Need Some Help!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Stang289, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Stang289

Stang289 Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4890 Crossfire
    Im now running an intel core 2 duo E4300 setup(no overclocking atm)
    Gigabyte DS3 Motherboard
    BFG Geforce 8800gt
    BFG 650 Watt PSU
    2 Gigs of Supertalent DDR2

Now with the problem im running into, while using Nvidia's stability Test about a minute left in the test I get red checkerboard effect and then BSOD stating something with the video adapter then it reboots. So I give BFG a call today, they have me check my +12V reading on my power supply and its at 13.40, and I was told that was what was causing the problem, So I took it back and exchanged it out(Ive had that psu for like 8 months) I get home with the replacement put it in, and low and behold, now its 13.52! , Is the program im using(PC wizard 2008) reading this wrong?, the psu i have is one with dual 12v rails, is it not taking this into account? Is this really what is causing my BSOD, or is it a bad video card? The odds of a PSU that is 8 months old and one that is brand new having similar voltage seems kinda like a "it was built that way" thing.

So now im offically uncertain what to do, It also BSOD's while running EVE online as well stating the video adapter is at fault, But have been told by BFG that it was the power supply.

2. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    check the bios for the 12v reading.if you have or can get a multimeter thats the most reliable way to check your rails.
    i doubt very highly your psu is whats causing the issue with your gpu.i would run atitools artifact tester.what kind of temps are you getting underload with the gpu?i would suspect temps may be the problem tbh.