Netflix allows people to watch films and series without a subscription

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Ripcord

Ripcord Active Member

GPU:
    gtx1060 3GB
    Isn't that called BitTorrent lol

Maulet, Fediuld, rl66 and 3 others like this.
  3. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    +1

Just a comment, not advocating anything... :D

4. KotS

KotS Member

WebOs ?

5. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    I do not like the idea that my subscription money is being used to give people free content - not happy at all.

rl66 likes this.
  6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Well the free trial was also paid by your subscription fee... This should be of a lesser concern as there's not much choice.

Fediuld likes this.
  7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    Nope on bitorrent you can have better quality too ;)

just a point it doesn't work on iOS with Safari... the end of the sentence is important.

WalterDasTrevas likes this.
  8. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    Free trial is everything on a short period, now it is few but anytime... if you have taken a suscription and that all the movie you like are free at one moment, i would be pissed too to have subscribed.
    Anyway i don't like what's on netflix and all the compression, censorship, error of doubling, and the trash they left after doing a scene near my place (one year to fix everything that they don't pay and that we have to pay with local taxes and the movie were crap)... So i won't ever subscribe, but i understand Loobyluggs at 100%

9. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Oh you poor thing.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    It's basically fishing, the first episode is the bait.

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Oh, don't even get me started on the free trial dude. Not in the mood for all these freeloaders clogging up the internet.

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Generally I agree with you but... here they just upped the subscription fee again, and cut on free content. How could they explain this besides greed and milking customers because they already know subbers are the idiots here. And they already smell dropping customer numbers, I believe.

In reality, they stopped offering free months because other services don't do it either and still got sub growth. What netflix doesn't realise is, they have other IPs and stuff to view that netflix (argueably) doesn't have to pull people into a "blind" subscription.

13. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    yaaaarrrrrrrrrr

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Its not free! Its a pure money making tactic. And very smart. They want to hook you into the series. By watching 1st episode and if you like it, chances are high you want to see what happens next. Therefore you subscribe.

Fediuld and WalterDasTrevas like this.
  15. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    Your money is not paying for free content, because the money is no longer yours when it turns into business profit.
    And NETFLIX is right, it is a way to present quality content to users who have not yet felt the need to hire the service.

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    You could be subscribed for a lifetime and you still wouldn't have pitched in enough money to film just 1 episode of your favorite show, so what exactly do you think your money is giving away for free? I suppose you don't like it when they hand out free samples of products at the mall, or get free beer when you do a tour of a brewery, or get fee swag at a convention? The whole idea is to get people to really pay attention to the product, so they might become paying customers.

You have to spend money to make money. This is critical for Netflix right now, particularly due to Disney+.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  17. Sorry guys but I read this and cracked up; I mean... *shrugs* it is... a way to attract more subscribers I would imagine in the end no?
    I don't understand the concept of what you are not saying lol...

emperorsfist and Ricepudding like this.
  18. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Light
    I wanna say troll? But I think they are being serious... They not realise places like netflix have massive server buildings to handle all sorts of load, and a few trail or test customers won't affect them..

Then again maybe I am reading too much into this and should just ignore the person trolling :D

19. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Light
    I don't think netflix is that worried about Disney. I mean disney aren't even playing the game seriously enough, they own Fox and have yet to put really any of those films on there :/

It is just a new method to get people to join, having only first episodes means you can't do what people did with free trials and make new accounts to watch full seasons. It will basically stop them, it's quite smart but might ignore the people trying to get off the free stuff

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  20. Aren't Netflix and Disney business partners and yes I agree with you about Netflix's costs (apparently they took out massive loans in the last 2/3 years, have to pay off) - is business model used in many places the free to use / pay hybrid (MMORPGs?)....

Avast yeee scalywag!