New 8800 vista drivers due soon

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by aleicgrant, Jan 26, 2007.

1. tupelo20

tupelo20 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 SSC in SLI
    All I said was that I ain't gonna be an early adapter anymore because of bad driver support.
    What you say is of course partially true.
    But in my eyes they pushed the 8800 series out to soon just so they could be on top of ATI's 1950 XTX they could also wait releasing this card. And launch it with better drivers. It did state Vista ready on the box

Without proper drivers even my vacuum cleaner is "VISTA ready"

But then they had to directly compete with ATI's R600.

It is still a monstercard, who cannot even show its full potential because no real DX 10 apps or games are here.

We will see what the first officially released VISTA driver brings.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  2. Massyboy

Massyboy Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX

In Vista, the OEM licence IS being tied to the motherboard (there's a load of topics on the overclockers site) but I knew this before I bought my copy and was more than happy for this to be the case. Why? Because Vista costs £400 for the retail. If I upgrade my mother board twice in the future and have to buy another 2 copies of the OEM version then it will still only have come out at £320 so why would I cry? Haha. It's a great move and when I sell on the motherboard, I can just include Vista with it, so boosting the price a little so I'm more than happy to go with OEM

3. Unearthly

Unearthly Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTS 640mb
    If you download the Direct X SDK (December) there are Direct X 10 samples/demonstrations. These include things like displacement mapping and using geometry shaders new to DX10.

These demos run and perform much better than when you choose to disable their DX10 specific features. Though, the fact that they run should be proof enough DX10 is working. They don't run in XP at all (excepting a few odd ones). They simply crash or don't start.

4. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    hmm..... i just might have to download this SDK. is the one you are talking about the same thing they show on the NVidia page about the 8-series, where it's the form-changing rocks with water flowing down them, with the rock being altered by the geometry shaders and the flow of water being calculated by it's built-in physics chip?

5. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Its not bull dude...sry to say. You change the MB on OEM copy it will crap out. Thats why its OEM...you usually dont change the MB on OEM. Its MS's way of keeping resellers from selling OEM stuff.

Piece of advice to all PLS BUY RETAIL!. :bounce:

It cost me 160 bucks for Home Premium Retail upgrade. I already have an XP disk here so no need to buy a full version. All i gotta do is install Vista and stick the XP disk in for it to check before installing Vista.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  6. stgeorge

stgeorge Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTX
    Boy, are you in for a surprise. Vista Upgrade editions will NOT clean-install. You must install XP first then upgrade to Vista from within XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/930985/en-us

7. Unearthly

Unearthly Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTS 640mb
    No, it's the developer pack that you get from MSDN. It's to help people develop for Windows. It includes the c++ files for all of the demos included, so you can see how they make those fancy effects.

Get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...23-f2f9-4f57-91aa-6db27fb8305f&displaylang=en

8. Princess_Frosty

Princess_Frosty Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II
    Looks like the OEM copies of Vista are significantly more picky when it comes to what hardware you change, you have to phone up MS to re-activate Vista if you so much as change a hard drive or even disable/reenable an onboard LAN device.

That's no real supprise to me, OEM is designed for system builers where most of the consumers are people who buy a prebuilt system because they don't want to be tinkering around under the hood.

9. Kermit_the_frog

Kermit_the_frog Master Guru

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    I stand corrected it would seem, but reactivate for a simple disable/re-enable of a LAN.. I find that one a little far fetched.

And we all know there will be work arounds as always :cheers:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  10. drpeppir

drpeppir New Member

GPU:
    2x G80 SLi

11. kyleslater

kyleslater New Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTX
    I've been puzzling over that too... When I installed FS X it ran as a x86 program... I would have thought that they at least would have made use of x64 for FS X... Oh well. Driver crash and reinstall with 100.30's as that is the newest x64's I can find.