Need some help with a car

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Anubis, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Hey fellow gurus.
    I need a favor..

I'm looking for a full service/shop manual (a pdf, preferably for free) for a 1991 Dodge Spirit LE 3.0 V6

Well, actually it can be even a service manual for either of those, since it's the same car:
    Dodge Spirit
    Plymouth Acclaim
    Chrysler Saratoga

I know there are a lot of manuals out there for sale, but they're bloody expensive + I'm not sure if they contain what I'm looking for..
    I have a service manual for a 5gen Honda Civic, which contained 1500 pages, every damn bolt and wire is in it, and now I need the same for the mentioned car..

If someone can point me to what I mean, I'd be really grateful :)

2. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Master Guru

GPU:
    4GB EVGA GTX680 FTW 2xSLI
    do you need an actual manual? can't you download and print one of the net? Must be one online somewhere?

3. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    nah, just a pdf is more then enough..
    I searched and searched, and either I'm stupid, or there is none.. Can't find it at all.

4. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Are you talking about a Chilton's type service manual, or like one of the ones that the manufacturer actually produce?

A chilton's book will probably run around $100 but you should be able to find a second hand one for far less. A real manufacturer manual could be several hundred bucks.

Also, Chilton's does have an online DiY manual type thing with a recurring fee - there used to be some kind of trial (not sure if it was free or not) but that could be a good way to see if the online DiY type has what you need before you purchase or spend a lot of money.

5. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    I'd actually prefer a real manufaturers manual..
    There's alot more stuff in it, and 100% that what I'm looking for..

6. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    I haven't looked for one in over 10 years, but I kind of doubt you'd find it in electronic form that you could purchase or download. I'd guess your best bet would be to try and find a used one from someone who no longer needs it. Perhaps post a wanted add on a free service and see if anyone replies. Could try ebay too I guess. I'm sure you thought of that but it's the only thing I think would be successful - that and some luck.

There are several listing for dodge spirit but this is the only one that specifically lists 1991 that isn't the turbo model only:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-CHRYSL...odge|Model:Spirit&vxp=mtr&hash=item1e69de0d65

7. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Look on ebay, or try a AA/K car forum.

Ebay always has service manuals and they are cheap. $100 for 1 volume is a rip off.

I got my Ford manuals which is a 5 volume set for $35, the wiring diagram was about the same.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Check ebay....there's also a site called AllData that actually posts the information directly from the manufacturer service manuals.

http://www.alldata.com/

9. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
  10. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    I got the Haynes manual, yet it doesn't include the schematics I'm looking for.
    Will check out the other thou, thanks so far guys..

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    What schematics do you need and what exactly are you trying to dig out and replace?

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Knowing what you want to do would be a big help. Many things are pretty generic across most cars, like changing disk pads, rotors, CV shafts, CV boots, etc, with possibly only a small variation which you should be able to work out knowing the basics.

13. Cambria

Cambria Banned

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    Just pick up a Haynes manual for it. Should only be about $50 for a new one.

Your lucky you dont own a Mercedes, the manual for my car is $125~ new.

I dont think you can download manuals, at least Iv never seen a full PDF manual that you can just look at or download online. Unless you pay for it.

14. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    1. The speedometer isn't working. I've replaced the instrument panel and the sensor, but still nothing.. Although it sometimes does work for maybe a day, then stops again..
    So in the first place, wiring schematics for the speedometer.

2. The car just dies in the middle of the road.
    The "CHECK GAGES" light goes on, and it completely dies. Can't even turn the hazard signal on (all 4 turn lights). Need to pull the key, wait a few seconds, then turn back on.. Pretty annoying and dangerous..
    So, more or less the complete schematics of the electrical wiring.

I know "the basics" and some "advanced" stuff when it comes to fixing cars.
    Although, I've never worked with an US car, and automatic transmissions..

As said, I do have the Haynes manual, although I don't find the schematics I'm looking for in it..
    For my old 1992 Honda Civic (and most other Honda models too), I had the complete service / workshop manuals. For my civic alone, 1500 pages of every bolt and wire you want.. And I found them online for free.. Nothing for that Spirit thou..

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  15. Cambria

Cambria Banned

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    I dont know man. Usually a Haynes manual has everything you need to know.