Need suggestions for a $1100 build

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Lostfaith, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Lostfaith

Lostfaith Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTS 320MB SC // X1250
    Hello, I need some links and advice on a build I'm putting together for a very good friend.

Purpose: Mainly Gaming, also some Rendering etc.

Basically the budget will be to $1100-$1200.

cpu:
    A64 Venice
    (probably a 3000+)
    $146

Mobo's Chipset:
    Nforce4 Ultra
    (DFI lanparty NF4 Ultra-d?)
    $130

Ram:
    PC3200 or mild overclockers Ram (geil GLX?)

Vidcard:
    6800GT/X800XL ?

Storage:
    a Sata2 disk ~80GB, but the guy has several in his older P4EE on P4P800s setup of which a few will probably be moved to this one.

Optical media:
    16x DVDR/RW (NEC, Liteon or other?)

PSU:
    (very important, good quality, prolly something like OCZ powerstream, Anted, Enermax, or other quality suggestions welcome!!)
    OCZ powerstream 520Watt
    (http://www.3dvelocity.com/reviews/powerstream520/ps520.htm)

Case:
    (Durable, very good airflow as we live in the tropics with constant 30+ temps! and love going to lanparties, so portability is a plus)
    http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=2464
    (is mATX, so are there good nforce4 ultra matx mobos?)

Cpucooling:
    (as this guy is probably gonna overclock to some extend!)
    maybe this:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/gigabyte-3dgalaxy.html
    supposedly $115.

no monitor/mouse/keyboard/speakers or other accessoires needed. only the main components within the Case and Case itself.

Plz no flaming about AMD vs Intel/Ati vs Nvidia, this is mainly budget, but heavy focus on smooth gaming.

any suggestions are welcome and links (reviews/benches/online prices)are very much appreciated!!!

thinking of shopping at www.newegg.com for the stuff, any other/better sites also welcome!!!

2. Lostfaith

Lostfaith Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTS 320MB SC // X1250
    *Bump no one with any tips on good current components?

anything is welcome dudes

3. reflex

reflex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 725/1800/2000
    hey, see the computer on my right here? the whole thing cost me 1270$ (minus the vid card)
    I bet if you get a 3500+ Venice, then you could build my computer easily. Unless you want to go PCI-E which i suggest a DFI NF4 board which should be a little more. Also i would take the x800xl over the 6800gt anyday, im scoring 5368 on 3dmark05 with no CPU overclock and barely a vid card overclock, awesome.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

PS. A 3800+ San Diego would also be good for around... 350$?

4. reflex

reflex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 725/1800/2000
    oh and also if you got the money get a regular sata150 (sata2 isnt any faster) from seagate, they're the best sata drives currently, but of course 2 wd raptors in raid0 would own them ;)

Also buying a mATX case is a waste, just get a regular one and you would have no need to worry about componets fitting in, and its really hard to find a mATX mobo thats good, so...

A NEC DVD Drive would be better IMO

And i would go with the geil PC4400 (DDR550) which is 167$ on newegg

ANNNDDD... I would get a 600w OCZ PowerStream, with that thing you wouldnt have to get a new one for atleast 2 years.

Also a ZALMAN Heatsink/fan would be better than that cpu cooling your looking at now. Unless you plan to do alot of overclocking

PS: Anyone know why letters are getting replaced by *'s?