Network Shared Folder Configuration

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Robox1, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Robox1

Robox1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX670
    Hi guys, I need some advice on how to configure sharing a folder over the network. The network consists of 3 Pcs with Windows operating system, connected to the same router. One of the three Pc will have to host a folder with some files to share with the other two Pc.

My doubts are as follows:

1) If I leave the password-protected sharing setting off from the advanced sharing settings of Windows, in terms of security and privacy, is it easy to find the shared folder from a PC (that is not part of the three Pcs that need to access the folder) that connects to the router or even from the outside?

2) If I activate the password protection above, does this ensure the safety of the working environment or does it need anything else?

3) if I activate the password, what should I enter as username and password when I try to access the folder from other Pc (the PC hosting the folder does not have a password on startup, if it is the one you should enter) ?

2. 386SX

386SX Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    1) If you dont route any port for SMB / NFS / whatever through your router to be opened from the outside, only LAN users have access. But everyone ...

2) I could go deep into ITsec, but for most setups a password protected share is sufficient.

3) Say PC01 is the "server", PC02 a "client".
    Create a user on PC01 and set a secure password. Do not grant admin rights!
    Create a folder on the drive you want to share or select a folder or select a whole disk and go to properties.
    Then click on sharing and then button advanced sharing.
    Set the checkmark to activate sharing, setup a name for the share (like MOVIES, DATA or whatever you like. Pro tip: put a "$" behind the name like DATA$ and the share is hidden, which means you dont see it in network neighborhood.) and click permissions.
    Now remove the user EVERYONE and add the user you just created (lets call him "access"). Check the marks to give ACCESS full access and save and exit the screen.
    Select the permissions tab in the properties window from the folder / drive.
    Add ACCESS as a user and set rights as you wish.
    Save and exit.

Go to PC02 and click on computer so you see all the drives in the main window, not just on the left.
    Open the menu, there should be "map a network drive" somewhere, which you should click.
    A new window opens, add the following path, change the names to the ones matching your setup:
    \\PC01\DATA

(with added "$" if you added one before)

Click the checkmark at "use alternative credentials" (iirc) and enter:
    PC01\ACCESS
    YouR!PassworD

Be sure you write the name of the server there, as this indicates where the user ACCESS is found.

If you like change the drive letter to any letter you want, even A: or B: are possible.

Good luck. :)

Edit: This is written out of my mind, probably I missed a bit or two.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    Robox1 likes this.
  3. Robox1

Robox1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX670
    Thank you very much for the information.

Is it necessary to set the IP of the PC hosting the folder as static or can I leave all the default settings?

386SX likes this.
  4. 386SX

386SX Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Computers have DNS info about their neighborhood.
    If you use the hostname everywhere the IP can be dynamic.
    It would be more reliable a bit and access will be a bit faster by static IP, but it is no requirement. ;)
    If you can, set a DHCP reservation for your server and IP is dynamically static. :D

Robox1 likes this.

5. Robox1

Robox1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX670
    Thank you very much. Everything works perfectly.
    Now, having resolved the issue of folder sharing and access, I would need to implement a backup system for data retention security.

What do you suggest I do?

I would have thought of a daily incremental backup of this folder on a second disk, and renew the full backup a couple of times a month:

- Do you think it is all right or do you recommend anything else?

- Also, could you advise me on some free software to do this?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  6. 386SX

386SX Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I use Acronis for full backups and robocopy for the remaining stuff like profile data, etc.

7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    If it's for your own home network with a couple pc's, Windows has probably most of what you need build in, both cloud, local and LAN.
    EaseUS Todo Backup seem to offer the most popular free version, so if you need more than what Windows can do or don't want to invest time in scripting for it that program could be a choice.