New 1440p monitor, DL\DSR values listed are for 4k.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by TimmyP, Sep 24, 2022.

1. TimmyP

TimmyP Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Cant find anything on this.

I have a BenQ Ex3203r, native 1440p.

My DLDSR values are 5120x2880 (1.78x) and 5760x3240 (2.25x). These are for 4k monitors.

All DSR values listed are for 4k monitors as well, with 4xDSR being 7680x4320!

I have tried everything: CRU, DDU, clean installs... Nothing lets me choose proper DLDSR resolutions derived from 1440p. They are not there no matter what.

Any ideas? This pretty much makes DSR and DLDSR useless on this screen.

2. Lurk

Lurk Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080
    In your same boat and the only way to get it working is to disable ALL 4k resolutions using a tool which modifies monitor EDID called CRU (Custom Resolution Utility).
    If you are familiar with this utility, on my particular screen model it involved more than just wiping 4k resolutions from EDID as I had to delete an entire data block thus loosing higher refresh rates, which in turn forced me to create a custom resolution to get 144 and 165Hz back.

I did extensive testing through trial and error and it was the only way to have Nvidia drivers create DSR resolutions derived from my native and look correct on my monitor.

I can fully and quickly replicate this procedure on my setup now, but I am afraid each monitor has its peculiar EDID setup, which means that you might not be able to obtain the same result on your screen and your EDID might require different modifications.
    Obviously no word on the web, not that I know of, and no word from Nvidia provided they are even aware.
    I brought up the issue on the DSR thread when Nvidia first implemented it, but got no answer.
    I'm not waiting for it to be fixed either.

CRU's thread is almost 700 pages long, there might be some info hidden there if you have (plenty of) time.

Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) (monitortests.com)

Willing to help you out if needed, CRU shouldn't be too dangerous to use unless you start messing with timings, but it does require to fiddle around a bit to figure it out, lots of settings to check.

EDIT: I realized all of the above applies to Image Scaling, while your problem is with DSR, but if the drivers create scaling resolutions based on your monitor's 4k resolutions, I assume the CRU method should still apply.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  3. TimmyP

TimmyP Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I got it.

Solution was use CRU to remove anything related to resolution from "extension blocks" on the bottom. The monitor had resolution profiles for 4k and UW ratios, which the DSR values were being derived from for some reason. Despite the monitor being detected as 1440p.

If I removed all the blocks, like the one for color, I would lose HDR.