New advice on customizing my new computer

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TheSpartan117, May 26, 2007.

?

Is this thread relevant?

1. Yes

28.6%
  2. No

36.7%
  3. For the most part

20.4%
  4. Absolutely yes

14.3%
  1. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    The reliably awesome folks over at anandtech.com got their Q6600 to run stable at 3.33GHz with a 1480MHz FSB and a 9.0x multiplier at 1.312V. That is an easy overclock as far as the FSB is considered so you have a very wide range of motherboards to choose from. My E4300 could have gone higher but the motherboard I chose was only capable of reaching a lower 400 range FSB. However, as stated previously, I was only hoping for a 3GHz overclock so I was more than pleased with the end result of 3.15GHz being the maximum stable clock.

I think that is a great chip and that it will make you very happy. It should serve you well in everything from compressing/decompressing various file formats (media, storage, etc...) to providing massive power for all of today's latest games.

I think it is a fine choice Spartan :thumbup:

2. TheSpartan117

TheSpartan117 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9250 OC'd to 275Mhz
    Alright. I'll go with that then. Yeah, I have my cart already set-up basically. If you can get me your email address, I can email you my shopping cart on newegg so you can see the build I'm going with. Although, I'm still in the process of revising some of the parts. Most of the parts are already accounted for and I only have the tower, the motherboard and the graphics card that I might revise. Other than that, everything is somewhat set. Hopefully when I purchase all the parts the price of Windows Vista will finally have gone down and the price of the Core 2 Duo will be cheaper also. I mean, I can live with paying $200+ for an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, but a Windows Vista Home Premium DVD for $200+? That's ridiculous.

3. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    I've PM'ed you my email address, which is also available in my profile. You can actually find Vista Home Premium on eBay, click here, for $100 to $115 (shipping is free or included in that price). They sell OEM versions which are much cheaper. Its the same version of the operating system but they are usually reserved for prefab computers or software "bundles". Its the only way to buy Windows :D.

4. TheSpartan117

GPU:
    Thanks for the help Mulsiphix. It is much appreciated. I'm glad I don't have to buy Windows Vista Home Premium for more than $200. That's good to know.

5. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    No problem :grin:

6. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW

I really hope you don't mind but I've decided to include a link to your build in this post. After all that has happened here I think it is only fair that others be given an equal chance to be proud of you. Alright, first I've got to tip my hat to you. I wasn't expecting your build to be this well put together. I'm proud of you. You've shown a great adeptness with being able to take standardized recommendations and turn them into quality real world choices.

I honestly cannot make any better suggestions. I took the last couple of days and did some research and frankly I can't come up with anything I would personally want to change when spending under $1,000. Your build is cost effective, powerful, well thought out, has wonderful air flow, and will be an extremely capable gaming machine for a good long while. Your RAM is top notch and your video card is a beast, not to mention a wonderful bang for your buck. The motherboard is a quality product that I personally own and I couldn't be more happy with it. Your power supply has a very reliable reputation and its price is reasonable indeed. I have the same model hard drive, it is a tad bigger though, and couldn't be more happy with its performance over the last few months. Your CPU is awesome with its quad core-ness, beefy L2 Cache, and delicious benchmarks. At default speeds it is computing bliss and it has very well documented potential to be overclocked to even greater speeds. Finally, your choice for a DVD drive is excellent. My wife has one and she uses it weekly. Its performance is top notch and the drive has proven very dependable. I am overjoyed with your choices.

The only thing I suggest is purchasing two fans so you can make use of the rear exhaust and the side exhaust areas of your case. That side fan will contribute greatly to lowering your case temps as it will be sucking the hot air out of the case that your video card will be putting out. And I know from owning one of these babies in the past that it will indeed put out a great deal of heat.

My last bit of advice to you is to take any advice you receive with a grain of salt. Hear what they have to say, consider what they are suggesting, but go with what makes the most sense to you and what you feel most confident with. In my opinion, such a formula will never fail you. When I was building my computer I got so much "fluff" advice it was maddening. Everything from "spend more money so you don't regret it later" to "no need to buy this or that because you should be waiting for the next big thing" all the way to "your such a newb, don't even build a computer". In the end I took much advice to heart and ignored the rest that was given to me. I picked the parts that I felt I would be happiest with. I love my PC to death and it hasn't given me any trouble. Thanks to my research here on the boards I now regularly enjoy pure computing bliss.

Above all else know that you've made me very proud. I look forward to answering any questions you may have once you put this beast together.

:bigsmile:​

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  7. dB

dB Ancient Guru

GPU:
    88GTS 512M@830/2050/2.2g
    I have a couple suggestions, get this ram instead:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565

It's very stable, only $10 more, and is VERY forgiving if you want to try out overclocking.

Also, get an 8800GT, if you can find one in stock ;). They are roughly as much as the 8800GTS, but are almost as powerful as the 8800GTX.

Another thing, is i have heard mixed things about the P6N Platnium. I have heard a lot of good things, but I have also heard from several people that the capacitors on the motherboard get hot and leak (which breaks the motherboard).

