New 4870, terrible performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Newfgamer, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
    Q6600 running stock at 2.4, when I was running a pair of 8800gt's in SLI I was getting over 16K in 3dmark 06.

Also the drivers on the CD would install but when I rebooted it had an error saying that there was no supported hardware so I installed the 8.7 beta again.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  2. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
    I am also considering a new motherboard, if the 4870 works out I may be interested in crossfire, I could use some suggestions on which board to go with but it needs to fit my dell 630i case cause it's nice and shiny :nerd:

3. KillerJoe

KillerJoe Member

GPU:
    HD4870 @ 800/1100
    @ OP: Your problems with the HD4870 are weird. I do also agree, that it is probably not your PSU.. Try a complete reinstall of everything and check all your connections. Maybe just some glitch in the OS or so.

@ Order_66: 2x 8800GT in SLI should outperform a single HD4870, I think. And the amount of memory doesn't really have an impact on your 3dmark scores anyways. Overclock your quad core (remember aftermarket cooling) and overclock your video card too - even with stock cooling (fan @ 20%) I can easily run my card @ 790/1100.

4. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    It sounds like his card it running in 2D/Low Power 3D Mode, so check the BIOS in RBE.

Also, Age of Conan has a bug were it always runs in 2D/Low Power 3D Mode, if you turn all the shaders and everything else you will get more fps... check the AOC forum for details. They have not fixed it yet I think.

For Crysis test it on high everything against your old card (not medium, if thats what you did). You should actually run all games in highest settings as that is what this chip is for.

The 3DMark06 score has little meaning as it adds in your CPU too heavily, use a fps benchmark like "DEVIL MAY CRY 4 TRIAL", "FUR" or "LightsMark" and compare with results on the web from someone with a similar system. FUR will be the best test for the GPU on it's own.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008

5. Astrotoy7

Astrotoy7 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX295 Co-op 1.79GB
    one little trick to keep in mind. Long story as to how I figured it out, but needless to say I was getting terrible performance from my 'high end' card when I first installed it a year-ish ago (the one I still have). When I first installed it, It was stuck in vista basic and didnt game at all.

After installing card, drivers etc > go to c>windows>performance>winsat >> delete the XML file in there. These are your "WEIndex" ratings. After youve deleted them, run the rating app again. You should now get updated ratings in and vista now allows your card to be properly recognised.

Anytime you change/upgrade any type of hardware, its recommended you do this before getting all nerdcrazy and doing a full reformat :p

astro