Network sharing in LG smart tv

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by NecroDemonNZXT, Nov 4, 2012.

1. NecroDemonNZXT

NecroDemonNZXT Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD4850
    Hello every1,

I recently purchased a new LG smart 3D TV, and im wondering whether I could simply str3am video content directly through my shared network files. You see, the TV connects to my home network, it can access the internet and I can see an option to browse my main desktop shared files, however, the signal is really weak which causes the connection to be unstable, thus giving me errors in both internet and local activities. If some1 could confirm that I can do what I asked without purchasing a media center or something like that, I could get a cheap wifi extender which will help with the signal. Id rather avoid constantly moving files to flash or external HDDs, cause I would have to buy a better one, not to mention time lost copying those big BR videos.

thanx in advance

2. Chess

Chess Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    1st, you have to realize that moving big files over the WiFi can be a VERY lengthy process.
    Cat5 cable with gigabit is way more suited for it. So I *think* ******ing over WiFi is going to be an unsatisfactory experience. If you have a detachable WiFi antenna ( not built in ) you could try building a Coffee can antenna. A very handy DIY antenna which boosts the signal quite a bit. A WiFi repeater could help, but I would advise against it. Better off with a Cat5 Gigabit cable connection for media, for reasons above.

Also, check if you can't replace your modem/ access point to a place with better connections.

3. NecroDemonNZXT

GPU:
    ATI HD4850

Ty very much for ur reply. Im not interested in moving files over to the TV, just stre3ming movies to it. You think a wifi with a satisfactory signal isnt enough to watch a movie the way its supposed to be viewed?

Leaving aside the wireless connectivity, can you assure me(from ur personal experience perhaps) that the tv is capable of str3aming video directly from the network if I hook it up to my router using a cat5?

4. Chess

Chess Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    Well, To be frank, I have no idea what kind of standard you use :)
    B, G, N ? I *thought* HD would be possible starting from G or you'd need to pre-load ( Buffer ). Check the speed of the HD ****** you use ( 720i / p or 1080i / p ) and compare to the practical speed you average at in you WiFi. For example ( Wikipedia ):

Blu-ray Disc
    Blu-ray Discs are able to hold 1080p HD content, and most movies released on Blu-ray Disc produce a full 1080p HD picture when the player is connected to a 1080p HDTV via an HDMI cable. The Blu-ray Disc video specification allows encoding of 1080p23.976, 1080p24, 1080i50, and 1080i59.94. Generally this type of video runs at up to 40 megabits per second, compared to the 3.5 megabits per second for conventional standard definition TVs.

WiFi N standard
    802.11n is an amendment which improves upon the previous 802.11 standards by adding multiple-input multiple-output antennas (MIMO). 802.11n operates on both the 2.4 GHz and the lesser used 5 GHz bands. It operates at a maximum net data rate from 54 Mbit/s to 600 Mbit/s. The IEEE has approved the amendment and it was published in October 2009.[14][15] Prior to the final ratification, enterprises were already migrating to 802.11n networks based on the Wi-Fi Alliance's certification of products conforming to a 2007 draft of the 802.11n proposal.

As you can see, it would be possible when you'd have full signal strength of a N standard WiFi to ****** a HD movie as 40Mbit/s < 54Mbit/s.
    ( I think the 600Mbit/s is not for home solutions ).
    That is in optimal range and without distortions though.

I hope me explanation is correct and helpful :)

5. NecroDemonNZXT

GPU:
    ATI HD4850
    thank you for the insight. the thing is, making external subs play through media servers is a lot harder than it should be, so im back to flash drives!