right side. Personally I recommend getting an Antec Tri-Cool. I bought mine off newegg for $10 each and they have three speed settings. Work like a charm and really push a lot of air. I keep all six of mine at full speed and my case isn't that loud :thumbup:.

8. TheSpartan117

GPU:
    Mulsiphix, does newegg sell liquid heatsinks? I'm just wondering for future reference. Also, how do you fit 6 fans into your computer case? Seriously, the Dell Dimension 4400 I'm using currently only has 2 fans. One for the rear exhaust and one on the graphics card. I'd install 6 fans if I knew where to install them and if they kept the computer case cool enough. Which I'm sure they would. What I mean is I'd install 6 fans in my newegg build if I knew where to put them.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  9. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    liquid heatsinks?? what is that

how many fans can fit into a case
    depends on the size of the case
    full tower size cases, can have 6 or 7

10. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    Video Review Of Case (to get a real good look)
    NewEgg.com Antec 900 Page (lots of pics)

I use the Antec 900 Mid Tower Gaming Case. It has two 120mm Intake fans, a third 120mm hard drive cage intake fan, one 120mm side exhaust fan, one 120mm rear exhaust fan, and one 200mm exhaust fan at the top of the case. I've never had system temps so frickin low. Every fan is an Antec Tri-Cool. If you were to purchase this case today, seeing as it is on sale at newegg for today only, you could get it for $50 (after the $50 mail in rebate). Its pretty awesome.

My first choice for a case was the Cooler Master Stacker 830 which allows for 9 or 10 fans. It allows for four fans on the side of the case alone. Up to four intake fans on the front of the case. One 200mm or 250mm exhaust fan on the top of the case and one or two exhaust fans on the back of the case. Its pretty damn amazing. Just super expensive. I had to downgrade to the Antec 900. Only real "downgrade" was going from a full tower to a mid tower. The cooling of each case is just through the roof. Both are true gems in my personal opinion.

I'm not familiar with what liquid heatsinks are. Could you provide a bit more info on them? Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I highly recommend the Samsung 22" LCD Widescreen. My life has never been so good. I hated the thought of a widescreen, for reasons I can't remember now, so I held off on purchasing one forever. I finally broke down and purchased the 22" Samsung 226BW. I'm in heaven! While not an essential "must have" item it really does make using my PC so much more enjoyable.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007

11. TheSpartan117

GPU:
    Never mind. I realized a liquid heatsink costs a lot of money and it will take a long time to explain.

12. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    I was just wondering if you knew. Technically a "liquid heatsink" is a slang term used to explain a water block. In PC's this is used in place of normal metal heatsinks. A liquid, usually water mixed with a chemical to maintain clarity and purity - color/fluorescent reactivity, moves through this heatsink. The heat from the RAM, CPU, or Chipset, is drawn into the water and carried through tubing into a radiator. There the heat is separated from the water and exhausted from the case. The water is then recycled back into the system.

13. TheSpartan117

GPU:
    Well, good news and bad news Mulsiphix. The bad news is the EVGA 320MB Superclocked Graphics Card is now deactivated on newegg. The good news is I already found a replacement card which is even better than the deactivated one.

BTW Mulsiphix. I'm still considering switching computer cases to something with more fans but most of those ones are over $100. But, based upon the computer case recommendations you gave me, I might be able to find a good one that has like 6-7 120mm fans that maybe just a little over $100. Actually, Mulsiphix I found a good PCI Slot Case Cooler by Evercool. Not only is it cheap, it also has a 60CFM cooling rate and it's reasonably quiet. So, hopefully I can get 2 of those into my computer case and it will keep it really cool.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  14. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    I've never had much success with those PCI Slot coolers. They theoretically work and some even get decent reviews but they have always bombed horribly when I've tested them. They don't have the greatest reputation for success from other forums users if I remember correctly. Rather than get a cooler I'd invest in a case that has quality cooling. You can get an Antec 900 for approximately $100 which includes the shipping price. I know your on a tight budget though so I'm not sure if that upgrade is even possible. What card have you replaced the 320 with?

Just remember that when you choose cheap products your usually getting absolute crap. This philosophy isn't true with all things in life but it is generally spot on when it comes to PC parts. The reason I brought this up is those PCI Slot coolers are cheap and probably suck because of that. Another thing is you want to get quality 120mm fans and buying 5 to 7 of those things is going to cost you an additional $50 to $70.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  15. TheSpartan117

GPU:

16. dB

dB Ancient Guru

GPU:
    88GTS 512M@830/2050/2.2g
  17. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    HOLY CRAP! I cannot urge you enough to go with the card that dirtbiker has linked you too. Not only will you save a nice chunk of money going with the 8800GT over the XFX 8800GTS but that card is better than the XFX card. Now that I've looked at the specs and have seen its price I BELIEVE! Dirtbiker your a stud :evil:

18. dB

dB Ancient Guru

GPU:
    88GTS 512M@830/2050/2.2g
    No problem m8 :whip: :).

Froogle.com ftw!

19. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    More of a PriceGrabber man myself. Ever since they changed the layout of Froogle I just can't find things as easy. PriceGrabber is very organized but probably lacks all of the goodies that Froogle can dig up, being the spider monger that it is. Froogle for completeness, PriceGrabber for the lazy.... FROOGLE FOR THE WIN! :cheers:

EDIT
    The purchases must be made by 11/28 and you can only get a maximum of $50 back per PayPal account. Every little bit helps right?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  20. TheSpartan117

GPU:
    Mulsiphix. I'm not completely sure that card will even work with the motherboard. It says PCI-Express 2.0 Interface and the PCI-Express slots on my build motherboard only support PCI-E ×16 Interface. Then again, it might work. I'm not sure though.