1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need to get smooth 60 fps on my 120 hz monitor in fifa 18

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by alexander1986, Apr 18, 2018.

1. alexander1986

alexander1986 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    Hello, im trying to get 60 fps to look smooth and feel good on my 120 hz monitor (144 hz 1ms asus but running it at 120 hz lightboost) in Fifa 18, I can get 120 hz and 144 hz to look and feel good offline but online it seems the game is poorly optimized for different framerates other than 60, kind of hard to explain but its a shitty port from xbox1 more or less,

Feels like ive tried everything in inspector and monitor settings, 60 hz 60 fps, 120 hz 60 fps, vsync off on with framelimiter, smooth AFR in inspector, etcetera, but the picture always stutters even if I can get inputlag to be pretty low and good,

any tips or tricks ?

have a gtx 1060 6gb running the monitor, previous fifas , 16 17 etc was no problem playing in 60 fps within the game launcher settings and 120 hz on monitor for example, but now cant get it smooth! would like to keep lightboost enabled also since it eliminates all ghosting and artifacts, thanks for any and all help! cheers

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Disable vsync and FPS limiter and use RTSS to limit FPS?

60fps on 120hz lightboost won't look good due to image doubling.

alexander1986 likes this.
  3. alexander1986

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    will try that, but I can guarantee you in the previous fifa less than a year ago I was running 60 fps @ 120 hz very smooth and stutterfree :D the same settings I used then dont produce same results at all in this fifa though, but will try this tip and keep looking!

4. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    fifaconfig: select High + MSAAoptions Off + No limit on fps + DirextX 11.0 (If you able to achieve more than 120 FPS, then choose Ultra + 4x)

NvCpl: V-Sync On + MFAA On

P.S. Use RTSS frame rate cap below your monitor refresh rate.

Read

5. alexander1986

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb

thanks for tip, in my case with 120 hz monitor running lightboost, what frame rate cap would you recommend? i'll try both RTSS and nvinspector I guess, but 118 fps? :p 58 ? thing is im trying to get 60 fps smooth at 120 hz :/

6. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Run & subtracts below your refresh rate anything between 0.006~0.012 (very subjective)

FYI, FIFA 18 supported above 120+ FPS & there's no reason to lock @ 60 FPS.

P.S. Read the article carefully.

LightBoost

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  7. alexander1986

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    according to guide you linked my hz is 120.004 and I should subtract 0.01 from this so 120.003, but having some issues enabling decimal framerate limit in RTSS, i can set 120 but not 120.003 etc :S

also yeah, in theory there is no reason to lock it at 60, but I play fifa 18 at a pretty high level and competitive with literally 1000s of hours in the past few fifas, the game behaves perfectly offline vs cpu with whatever FPS you want, but online, the game behaves pretty weird if players are running different fps settings, dx versions and stuff for a bad xbox 1-to-pc port that was designed to run at 60 fps at all times :p with 60 fps you will be "synchronized" for a lack of better explanation :D

for example in fifa 17 you could get disconnected at any point of online matches for "being out of sync" error, it literally said so the errormessage, *unless* you locked to 60 fps, anyway I will check some more, I got it feeling pretty good in most modes now except pro clubs (the 11vs11 mode), tweaking continues...

8. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    I didn't play online so I'm not sure, but that's the downside which I personally don't like to play online. (FYI, I bought FIFA 17 & 18)

1) Run Notepad as administrator

2) Open C:\Program File (x86)\RivaTuner Statistics Server\Profiles\Global.txt (Choose All Files) *If not available, grab it from ProfileTemplates folder.

3) Add those lines; E.g. 119.996 FPS cap:

[Framerate]
    Limit=119996
    LimitDenominator=1000

9. Passus

Passus Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    This is weird I have a 144hz screen, Fifa runs at 72fps in menus and 144fps in game with vsync enabled.

In nvidia control panel create a profile for fifa 18 and set max pre rendered frames to 1 this will make it feel a lot less like moving a tank online

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    If you want a 60FPS limit on 120Hz, the best solution is to use 1/2 vsync and an RTSS frame cap of 0.01FPS below half your refresh rate. I used to do this a LOT in the past (prior to getting a gsync monitor) for 60FPS-limited games or games that are just broken if you unlock their FPS higher than 60-ish.

(Btw, I assume you're not using a g-sync monitor.)

Note that you should probably disable lightboost. 60FPS on 120Hz strobing doesn't look good. It results in a double-image effect. But if you don't mind that, then it's fine. It's just that this makes blur reduction not actually reduce blur very much, because the double-image effect looks like a combination of blur and frame-"hiccuping." But it's up to you.

Anyway, using 120Hz with 1/2 vsync is recommended because it allows you to get low input lag after you use the "low latency vsync trick" described here:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/the-truth-about-pre-rendering-0.365860/page-12#post-5380262

You need to slightly adapt the method though since you're using 1/2 vsync: Instead of capping 0.01FPS below refresh, cap to 0.01FPS below HALF refresh. For example, if the refresh rate testing sites tell you your monitor is running at 119.982Hz, then you need to cap to 59.981FPS (119.982 / 2 - 0.01).

Now go to profile inspector and select "1/2" in the vsync setting. Due to a driver bug, you will probably have to reboot for this setting to actually be used. To test whether it works or not, run the game WITHOUT FRAME CAPPING IT, and if it runs at 60FPS, then the setting works. If it runs at 120FPS, then that means the setting doesn't work for some reason.

Once you've verified "1/2 vsync" works, you can then cap your FPS with RTSS to 0.01FPS lower than half your real refresh rate, as described above.

This will give you lower input lag compared to switching your monitor to 60Hz, because 120Hz has a faster scanout speed (double as fast as 60Hz) which lowers input lag even when playing at 60FPS. Keep in mind that without capping your frame rate to 0.01 below half refresh, input lag is going to be way worse with 120Hz 1/2 vsync compared to 60Hz normal vsync! So make sure you cap your FPS correctly.

Finally, keep in mind that you can do the same for 144Hz mode, in which case your target FPS will be 72 instead of 60. This is what I used for Bethesda RPGs (Skyrim, etc) because their physics and timers were flipping out in some cases if you went past 75FPS or so.

11. alexander1986

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb

ah, nice! thanks for taking the time and i'll try to test this tomorrow and report how it went :p thanks again !