network question?

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by nicks1222, Jan 10, 2017.

1. nicks1222

nicks1222 Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 1080
    my brother just moved to a new place not that big but bigger then his old place and the modem is on 1 end in his friends room; He's on the other end and his internet is very slow and wont always connect can anybody help. He just got a net gear Wi-Fi range extender to see if that helps.

2. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    1st and foremost try to put the modem in diffrent locations and as high as possible at all times away from any other electrical devices that might cause interference.Run ookla speedtest and copy the results.....

2nd if that does not work try running that wi-fi range extender and check for results,If all else fails do what I did, upgrade the modem itself......I can tell you I had a starter (x-finity) modem (very cheep) and was not getting 1/10th the advertised speed,Lucky for me I found a (Newer) xfinity model laying around the house that I managed to use without them turning my shyat off. Now all Is perfect on my end, The speed is there,wi-fi is great shared between 5 family members,low-ping so I am happy at this point.

Try and find out the model of modem and let me know? Good luck.

3. nicks1222

nicks1222 Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 1080
    Model is a netgear wn2000rptv2. I'm going over there today.

4. nicks1222

nicks1222 Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 1080
    ookla
    Ping 10ms and download speed 11mbps and upload is 1.43

I went to network and settings and click on repair that work for a few then I left thinking it was fixed it's now slow again.

His friend has a Pace 5268AC Router.

5. Optimus1357

Optimus1357 New Member

GPU:
    AMD 1GB
    What kind of wiring does your friend and his friend's room share? For example, are they on the same electrical circuit breaker? Do you have any coaxial running between the rooms? Ethernet?

The best way to fix the problem (maybe not easist) is to run a ethernet wire from where the router is and where his friend's room is. There are other options, but they decrease in order of performance; Ethernet > Coaxial(MOCA) > Powerline(electrical) > Wireless.

If money isn't a issue, another option would to call your ISP and see if they can set up a room mate account or add a second modem to the account. You would have to pay extra for the service, but that way your speed isn't divided between you two.