Look into this board:
    GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R

Like Mulspix said, don't take all our word for it. Although we by no means intend to lie or mislead you, do some research on your own. One thing that I always do before buying a motherboard is going on to the motherboard's manufacturer site, and browse the web forums there and see what kinds of problems the people are having with their boards, and what kind of customer support the people receive. Another thing I do is look at motherboard roundup reviews. Reviews like this take a whole bunch of motherboards that share a common northbridge chipset (such as the 650i, or in this case P35), and compare the features on the board. But once again, don't look at just one review. last weekend my motherboard failed, and I probably read 10 different reviews on 15 different motherboards, and looked around to see what problems existed on each board before making my informed decision :). (I bought the Abit IP35 Pro by the way :D).

8. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    I read every last review I could track down for the P6N. The major complaint is the 400Mhz to 425Mhz FSB limitation that "most" boards seemed to be bound by. Other than that it was all about the price. This should be considered a mid range board. It isn't uber elite for overclockers, not that it needs to be for the maximum average OC the processor your purchasing is able to obtain before becoming unstable. However, it comes with a ton of extras and is wonderful with heat dissipation. I don't remember any of the reviews mentioning capacitors that leaked though. Any chance you have a reference dirtbiker?

If you don't plan on overclocking the RAM then just about anything will do. I don't overclock RAM personally since the performance gain isn't even possible to see in gaming and in most PC applications. The only place you'll really see a performance boost is when benchmarking your system. I'm not familiar with the 8800GT. I heard they were coming out with it but I didn't know it was out yet, nor have I checked out its specs. If it is better and priced around the same as the 8800GTS I highly recommend the upgrade.

9. dB

dB Ancient Guru

GPU:
    88GTS 512M@830/2050/2.2g
    Ah, sorry for the mix up guys. Talked to one of my "sources" (a friend who i play with online) and he said the board was the
    P6N SLI-FI. The P6N SLi Platinum sports solid state capacitors, which are a lot better than the "leaky" electrolyte capacitors. I apologize for the mix up :(.

Also, Spartan. If you plan on getting a board with an Nforce chipset, then you can run your memory and FSB at different speeds, which means that memory overclocking isn't as important. But, if you get a motherboard with an intel northbridge, then your FSB and memory clocks WILL be linked, which means that whenever you overclock your memory, your FSB becomes overclocked too.

Now that I (and you) know that the P6N Platnium doesn't suffer from the leaking capacitor problem i thought it did, then that may be the best choice. Even though it may be not as "good" as a similarly priced intel board, Overclocking the memory can become (very) tricky, and as Mulsiphix said, doesn't really offer substantial improvements in "real world" tests such as gaming, unless you have a very high processor overclock.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  10. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    Why a 650i ?? A P35 board would be much better. And why not get a Core 2 Quad Q6600 for just $50 more?..

11. dB

dB Ancient Guru

GPU:
    88GTS 512M@830/2050/2.2g
    Read my last post about the 650i vs. P35 issue. I do agree with you about the quad core though. $50 more for a Quad core isn't bad at all.

12. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    You're wrong. Intel and Via chipsets were the first to allow you to un-link your memory from your FSB -- Pretty much all Chipsets now allow you to do that.

13. dB

dB Ancient Guru

GPU:
    88GTS 512M@830/2050/2.2g
    I personally own the Asus P5B Deluxe, and I can assure you that memory and FSB can not be unliked. The only thing that you can do, is set different bootstraps so that your memory can run at its "native" freq. without overclocking the FSB. The P35 works with the same idea. I am not sure about the X38 chipset though, but that is way over his price range anyways.

14. TheSpartan117

GPU:
    Well, dirtbiker. I don't mean to completely shoot down your ideas but, getting an 8800GT, wouldn't that jump the price over $1000? I know I said I have a limited budget and I'm trying not to exceed $1000, but if it is for truly worthwhile upgrades and I get some bang for my buck (value), I'd be more than willing to go with the ideas you have listed. Thanks for all the support, Mulsiphix and you too dirtbiker. I swear I'm not sure where I'd be with a newegg build if I didn't have good ideas from you guys. Keep the ideas flowing though. They are a tremendous help.

15. TheSpartan117

GPU:
    :pc1: :biggun: :arnie: :infinity:

16. TheSpartan117

GPU:
    P.S. Mulsiphix, I don't mind at all if you link to my build on my thread. It will more than likely help me to get more ideas for improvements in my build.

17. TheSpartan117

GPU:
    Mulsiphix, what kind of fan do I need to purchase in order to get that side exhaust to work? Would I buy another rear exhaust fan or is there a difference between the rear exhaust fan and the side exhaust fan? BTW, dirtbiker. I actually looked up some graphics cards in PC World's magazine. The one I have now, it has a page with all the graphics cards they tested and their average FPS. Based upon the performance of the card I've chosen to get with my build, that card is very good and it will definitely give me some good FPS when I'm playing Crysis.

18. TheSpartan117

GPU:
    Sorry to make another post but I'm also thinking of maybe once I get my computer built, I'll look into buying a Samsung 22'' LCD Monitor. Hopefully a widescreen one so I can make full use of the graphics card's high resolutions.

19. TheSpartan117

GPU:
  20. TheSpartan117

GPU:
    I just updated my Intel Core 2 Duo Build with 2 new parts. I took the advice from dirtbiker and switched the OCZ Platinum memory with the Crucial Ballistix he recommended and I also switched the processor to an Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66Ghz LGA 775 Processor. Not only is it $35 less, it has a 1333Mhz FSB and it has a 95% 5 egg rating on Newegg. So that gives plenty of reason to switch to that processor. I hope you guys like what I did to my build. I thought it over a long time and I realized I should switch the processor and memory.:thumbup:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007