New 7900XT, HDR + Fullscreen issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by brutlern, Jan 17, 2023.

Tags:
  1. brutlern

brutlern Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 X Gaming
    I just got a new 7900XT, after many years on nvidia. So far performance is great, the AMD software has a bit of learning curve but it's ok (last time I used AMD software was on an HD7870, and it was called Catalyst I think). But I have discovered a problem. I cannot use HDR + Fullscreen, atm in 2 games, Shadow of the Tomb Raider and NFS Unbound. Whenever I turn HDR on, the frame rate dies, the GPU goes into idle mode (almost like it's not detecting that a game is running, and it thinks it's sitting in idle on the desktop). HDR + Windowed mode works fine, also AutoHDR + Fullscreen also works (where AutoHDR is available). I've been in contact with another person on another forum who, he has a 7900XTX and he does not have this behavior so it's something on my end, or something specific to 7900 XT.

Edit: Just tested Spiderman, same thing, HDR + Fullscreen dies, AutoHDR + Fullscreen works fine.

Edit 2: Apparently I'm not alone, found this thread on AMD, it seems to be a driver issue for 7900XT(X) https://community.amd.com/t5/graphi...xtx/m-p/573733/thread-id/93222/highlight/true

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
  2. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    Are you using 10-bit pixel format?
    At 22.7.1 AMD made a note in their driver release notes, that they were disabling HDR if 10-bit pixel format was enabled.

For using HDR in Windows, disable 10-bit pixel format in graphic settings and enable 10bpc color depth in the display settings.

pegasus1 likes this.
  3. brutlern

brutlern Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 X Gaming
    Yes, I know, but it's disabled, so it's not that. If it were, than HDR would be disabled/greyed out/unavailable. But HDR is available and working, it's just that the GPU goes to idle mode when it's turned on in a fullscreen program. Still searching for what it could be.

4. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    did you DDU your nvidia drivers?

5. brutlern

brutlern Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 X Gaming
    I found the issue. It was the Overlay from AMD Adrenaline software. For some reason, the overlay + HDR, causes the problem. I turned off the overlay and performance is back to normal. Already reported the bug to AMD. Going back to RTSS for monitoring.

Alessio1989 and pegasus1 like this.