Netgear Announces 10GBASE-T Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR700 AD Wifi Router

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Netgear today debuted the today debuted their Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR700 Wifi Router. NPG XR700 router sports cutting-edge hardware with its AD7200 Quad Stream Wave2 WiFi.

Read more

2. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    wonder how many people using/getting router that cost more than $300

i personally think not worth paying $500 for single router
    i would rather pay that much for wifi-mesh kit, and get great wifi coverage in house
    for wifi range well i guess depends on size and placement, but still cant be better than multi-spot wifi-mesh right?

3. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Were is advantage of 1- 10Gbit port? You will need to for 10 Gbit connection. Its good maybe if you have some file server which is used by multiple users at same time so all of them could have 1Gbit at same time.. but its not too often on home network.. I thing that 10Gbit to single client would be much better.

4. michael_k_woods

michael_k_woods Guest

GPU:
    |2| Asus GTX 670
    What is the difference between this router and the Nighthawk X10? Perhaps, the OS is better?

5. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    That is a 10Gbit SFP port for fiber, not a CAT6/CAT6a, so you could theoretically hook this up to separate network device that has a fiber connection, hook in directly to a connection from your ISP - assuming you have access to fiber, or use a media converter to go from your ethernet to fiber and then connect direct to a client. Its very strange to me that they opted for SFP on a "gaming" device. How many consumers are going to know what this is and how to use it?

Glanced at both of the spec sheets for them when I was trying find info about the 10Gbit. Looks like they are identical except for the firmware / software features and the actual case that it is housed in. I guess Netgear is trying to spin off "Nighthawk" into its own brand as well...

6. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    I'm pretty sure a router with OpenWRT would be more effective than this in 98% of occasions except if you NEEEEEED the AD/AC wifi, and the range from stock software that comes from software guessing.

an OLD wndr3800 that can be found for $30-50
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RToWYx2HdDxgPL5Tvs-KooRwJVQEOgyx/view?usp=sharing

my ATT LTE connection, before it was D and F in bufferbloat scores, now it's Bs or As, depending how much throttling I get at the antenna level, but I play UT alpha just fine with no lag and 5 more devices in my network streaming netflix and twitch and FB
    http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/36305201

other bonus of the OpenWRT is ad-blocking, which I have whitelisted
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GWbPBvcOiWCwwgASxSa73kNKYMqSgaL5/view?usp=sharing

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  7. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    This guy..... Because the last router I bought was regular $300 and I got it for like $180 on eBay, but had a nightmare getting it to work properly.

So this go'round i bought one from a reputable source, so as I would have no issues.

Mine is the ASUS AX88U or something..... I expect to keep this router for at least four to five years just like the last one. So to me the money is well spent and can always be added onto as well. With Asus's great AI Mesh.

8. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    [​IMG]https://photos.app.goo.gl/QxRtTL9MSXZ7P11o9 link if the picture doesn't pop up

[​IMG]

still using the same WNDR3800 router from 2010 or older... but the difference is stock firmware vs Openwrt
    this ultra expensive routers for me have almost no value if it doesn't fix the internet bufferbloat

and this is on a 4G connection

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018