Need some help trying to tweak my memory.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by patteSatan, Apr 8, 2019.

1. patteSatan

patteSatan Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 6700xt
    Hi, ever since I got my system completely stable with my non-QVL memorysticks, I have been wondering if I can tweak them a bit, and I have tried, but failed, several times.

I have the Ballistix Elite 3466, [​IMG]

And an ASUS Prime B350-PLUS motherboard, a Ryzen 1600x, and a Coolermaster Silent ProM 850 PSU, a Sapphire R9 390 Nitro+ Gfx card.

I have tried @1usmus DRAM Calculator several times, and my computer just locks up.....

Any help appreciated.
    /Regards
    Patrik

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  2. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
  3. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    To get the best chance at successfully tweaking the ram, download and install the 18.50.16.1 chipset driver and then update the bios to the newest that was released April 4th. The 0.0.7.2 Agesa based bios has worked wonders for memory. 1usmus' dram calculator was nearly spot on for me. That Techpowerup article is a good read with a lot of helpful information.

patteSatan likes this.
  4. patteSatan

patteSatan Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 6700xt
    I have the new bios, since even before it was released...and the new drivers also, but it doesent help.

5. patteSatan

patteSatan Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 6700xt
  6. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Maybe those particular sticks just are not all that tweakable. The first set of ram I had, even though they were Samsung-B die, were not clocking any faster then what they were rated at...3200 (GSKill F4-3200C14D-16GTZ). It does happen. I have not given up trying but even with the newest bios they are a solid 3200 kit. I can tighten the timing on them but anything above 3200 and it will not even post.

patteSatan likes this.
  7. patteSatan

patteSatan Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 6700xt
    thats about where I am now, after latest bios, they work as intended, 3466 and so on, and I see ppl that can tweak them right out of the box, to play like gskill flare x, I mean, 14,14,14

This sticks run at 16-18-18, at advertised speed, so np with that, but I want to try and tighten the settings, and no, I dont "need" it, I am just happy that the computer runs when I want to play, or anything :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  8. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    my 1600X can't even run my crappy C16 G.Skill Hynix memory at factory 3200 speeds. Though it's improved to a semi healthy 3066. Not even a new motherboard helped.

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Use higher voltage.

10. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    What type of Hynix memory do you have ?
    In my 1800X server rig I have some G-Skill memory with Hynix MFR chips and it needs 1.37v / 1.025 vsoc and VSOC LLC 3, to run 100 Stable - tested to 28000% with Ram test.

11. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I forget exactly what variant but I can’t get it stable at factory speeds at 1.4v and 1.15 SoC

12. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    More SOC voltage isn't always the right way to go.
    Use Thaiphoon Burner to find out what memory chips your ram have ( http://www.softnology.biz/ )
    The type of memory chips is very important if you are using Ryzen Dram Calculator.
    Since it will give you advice based on what type of memory you select.

patteSatan likes this.
  13. patteSatan

patteSatan Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 6700xt
    Before ASUS made the bios I have now, I had to manually set the clock and the timings (I mean, the 16/18/18), and at 3200, the computer didnt like it when I just used the settings offered in bios, the xmp profile at 3200 didnt work, but manually setting it to 3200 and those timings worked, so maybe try to set the ram manually, without fiddling about with other ram settings?
    I am happy that I finally got a bios that made the sticks work, but I had them work at 3200 by "pretending" to change values, from "auto" to the specific values.