Need some help with a computer fellow guru's

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TheLom, Jul 17, 2007.

1. TheLom

TheLom Guest

GPU:
    1x eVGA 8800GTX @700 & 2200
    I'm building a computer for a friend he's got ~1300 to spend he wants to keep his old HD's and and Cd/dvd drives but needs everything else he wants it to be nvidia / intel based need some help thx in advance!!!

2. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    whats gonna be the primary use for the computer??
    gaming?
    just to surf the internet?
    and u have one heck of a computer
    what advice have u give to him?

3. TheLom

TheLom Guest

GPU:
    its mostly all around use computer with gaming involved so a 8800gts sounds like the card for him I was thinking eVGA 680i (NF68???) motherboard eVGA 8800gts intel e6600 c2d Antec case but not sure about the memory and the power supply btw he has his old sound card as well so thats not needed.

4. Terrorizor

Terrorizor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 SC

5. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Everything else on that list looks good except the GPU/CPU combo. He doesn't need an over-priced 8800GTX which is going to be superseded soon anyway. What he needs are the following:
    The reason why I recommend getting the Q6600 is because development is made quicker with GPUs than with CPUs, and hence, investing in a better CPU will be much more worthwhile in the long run than investing in a better GPU. The 8800GTS 320mb will surely suffice for a while to come yet, but the Q6600 will likely last for years if overclocked (and cooled) properly. It's quad-core, which is overkill by today's standards, and perhaps even tomorrow's, but once Alan Wake hits the shops in 2008, quad-core will be ideal. There is little doubt in my mind that the 8800GTS 320mb is the best value-for-money card currently available, hence why I recommend getting one of those. The Foxconn is also pre-overclocked, yet its price stays nicely under $300, making it a very worthy purchase. As for the rest, I think Terrorizer got it right. :)

6. TheLom

TheLom Guest

GPU:
    Sounds like a great build but the only thing i dont know about is the case i heard bad things about antec 900... anybody have experience with that case???