Need your opinion.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by zee3b, Nov 15, 2010.

1. zee3b

zee3b Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 260
    I've always resort to guru3d whenever building my rigs in the past, or choosing what gfx to buy or what not.

I made a mistake of buying a motherboard from EVGA two years ago or so, the first one stopped working after a month or two, the second one has started to give me problems, like my keyboard would stop responding and stuff, called EVGA up and the tech guys weren't really that helpful.
    I've decided

either

to give up on the motherboard and buy a new one because i've HAD ENOUGH!

So I came across this mobo(MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard) on newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130275 and I remembered reading somewhere that am3 mobos are compatible with am2 processors? I have a AMD 6000 athlon x2 3.0. Will it support my processor? (do you guys have any better recommendations?)

or

Buy a new motherboard along with a new processor and a nice case - antec 902? maybe.

Once again the same motherboard, or if you guys suggest any other. And I was thinking of buying the AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition Callisto 3.3GHz and unlock it for 4 cores, have never done it, but i'm pretty sure it won't be that hard. If I go with this option, I'll more then likely sell my 2gig of ddr2 corsair ram and buy 4 gigs of ddr3. Any other suggestions as for the processor or mobo?
    Also if I unlock the cores will it be the same thing as a quad core?

My psu is OCZ stealth extreme 600 W. I'm trying not to spend too much here, so if I go with the second option will I need a new psu? amd 6000 (current) is 125 watts. Amd phenom 2 is lower I believe(80watts) if I unlock the cores I guess it'll be a little higher.

I used to game a lot until I injured my wrist, now I hardly ever game, but even with my current rig I've always had really high fps on cod4(online) and other games with no lag at all. So I'm not really looking into spending a lot of money.

Current Specs.
    EVGA 122-M2-NF59-TR AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor ADX6000CZBOX

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ATX12V

EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

NZXT case.

THANKS for taking your time to read this essay. <3

p.s AMD only guys.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    No, AM2 processors will not work with AM3 boards. Only AM3 processors will work on AM3 boards. However, you can pop in an AM3 processor in an AM2 or AM2+ board.

Core unlocking is NEVER guaranteed. If you want a guaranteed quad core, go buy a quad core.

Your 600W PSU should hold fine.

deltatux