Netflix shows first official photos of characters from the TV series The Witcher

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 2, 2019.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Have you tried the movie I Am Mother ?.. I just watched that the other day and quite enjoyed it.. although yeah the selection of shows in general is getting pretty bad, I originally got netflix because of Stranger Things.

Fox2232 likes this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Fixed it for you. :D

Solfaur likes this.
  3. Urban83

Urban83 Guest

The one and only true Geralt...
    [​IMG]

anticupidon, Solfaur and fantaskarsef like this.
  4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    As much as I like Mads, if he were 10 years younger, he would have been great. Since remember, even if Geralt in the books/games is very old, he looks "young" (minus the white hair that he got from the trials and dozens of scars after), due to his mutations.

Also, looking at the female actor's (especially Yenn) age, it would have been really, really awkward to have a 25-30 year older Geralt actor.

5. k3lt

k3lt Active Member

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1060 6GB
    Yes she had a huge scar on her face - Skellen threw an orion in her face which almost took her eye with it. (and it's coming from the book i did read them)
    Geralt had scars aswell, 1 example from Last Wish book:

"She slit your neck open quite thoroughly. One could see everything you have inside there."
    "You shouldn't have allowed yourself to get wounded, but you did, and very seriously at that. Fatally even."

Netflix Ciri is unrecognizable. This would be pretty accurate with the book descriptions:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Fox2232 and Solfaur like this.
  6. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    If they stick to the books, I will be very interested.

7. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    My bad. I did not recall that part. For Geralt, I recall multiple scars description on his body/neck but not on his face. Does he have one around the eye also?

For the show, it depends when the photo is supposed to take place in the history. Can be before those events. (even if she looks a bit too old in that case)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  8. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Not a fan of Sapkowski's writing. The guy is basically a plagiarist anyway who has made a name by blatantly ripping off other, more superior fantasy writers like Michael Moorcock.

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I didn't know that... interesting. Just a few clicks after you find books by him which are what, 20 years older than Sapkowski's, and already contain "White Wolf" in the title, and a pick of a white haired guy on the book :D

But you know how it goes... often you just have to get away with plagiarism (many many works of PhD holders are in fact 40% copies and quotes), and you have to land a big deal (like Sapkowski did), or it's not really successful.

sdamaged99 likes this.
  10. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Yup, Elric of Melnibone. One of the greatest fantasy characters ever, complete with arguably the greatest fantasy weapon ever, Stormbringer (which inspired MANY copies like Soul Edge, Soul Reaver, Frostmourne etc etc)

Oh and just to add, Elric was 33 years before The Witcher.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019

11. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    The guy pretty much stated that he went into writing from a business man perspective and taht the only reason why he went with fantasy was money. He saw after the short stories that they sold like hot cakes and decided it was the right tit to milk.

I do like the books, mainly because they led to one of my favorite games series ever, but the writer is a huge asshole, imo (so I would not be surprised about plagiarism). Glad he got that settlement with cdprojekt done, though if by chance the TV series will be a big success, I can see him somehow complaining that he isn't getting enough money again. :p

12. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Only the last two / three books as she doesn't acquire that scar until she encounters Bonhart and his crew near the start of the second / third last book. As far as I am aware the Netflix show is meant to be starting from the start, i.e before Geralt got his Butcher of Blaviehkein (spelling??) title.

To be honest I would love for them to get to Bonhart in the show.

Fox2232 likes this.
  13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Elven origin, has child, ... very different story. Fantasy worlds are full of similar characters. What makes good story is ability to put all aspects together.

Would I call Sapkowski's books based on our national history plagiarism? No, they are very good even while mostly fictional.
    Would I call his Afghanistan book plagiarism? No, it is very interesting fantasy which takes location and situation only as something that may be familiar to reader to some small degree.

He gives his characters quite interesting minds and creates his worlds/circumstances uniquely enough.

k3lt likes this.