Need some advice

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by garylouden, Jul 2, 2008.

1. garylouden

garylouden Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG OC GTX280
    Well i used to do F@H ages ago but it got to the point where it just slowed my pc down.

Now that the GPU is out i use that with my 8800GTS and wow is it fast, not as fast as some of you but i get ~2400ppd.

So i leave my computer on now to run that and it works great but i was thinking if my pc is on i might as well use the CPU client aswell. So i downloaded the CMD line client as i heard it was better and went to bed. Got up and i had done 3 WU's from my GPU and not even 1 on the CPU.

any idea why?

also i want to use F@H on my laptop that on all day, it has a 2ghz core2duo in it but by the time it completes a WU it misses its time window, normaly take 3-4days as i have to turn it off somtimes. is there any way to get smaller projects for it or somthing?

2. jimbobjames

jimbobjames Active Member

GPU:
    2 x 8800GTS 640Mb
    The GPU client needs one processor to "feed" it data otherwise it will run really slow.

I had a CPU and GPU client but figured why bother when the GPU churns numbers like it does.

p.s you should go get the 177.41 drivers - I went from 2500 to nearly 4000 ppd compared with the 177.26. If your running the 174.45 they recommend then it will likely be even worse.

3. garylouden

garylouden Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG OC GTX280
    I will update tonight when i get back from work, hope i get a nice boost.

Any idea about my laptop? i just need the jobs to be smaller in size.

4. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Indeed, get the 177.41's with the modded INF.

Also you may aswell use the CPU to fold as well, especially with the SMP client if your pc will manage it.

5. Julepalme

Julepalme Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 OC'ed
    There is a catch to the whole cpu usage..

If your running windows xp.. you'll likely see that the GPU Client takes up 1 entire core for itself just to keep it fed.. a flaw in the xp driver / gpu2 client relations i assume..

Since under windows vista everyone reports near negligble cpu usage for the gpu client.. i myself utilizes both cores while churning out 5600-5800PPD on my 9800GTX.. while the cpu client doesn't bother.. it gets about 5% less power on 1 of the 2 cores.. and you can hardly notice a dive in PPD

My advice.. if your using XP then switch to non-smp client.. and set the CPU Affinty of the gpu to 1 core.. and the cpu client to t he other.. or just quit the cpu folding entirely :p

And yes.. upgrading driver etc. might help a bit aswell

6. garylouden

garylouden Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG OC GTX280
    maybe im being stupid but i just cant find the SMP client on F@H page....its there for linux and such but not windows :S

i will update drivers when i get in and im running vista 64bit and yes my cpu usage is like 1-2% when running gPU client.

7. aircool

GPU:
    Its under windows high performance clients, like the GPU2 is too.

8. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670 1GB
    I would run the SMP Client along with the GPU2 Client.

I'm not sure, but I think you have to setup affinities and machine IDs.

Also, the CPU Client takes alot longer to complete a WU, but they're worth alot more points than the GPU WUs which go by fast.

I.E: SMP WU standard is 1760 points-per-WU, GPU WU are 98 points-per-WU.

9. aircool

GPU:
    GPU2 WU's are now hitting 479 points now ;)

You dont need to setup affinities unless your running dual smp clients, but machine ID's have to be setup too - GPU2 Client should take #1-2 and the SMP should be set to do 4-5.

10. garylouden

garylouden Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG OC GTX280
    i tried the smp client + GPU but the gpu would drop to 100-200 because my cpu would be 100% maxed :(

11. aircool

GPU:
    Are you on xp? Because it wont kill the GPU2 client's performance in vista when running SMP too (you dont even have to make any adjust either).

Assuming your talking to performance.

And waht are you measuring?

12. arcon

arcon Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 465 & 8800 GT
    Where canI find the ppws?

13. aircool

GPU: