Netflix HDR On Windows 10 Only Supported on Intel or Nvidia GPUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    So you don't think game developers do any AMD specific optimizations at all on consoles? They just program the engine all willy-nilly and hope they hit decent performance metrics at runtime? ...

That's not how this works.

On Netflix? I don't think anyone cares about input lag. As for that slide, it requires games to implement and support specific monitor profiles, which means it will probably never happen.

2. MorganX

MorganX Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    I understand. I do the same with Amazon Prime, I watch using the TV app instead of loading it on the X1X, unless I want to use headphones, then I use X1X and the wireless headset. I ditched Netflix and Sling for Amazon Prime and Playstation Vue so I also have a FireTV stick, the devices do add up.

3. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    In before the last version of PlayReady will be cracked again...

4. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    Glad my 4k HDR TV has Netflix built in, otherwise I’d be angry. I hate how PC is being treated as the stepson nobody wants when it comes to HDR support. I’m more angry that Witcher 3 isn’t getting HDR on PC unlike Xbox, kick in the balls to the fanbase that made them. Anyway I’m going off-topic so I’ll shut up...

5. bensmooth

bensmooth Member Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti Elite Rev2
    i have a 980gtx ti how the heck it not supported to run HDR....when clearly it can handle it

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    This should not be a surprise, we have been dealing with this since the days of DVD, and it got so much worse when BluRay arrived.

A year or so ago, i started watching an old episode of 24 on my Tivo box at 1080p, and then resumed the next day on the PC and sat watching the OSD (unfortunate PC gamer affliction) waiting for it to jump to 1080p, and it just sat at 480p.
    I later Googled, and i think Fox had decided that on the PC HD streams were not available, even on the W8 DRM friendly app.

Using a PC as an HTPC is a hobby and purely for non legal content, for legal content it's a waste of time.

7. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    OFC they do specific optimization for AMD on consoles; that's obvious because consoles use AMD GPUs.What i think is that specific optimization is not "transfered" (lost in translation if you prefer) as many suggest to Windows ports of these console games (we saw horrendous examples like GOWS UE).

easy ports and DX 12 were not the promised mGPU savior or "Mantle 2.0" working in AMD favor.

AMD GPUs owners playing these game ports on Windows are not getting better performance over Nvidia GPU owners despite the Nvidia absence on consoles.

8. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    "This feature is the culmination of a multi-year collaboration between Netflix and a number of industry partners."

Someone obviously paid enough money on the side to make this feature "exclusive".
    Lol! I suppose that's the way it works in the business world.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    someone is paying someone to have this exclusive, nothing but BS everywhere you look

10. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    it is working on PS4/XBOX so technically AMD hardware is supported

11. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    This is only from DRM requirements. Once it gets cracked, widely, any PC able to decode and render HDR 4K video can play it.

12. AMDfan

AMDfan Guest

GPU:
    280X
    If you ask me NVIDIA payed Netflix to not support AMD hardware.... that will soon be over, when Intel uses Vega iGPU.......

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I doubt it has to do with anyone paying anything, as why would someone pay for a feature that will have minimal use on the PC.

It's because studios consider PC owners to be thieves so get hit with strict DRM requirements.

14. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Troll detected.

warlord likes this.
  15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Punisher/Godless were both released recently and both very good. New season of Black Mirror coming on the 29th should be good as well. Pretty sure all three are mastered in HDR.

Don't conflate having an advantage with the outcome of winning. Like I said, how do we know AMD's performance wouldn't be even worse without consoles? Like if AMD was sitting here with 27% marketshare on PC and 0% on console, I would almost guarantee that their performance overall would be worse.

The fact that they are in consoles and developers are essentially forced to get experience on their hardware means to some degree they are getting better performance on PC. Whether that's through architecture specific optimizations, or just familiarity with overall strengths. I think the best example is Kepler honestly which was weak in compute, but AMD was extremely strong. AMD gets in consoles suddenly there is a massive shift in gaming where compute is being utilized for tons of things, which is why Kepler's performance has trailed off and older cards like 7970 are not outperforming their Nvidia counterparts significantly. I don't think that would have happened without AMD being in consoles.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    sammarbella likes this.

16. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Companies only become greedier, and the voice of people (without which the "democracy" is just a rhetorical word) means nothing nowadays.
    But, what REALLY hurts, is a LIE. Bitter, rude lies and propaganda thrown into the face of public, as if people were all but perfect fools. I BET WITH ANYONE that this hdr thingie could run on a software level (emulation or whatever they call it) and be available to the great majority of users.
    But, noooo, oh nooo! rather, let us extort yet another pile of money from people's pockets so that we can get richer and they will get poorer...
    And again, like always, micro$oft is the leader of a scam, empire of evil and greed...

17. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I agree (mostly), it could have been worst without AMD GPUs presence on consoles.

But as we can clearly seen on console games ported to Windows it doesn't give AMD GPUs owners on PC a net advantage over Nvidia GPU owners for gaming.It only means it could have been even worst.(?!¿)

I also think you are right about AMD GPUs getting a better performance compared with their contemporary Nvidia competitors after 2 or more years but as we know ppl normally buy GPUs for their launch performance not their performance in +2 years when drivers are finally mature.

18. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    Of course PC owners are thieves, i freely admit that i am one of the biggest.
    Between all the work i have to do ,some gaming and of course Guru3d i haven't watch TV in years and i don't even know what is "popular to watch anymore. I heard about some series or movie "thrones" or something like that, never watched it and i don't intend to do,then some "hunger strikes" or something like that ditto. I don't think i miss anything , but i know for sure that TV companies are starting to miss all the revenue from me and millions others like me :)

19. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    I don't know anyone who watches TV anymore. With that in mind, what are the actual numbers for Netflix vs cable? Is it something like population up to 50 vs population from 50 and up? Also, do people that supposedly watch cable also get internet trough the same cable? Maybe they aren't watching the cable TV at all, like me. TV is just unavoidable part of the package. So in reality, who the hell watches TV? I am sort of forced to pay for it, but that doesn't mean I watch it. On the other side, people that pay for Netflix pay to watch content, not to look at address bar...or adds ...jeez...

PS. The bigger problem here is that you need to use Edge to watch Netflix in HDR. I guess it's a moron package deal right? Overpaying for HDR? Well, you probably use Edge anyway, and nVidia, because it's the best. We wish you the best. We also hope that Bezos doesn't pay enough to slow our internet traffic. Which he would totally do if he could. Oh wait, he can now. USA, the land of the free...rich people to do whatever they want.

20. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

He really is. 95% of his post are anti AMD bashing.

Though this is why I havent upgraded my HTPC. Still rocking a stock q6600, 5GB DDR2 800 and 8600 gts 256mb. I see zero point to this bullshite is completely sorted out. Im still happy with 1080p on my HTPC in bedroom for now.
    Yea 4k HDR would be lovely no doubt. But not paying for overpriced intel cpu, Nvidia GPU, and DDR4 just to have that outside of a TV app/console.

warlord likes this.