Netflix raises prices again.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by chispy, Jan 15, 2019.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Exactly. I can only say, here in Austria you have the following choices: netflix, amazon prime video, maxdome (which only has old TV movies for another 10€ per month), and Sky's offerings for VOD (which is quite more costly than all the others combined ofc).
    Netflix and amazon here have for a long time sharde the licenses for new releases like Marvel movies etc., which will die when Disney launches, since they will certainly do it world wide. They got the money and ambition for that.
    So no hulu, NBC, HBO etc. here that could even compete with netflix / amazon on the same scale. Once any of those branches over in the German language area, netflix probably dies rather quickly.

2. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    We do have netflix, amazon and nowtv.

Considering getting rid of one of them.......(bare in mind got nowtv movies £55 for a year ;) )

3. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Seriously considering getting rid of Amazon you know, i mean half the stuff on amazon is just crap anyway.......

fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    No choice but to swallow the extra cost. My Netflix subscription is shared with my family and my sister's family and I won't cut them off.

Netflix in Canada used to be quite limited before but now the selection is quite good. If needed, I can use a VPN to change regions but don't really need to most of the time.

I currently subscribe to Netflix and Google Play and share it with my sis. I may occasionally buy a BluRay movie but streaming is basically the thing to do right now.

5. “Many doesn’t assume most” and just because they have a massive user base doesn’t mean they’re secure or that my speculation isn’t valid. My point stands. We’re living in a digital age where illegal content is rampant and easily accessible just as well as Netflix is. Cost has its limits.

“Massive user base” - famous last words

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's not as easily accessible though, and it's definitely not as user friendly to go the illegal route.

I pay more for my VPN than my wife does for Netflix, or Amazon Prime.

Obviously it's not that difficult to go the illegal route, but the anti-piracy groups have made it difficult enough that it deters the majority of average people just can't be bothered.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  7. I agree to a point. I'd counter some things can be easily accessible yet concede hard to configure (so yes, not user-friendly, ie Kodi/piracy). A collective of Netflix-like cloned streaming sites hosting free movies and tv shows aren't hard to find via a quick Google search. The caveat to them though - many ads - less front-end automation, high-server load etc.

On the other hand... like you said "not as easily accessible" so there's the paid route. The support.. the time and effort of the working class supporting a system around the clock for their user-base. That user-base paying for that support and content. Cross-platform optimization. People getting off the routine of daily work-life and wanting to relax - kick up their feet and just hit "on" and have it "work". I acknowledge this.

I also acknowledge Cable kept pushing the line further, and further and further until I now wonder how many Netflix and other Streaming-Subscription service based customers are former Cable-contract customers, now "Cord Cutters" ? Would be interesting to see poll data on that...and in a sense use as a "baseline" of what to or not to do...as it proceeded current-day mediums far as content delivery. (Least it's one that did for TV & Film) - it's still around but took a noticeable loss in percentage of the market. (Don't get me wrong cable is strong but not in the sense it was when even I was a kid)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2019
    chispy likes this.
  8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Yet another CEO who has been bullied by the shareholders.

This, is what happens when you float a company, have a meteoric rise in the share price, then hit market saturation with nowhere else to go.

I just checked, but bare in mind I am in the UK - they don't even sell t-shirts on their website...that's...pretty poor management decision making. Seriously poor. They have got how many movies/shows/series? And they DIDN'T think to offer apparel through their site??? Madness.

They wouldn't even need to directly sell it, they could just get a referral fee by linking the customer to the company who does...all the Marvel Movie money not being reaped...just shocking behavior from a managers perspective.

Free money? Nah, that's ok, I'll just up the price of the subscription instead.

Handy tip to any manager out there: when you reach a plateau, you don't pitch a tent and take a few selfies, hell no; you look to the horizon at the next plateau. I promise you though, when you do that through the bi-noc-lu-ars, you will see me, waving backatcha.

Sometimes...just sometimes...the decisions businesses make astound me.

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I wish there was one, almost perfect series/movies streaming service like Spotify is for me regarding music :<
    Netflix has a lot of stuff but most things are mediocre. HBO has really good things but there's too little of it.

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    QFT.

My issue always was, that you can't get every show or movie in one package or service. Always has been like that because the different companies can't seem to realise that a single portal would net them all more money because EVERYBODY would have it. They prefer to each invest in their own infrastructure (even if it's just rented on farms) as well as the software needed, because they can't seem to share licenses... it's all about license wars... reminds me about how back in the day blu ray won because it had the better movie studio support / licenses for bringing movies to discs in comparison to HD DVD or what it was called again :D

Netherwind likes this.

11. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    There's plenty of apparel and action figures for their original content shows that can be found in just about any big retailer.
    Take a look at the crazy amount of original content they are producing. The increase in price is no doubt funding that.

12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    But not on their site (in)directly.

My comment stands.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  13. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    So in order for them to be a successful company they need to sell T-Shirts? That's a pretty silly argument you have.

airbud7 likes this.
  14. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Say what!

[​IMG]

:p

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    It's like games :) There used to be only Steam, now there is Origin, Uplay, GOG, Epic, Glyph and a bunch more I don't even know what they're called :) If the biggest of them would group up together and create a really great platform (Steam is like a grandpa nowadays) EVERYONE would get it and they would all benefit by making great games that we all want.

16. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    That is not what I am saying - I'm saying if you need more revenue (and hopefully profit) then you add more revenue streams into your business. I must also respectfully add that Netflix is already successful, but the problem here is not whether they are successful or not, it is how to increase their revenue, and yes; selling apparel either directly or indirectly through their website (lowest barrier of entry) is one very easy way to do it.

Remember - I am not saying they have to have an entire logistics and delivery system setup, as one could simply get affiliate links directly to (for example) the Marvel/Disney store and get paid for each successful referral.

This idea is just off the top of my head, if I had a week to think up other (potential) revenue streams, versus an actual blanket draconian increase in the subscription charge, I could come up with tonnes more. I think anyone here could, too. The problem as highlighted by myself and by them, is the share price and shareholders in general.

Never float a company. Ever. You lose control and end up being the ***** of the shareholders, because they are (basically) your business partners.

ninja edit:

140 million subscribers...that's 140 million potential t-shirts/hats/back packs/coffee mugs/scarfs/dolls/toys/games/shoes NOT being sold. Every. Single. Day.

Think about it...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  17. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I think a netflix coffee/tea mug would be quite cool.....

18. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I think that's a horrible idea. The more money and focus they take away from their main business model to create some side business that probably won't bring in any money just hurts their main revenue stream. If they were strictly a streaming service still I would say sure go for it, but now they just need to license out their IP and make other companies make the products. And that's exactly what they've done.

19. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    You think it won't bring in any additional revenue; and (potentially) hurts their main revenue stream?

Please...

Then riddle me this: why is it that Disney ét all offer the exact same thing I'm suggesting?

20. I like the way you think... :D