New 4870, terrible performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Newfgamer, Jul 18, 2008.

1. philheckler

philheckler Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx470 SLI

My apologies - i'd been following another thread on another forum where a guy really was trying to run his 4870 on cheap 400w psu - I got confused which thread i was replying to - doh!

2. D3lta

D3lta Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD7970 DCU2
    Bad PSU, Bad CPU :biggun: :banana:

Change the PSU, for now.

3. sTOrM41

sTOrM41 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1500 MHz
    the psu is strong enough.

4. Flames21891

Flames21891 Member

GPU:
    2x Diamond Radeon HD 4870
    That's odd. I know it's not the fault of the card because I get an average of about 50 fps with Crysis on High.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't a lot of the newer ATi cards come with some LED's that light up if there's a problem? I know my old 2900XT's lit up if they didn't get enough power (I forgot to plug them in one time :bang:) so if it is a power issue I assume the lights would come on.

Really though, it could be a bad card, but it would be weird to just get low fps with no artifacts or bugs.

How far did you turn up the fan speed? I put mine at 75% which keeps it at a fairly decent temperature.

5. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 1060 6gb
    Guys WTF is wrong with you he has 600W no bad quality PSU.
    IT cant be PSU (or else its damaged somehow giving less power).
    I am using 550W PSU with 3 rails v12(18A each) , and its more than enough.
    I Actualy tried CF with that psu and it worked ( tho second card was on PCIE 4x).

6. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 1060 6gb
    75% THATS laud lol.

Why dont you use 30% constant ?

IDLE : 59-62 ( depends on room temperature :p)
    LOAD : 90 (full gpu load )

Quite acceptable temps and silent fan :)

7. Flames21891

Flames21891 Member

GPU:
    2x Diamond Radeon HD 4870
    Well, I live in a desert for one so I really need it and I meant that I turn it up to 75% for games. I simply do it to make sure I get the most out of the card, I don't want any performance loss due to heat. As for the noise, yeah it's a little loud but I have a decent speaker setup so when I'm gaming I can't hear it anyways.

8. Billious45

Billious45 New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870HD 512MB

Sorry if I've misunderstood how you installed the 8.6 hotfix drivers but did you install these over the top of the vanilla 8.6 Cats? If so I'd try thoroughly cleaning out the ATI drivers and then reinstalling just the 8.6 Hotfix drivers as these are a complete package. Might help?

FWIW I went from a 'lowly' 8800GTS 320MB to a Sapphire 4870 and the frame rates in Crysis and Mass Effect are a big improvement over the old card.

HTH

B

9. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Power color vega 64
    I was very disappointed yesterday when I got my 4870 only to find there are no current drivers on the ATI/AMD site.
    Never had this problem with nvidia.

10. Agizor

Agizor Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 512MB
    I haven't had a single problem yet with the Hotfix drivers.

Played Crysis, WoW, Bioshock, CoD4, DMC4, and a few others...

Though yeah, not having any 'official' up 2 date drivers is pretty lame.

11. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Power color vega 64
    Yeah the drivers seem to at least "work" in the games I have tried but benchmark performance just plain sucks and overdrive doesn't work at all, also I can only get pcie 8x instead of x16, reinstalled the nforce drivers and it didn't fix it.

12. Agizor

Agizor Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 512MB
    I get like 15k in 3dmark 06.

Anyway, if games work, whats the problem? Since when did synthetic benchmark programs really matter, anyway?

13. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Power color vega 64
    I only get 12k in 3dmark 06, which is plain horrible for a quadcore with 8 gigs and this videocard.

I just installed the DNA drivers, no difference at all, I get decent framerates but I get flickering in UT3 and PK Overdose during heavy fighting.

I also installed rivatuner but it says the driver is unsupported and it wont let me change to x16 or do any overclocking like I had hoped.

If I could get the overdrive to work and be able to get x16 I would be a lot happier, at least it isn't crashing, I'm hoping a decent driver release will fix these things.

14. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    If you're running Vista x64 DO NOT install the hotfix or any beta driver, use the drivers provided on your installation CD's.

I reinstalled the OS 3 times until I figured it out that the problem lies in the beta drivers.

I'd wait for the Catalyst 8.7 final...

15. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB

I blame your motherboard. Check the bios, something might still be wrong.

The videocard may not work properly at all with that motherboard, search the web and see if people share your problem.

16. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Power color vega 64
    I guess I spoke too soon about not having game issues, I will try the CD drivers and I really hope that ATI releases something within the next week.

17. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Power color vega 64
    The motherboard was fine with the nvidia cards, I was running SLI first then went to single card and didn't have any real issues.

18. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    You might need to reinstall the OS. Windows has the bad habit of keeping the most recent versions even if you uninstall and reinstall an older version. (Especially Vista)

19. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Power color vega 64

I can understand that but if I use both drivercleaner.net and driver sweeper shouldn't that take care of any old drivers? I boot into safe mode and run both programs every time I change drivers.

20. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    Hmm, 3DMark06 is highly CPU dependent. What quad cpu do you have and what clock speed?