Need Your Help! FPS Drops & Stuttering on High-End PC

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Worther, Apr 26, 2018.

?

What, in your opinion, is really the culprit?

1. Hardware (write in the comments below)

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Software (write in the comments below)

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Games themselves

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  4. NVIDIA Driver

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Windows OS

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  1. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 ti @ 2100 mhz
    I'm having issues with high DPC on the latest windows version aswell, regardless of what nvidia driver i use. Obviously each driver has been DDU'ed first, and im using max power on gpu's and cpu.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    MSI mode can only improve ISR stage of interrupt handling. DPC stage can be f*cked up by badly coded drivers. I know only one tool capable to show DPC times in clean way - LatencyMon. LatencyMon can copy text report to clipboard, so you can test game and paste report here.

As alternative you can use performance counters (launch perfmon). These counters monitoring can be saved to a file and viewed later by special app. A time related charts can give means to make a conclusion about correlation of DPC stats with stuttering.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  3. Worther

Worther Member

GPU:
    some
    Can agree about LatencyMon software but only for mesure latency while idle. Because there're many interruptions while load, e.g. LatencyMon will show high latency while gaming. This monitoring app adds a little additional load and grabs some HW resources when game is running. I can't be pretty sure about precise measurement while gaming.

It's like using another monitoring apps, e.g. MSI AB + RTSS themselves grab some resources (marginally but grab) and slightly add some amount of job for the PC to operate.
    Hence, I assume that there're no monitoring software which can get 100% accurate result while the PC working on the hard task (games, rendering, etc.).

If I'm not fully right about this theme, please correct me.

Thanks.

4. Worther

Worther Member

GPU:
    some
    I have my SSD installed in bottom PCIE M.2 slot.
    Should I also disable SpeedShift with SpeedStep together?

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    We are interested not in latencies shown on the main page. We are interested in hunting down drivers with big DPC times.

PS Those latencies are only interesting for professional audio users.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  6. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Yes you got that right my friend. What drivers for what devices ?

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    It is not my rig we are talking about here. Worther should research DPC times on his rig.
    Any device drivers could introduce big DPC times.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  8. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Yes, that is why I asked what drivers and devices you using. :)

9. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    I never had DPC issues even with my P2B or Core 2 Quad ... lol

10. Ancymon

Ancymon Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Ok, after some more investigation... Frametime spikes / freezes / fps drops r related to Shader Cache option.

Compiling shaders at real time cause it. Shader Cache set to "on" eliminate / reduce it [of course, to be clear for... less experienced users ; ) it works only "after", its just a type of some "workaround"]. Now u can ask NV about better optimization when shaders need to be compiled at real time.

Conclusion nr 1: looks like everything "works as intended".

Conclusion nr 2: what more experienced users think about it?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018

11. Ancymon

Ancymon Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
  12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    This option is not workaround. Shader cache works as every cache does: when game asks to compile shader (in real time) drivers look in file cache and if compiled shader is already there no compilation is needed. But obviously when game utilizes a shader for the first time ever, shader should be compiled, and after that drivers save it to file cache. NV can`t optimize this process better. Games can use shaders in a number of ways, like compiling all shaders needed for current level while level is loaded, or compiling shaders one by one only when they are needed in game. But NV can`t do anything about that.

13. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Man Worther you really went out of your way with your post. I feel bad for you my friend. You have a sick CPU a sick Video card and this happens to you.. Sucks, your in a hole right now but there is a way out. I think the video card might need a RMA. I don't believe it is the OS now because youve tried Winblows 7 and Winblows 10 same thing. I doubt its the driver. The AMD card worked fine is because once again I think it's your video card. Only way as Guru's suggested is to try the video card on another computer and see what happens. good luck

14. Worther

Worther Member

GPU:
    some
    Hi community,

How are you there with your rig? Any issues in games (frame time spikes, FPS drops, stuttering)? Any improvements in PUBG performance?

Well, I want to ask you something about 'msconfig' OS Settings:
    1. Should I set maximum amount of CPUs (physical & logical)? AFAIK with default settings (unchecked "Number of processors:" field) Windows try to use maximum possible amount of processors, but will I improve performance (at least barely) with manual "12 CPUs" setting?
    2. Especially, should I enable PCI Lock (disabled by default) in BOOT Advanced Options? I found some unconfirmed info on the Internet that somebody had CPU frequency misalignment (e.g. 2.28 GHz instead of default basic 2.3 GHz). Any helpful advices here?

Screenshot: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fR1LXzbG1CvcR8iHcyPBlRiUPbIrMFmh

Thank you for attention!

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070

16. Worther

Worther Member

GPU:
    some
    1. Have already saw this. But why is this disabled by default when it should help with preserving BIOS settings? Should I enable it?
    2. This's pretty clear that I can decrease the number of CPUs. But should I check it to "Use 12 processors"? Or default Unchecked setting is equal to modified "12 processors" setting?

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    All these settings are for debug and/or troubleshooting only.
    Of course default Unchecked setting is equal to modified "12 processors" setting.
    And you don`t need to preserve BIOS settings because modern Windows is good at managing resources (IRQs, memory ranges, input-output ports and all).

18. Scorpio_ASC

Scorpio_ASC New Member

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 ,1080ti
    I see you got a G-sync monitor, try a windows version before 1703 (I think), I just installed the LTSB Version from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-10-enterprise.
    You can also try setting the refreshrate to 120, then limit the fps with rivatuner to 117.
    Just thinking that could be the culprit since it worked with an AMD card thus g-sync wasnt active.

19. Sabbath

Sabbath Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    Turn off XMP, & re-boot.

20. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    He already did that.