Need some opinions on Gigabyte boards

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by partyface86, May 16, 2014.

1. partyface86

partyface86 Active Member

GPU:
    AMD 7870 @ 1200/1500
    Hey everyone

I need some opinions on Gigabyte motherboards, more or less about their quality.

In the past I had very unpleasant experience with Gigabyte, both graphics cards and motherboards, especially motherboards. At that time I was working at a PC service of an IT store and we also tested returned parts which were under warranty.

We sold a lot of Gigabyte motherboards and the failure rate on them were much higher than any other branded boards like Asus, Asrock, MSI, even ECS. Most of them had BSOD or even VRM failure with no visible damage like blown mosfets.

The reason why I need opinions is because I recently switched my old Athlon x4 640 to a Phenom X6 1055t. At the moment is installed in a Asus M4A88T-M/USB3 motherboard.

I like this board very much and has massive OC potential (I pushed my Athlon 640 to 4.0ghz with no problems), I don`t like the fact that the 4+1 phase VRMs lack any cooling. With the Phenom X6 pushed to 4.0ghz with 1.52-1.53 core voltage uses a massive amount of power and the VRMs get scorching hot and I can`t say that is 100% stable. I know that this chip can do 4.0ghz even on lower voltage.

I have the opportunity to change this board with a Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H. I read a few reviews about it and they were all positive, has ample cooling for the VRMs and it has very good OC potential. My problem is that when i hear Gigabyte it still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Please tell me your experiences with Gigabyte

2. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    I cant speak for AMD boards of Gigabyte, but i've use gigabyte twice now for my intel processors. I never had any problems with thoes boards. Between my Q6600 intel and my 4770K i switched to Asus boards.. cause well.. people kept saying they where awesome.. and for all my knowledge it just my luck (Not saying asus boards are bad).. but i did not have a single one that i that i didn't have to return to get replaced (This was the TUF series)

My current board is low/mid-en, but have alot of configration in the bios and is very stable... haven't had a single problem and my room-mate have a 990FX gigabyte board.. don't recall the exact model, but been running smooth for 2-3 years.

I would not hesitate on a gigabyte board, but thats my opinion.

3. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Where about in the world do you live? I'm very fond of Gigabyte motherboards, I've had nothing but great experiences with them in multiple (10 +) builds over the past year and a half or so. There's also the added benefit of my being in the UK, Gigabyte actually have a base of operations here so RMA turn over is incredibly fast. From people I've talked too that have had to deal with it, it's very pain free.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  4. partyface86

GPU:
    AMD 7870 @ 1200/1500
    That is good to hear... I mean read. Maybe the older boards were bad quality. I had the pleasure of dealing with a lot of bad s478, lga775, s939 boards back then.

I live in Romania. But is i wrote before, this was back when s775, s939 were on the market.

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Ive had good experiences with Gigabyte boards and they have a good RMA service. I do prefer the Bios on the Asus boards though, just used to the layout.

6. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I've built a bunch of rigs for other people with Gigabyte no failures.Personally I had one bad experience with the P35 board when it first came out I ended up returning 3 of them but after that it is still running the wife's computer after 4 years I think it's been.

7. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I had my Z77X D3H fail on me a few weeks ago. Still don't know whhat really the problem was, but after a million hours os troubleshooting I tried the mobo and that was it. On an Asrock Extreme 4 now, no problems.

8. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    best mobo i have ever had and still using it 5 years later, my trusty old Gigavyte x58 UD5, overclock like a mofo and if i mess up it resets and is nice and stable, blew 2 Asus mobos messing with OC'ing so yep, gets my thumbs up.

9. partyface86

GPU:
    AMD 7870 @ 1200/1500
    I am glad to learn that most of you have no problems with Gigabyte cuz I really like that 890gpa-ud3h

10. Damage_Plan

Damage_Plan Master Guru

GPU:
    Glalaxy GTX660 Ti GC 3GB
    I love my Gigabyte Motherboard. its really well made and suprised me out of the box... i bought and Ultra Durable F2A88X and has NOT given me any problems whatsoever... EDIT (bios issues) - but it was with beta bios so its not really a problem
    This is my motherboard and my whole setup in general... its a beaut!

[​IMG]

I happen to like MSI motherboards alot i havent had a problem with them at all... but i like the way Gigabyte make their motherboards... i am happy i went with Gigabyte (its also my first Gigabyte Part.)

Last edited: May 21, 2014

11. zimzoid

zimzoid Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Had a Gigabyte X79 UD7 board before the one i have now, had no problems with it and got a decent oc on the 3930k cpu i was using.

12. partyface86

GPU:
    AMD 7870 @ 1200/1500
    My real concern is for the long term. I will probably use this board for about 2 years and after I have the budget to make an upgrade it will go in my other rig. A lot of older Gigabyte boards failed after their 3 year warranty expired, at least from my experience.

13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I can't speak about the Gigabyte AMD boards but I am running an Intel LGA 775 board for 4 years now and it has been a solid board.

14. BlackMonk

BlackMonk New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 66701 Gb
    I am using A Gigagyte 78LMT-S2,in the On-board sound only one speaker sounds I would

like to migrate to 32 bits since Iam using 64 bits advice needed!

15. Polinator

Polinator Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M
    Well.. Gigabyte Motherboards is great~

16. Odellot

Odellot Master Guru

GPU:
    TUF RTX 3090 XG438Q
    I am using Gigabyte X79 UP4 together with 4820k with my other Rig..No problems asides from Bios issues with Beta Bioses. So far I have mild Overclocked my 4820k to 4.3, very satisfied..:)

17. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    I'm going to throw my volatile 2 cents in. I don't think any motherboard brands are really any worse than each other. Failure rates should be sub 1%. I think we have so many negative reviews/perception floating around is because of people unknowingly destroying boards with static discharge when they're being installed. They're definitely the most sensitive of computer components (excluding RAM, but heatspreaders do a good job of protecting them these days). I've always been the "why use an ESD strap because I never had issues" guy. But I think I've changed my stance after two very bizarre motherboard failures.

18. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Had nothing but issues with my X79S-UP5-WiFi. Mainly BIOS problems. Customer service are useless.

19. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    i had bitter sweet XP with them. years ago i bought only gigabyte mobo for AMD A64 platform, they were good to very good with excellent price.

The latest one, forgot the model for the Phenom II series was kinda meh, it had wierd PCI Express issues on me and my friend mobo, which were totally different. so i left with bitter sweet taste

However as of yesterday i ordered the last Z77 mobo available here which is GA-Z77X-UD4H after hesitating a lot, so far so good it seems to be very good motherboard, reviews praise it for it's oc abilities.

With Asus i had only awesome xp, never had an issue.

So have no fear, Gigabyte are good.