Need some help buying a Smart TV for my mom.

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Smokey25, May 15, 2020.

1. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+
    This is for my mother. Im looking to buy her a Smart TV and the price can be up till 500 euros,it can be a bit above it. Im asking your help because I remember when I was buying a pc monitor for myself I ended up sending two monitors back because I wasn't satisfied and now i"m looking around for a Smart Tv but the choices boggle my mind and i dont want to end up buying the wrong one so im asking for your help on this one.

The Needs !
    - Smart Tv that works fast,no slow loading. She will be watching alot of Netflix and this needs to work flawlessly.
    - 60Hz minimum
    - We need to be able to hook up a Scart cable which is needed for a Humax box she will be using aswell.

When it comes to screen quality,it needs to be decent offcourse but about everything will be better than what she currently has. Pref size around 40 - 45 inch.

Thanks in advance !

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  2. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
  3. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+

Thanks lol i already had a feeling it would be near impossible on newer tv's but shes set on using that humax box. Ill check into getting a converter aswell then. But besides that, what tv would you recommend ? I still have no clue, there's just too much choice. And reading some bad reviews from people about certain Smart tv's like https://www.reddit.com/r/assholedesign/comments/gn3wbg/a_2000_85_inch_tv_with_ads_on_the_smart_menu/

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  4. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Yeah i read about that in Amazon reviews as well. I think since it's a new issue with the most modern tvs i'd go for a Samsung LED from 2017 or so. If you are lucky some 3rd party dealer on Amazon still has 1.

The last TV i bought was a new OLED from LG, but that was over 2000,-. Looks awesome.

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I would say that if you want good performance get something with WebOS and a Magic Remote. I would not recommend OLED for normal TV viewing, but LG has Nanocell models that might do the trick just fine, without being OLED.

6. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+
    Thanks for the replies ! I went ahead and bought the Samsung QE43Q60R. Screen looks really good imo,smart tv reacts instant,internet and all the apps work as expected aswell. Its a night and day difference form her older tv and she couldnt be more happy.

7. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Can't really go wrong with the Q60R I guess. It's an older model but for the money, it's probably close to best you can get. As long as you enjoy it, we're happy.