Need SERIOUS help regarding HDD usage and load in games.

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Smough, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    I can't use any of my HDD's to play any game, any game you could consider "big" in any way, will lag and stutter no matter what on any HDD I have, old or new, doesn't matter. The HDD will go to a 100% usage most of the game on any game or with 100% usage spikes, even just by moving the camera a bit. HITMAN is giving me insane issues, the HDD will keep a 100% load even after the loading screen has ended and will keep loading honestly I don't know frack*** what. Not only HITMAN, that's just an example, it's any game that has somewhat big levels, Rise Of The Tomb Raider, Fallout 4, even the ancient Skyrim...

I have 2 SSD's on my system and as expected, they are not affected by this at all. But I should not rely only on my SSD's to play games, some are really big and a good HDD comes in handy, always. And I ony expect longer load times, not I/O lag, because that's my problem, I don't know what to do and it's really frustrating for me.

I have a an i7 4770, a GTX 1060, 8GB of RAM, 2xSSD and 2xHDD, all games that have somewhat an open world lag on the HDD, without a fail, all of the time. Tried a new HDD, same problem. Old HDD, same problem. What is going on?

Is it a driver? If so, which drivers? What can I do? This is driving me crazy, I have tried disabling Windows services, checking for HDD firmware update, etc... It just can't be that any newer game that is somehwat big lags on my HDD. I mean, a console does it with a 5400 rpm HDD. Please, anyone, help me! :,(

By the way, all synthetic HDD benchmarks give good results, while gaming is where they completely lose it.

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Your hardware specs are?

3. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    EVGA 600 watt PSU
    Mobo: MSI h81M-E33
    Core i7 4770
    GTX 1060
    8GB RAM DDR3 1600 Mhz Dual Channel
    128 GB Micron SSD
    128 GB SanDisk SSD
    500 GB Seagate Barracuda HDD 7.2k rpm
    1TB GB Toshiba HDD 7.2k rpm

Windows 10 1803 version

Some screenshots on the issue:

https://imgur.com/bBwBuMG

https://imgur.com/Nv3ehqX

https://imgur.com/Coa8Tfq

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Looks like the infamous W10 bug, having the HDD always at 100%.

5. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    How can you solve that? Also it's strange that only happens at games.

6. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    I just realized that the HDD's are giving way lower scores than they should. I just updated all system drivers, so no idea what is causing this. SSD scores are a bit higher than the average of the models I have. So basically, I have super fast SSD and snail speed HDD.

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
  8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Try disabling sysmain service.

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Try to search for OEM tools for specified HDDs to see the health reports.

Try to install 64bit Intel RST(e) AHCI/RAID Drivers v13.1.0.1058 WHQ from here https://www.win-raid.com/t2f23-Intel-RST-RSTe-Drivers-latest-v-WHQL-v-WHQL.html

Try to install Intel MEI drivers from support page of the motherboard https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H81M-E33#down-driver&Win10 64

Upgrade Windows to the latest version.

Update:
    Forgot to ask: in what mode works SATA controller - in AHCI or IDE (legacy)?

Caesar likes this.
  10. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    ACHCI, I installed the newest drivers with Snappy Driver Installer, they are Intel(R) C220 Series. It's either those or the generic one from Microsoft. Honestly, no idea which ones are more adequate for my system. As for the mobo drivers in the page, I reinstalled all of them to be sure everything is ok.

Health reports for both HDD are fine, apparently. So I track this down to a software issue, faulty driver, firmware or some random Windows service or program causing this. I guess it doesn't affect my SSD's because their speed makes irrelevant any overload on the I/O, but the HDD's suffer greatly from this problem I am having.

I will try those drivers you linked me to see if there's any change, I can install them at all on this mobo. Thanks.

11. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Did all of that, nothing works. Besides, all of my O.S related stuff it's on an SSD, so it's kind of pointless for me to do that. I literally have a case of a slave HDD doing nothing more than just reading a game or doing simple stuff and going nuts over that. Well, the case of 2 HDD, since both have the same problem. Only games with very low disk load don't have this problem. Ironically, MGS V runs well, despite being open world. HITMAN, Tomb Raider and some others are a disaster.

12. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    I have it disabled always.
    Ok, I need your help. Sorry if I may seem like a total noob on this, but how do I install that driver package without a .exe to add it to my drivers list?

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    May be that's the problem?

Unzip archive file to some dedicated new folder. Run Device Manager. Locate the node for SATA controller. Right click on it to invoke context menu and select "Update driver". In pop-up window with two choices click on "Browse my computer for driver software" and select folder with extracted archive.

14. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Hmmm. It doesn't install, says Windows has a better version of that file and tells me to check Windows Update or the website. These are my SATA drivers: https://imgur.com/a/Bn3Mw0b

No idea why HDD gets overloaded with those drivers. To be honest, it's the same with the MS Standard driver for SATA.

CrystalDisk of the HDD: https://imgur.com/a/xvMQ7a9

EDIT: Nvm, I just installed them. Had to switch to the generic Microsoft driver, then install the ones you gave me. Now I will see how they perform. Gonna try Rise Of The Tomb Raider on the HDD. Wish me luck, yikes.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  15. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Wow. Great news! This driver seems to be very good. Tomb Raider is actually super smooth now, 60 fps all of the time, disk usage didn't got past 13% and very quick spikes of 97%, but less than a second, zero stutter on this game at all. Only a very small hitch on new area load, but that game does that even on SSD, so it's to be expected. And it's no related to disk usage since the CPU gets loaded when you switch areas, disk usage was extremely low and that game is I/O heavy, sort to speak, since even on SSD you will see some high usage spikes. The only thing it was long load times, but once everything got set, it was playable.

Now I am reinstalling HITMAN and I will report back. Hopefully it will work and if it doesn't, i'll blame the game. Lol.

Caesar likes this.

16. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Could be, but isn't SysMain only for the main O.S operations? It would not affect a secondary HDD or would it?

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    By default it monitors all disk operations to optimize in future (1) by background pre-loading, and (2) by real-time pre-loading data according to patterns for given app.

PS https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/a-bit-detailed-info-about-superfetch-in-windows.419263/

PPS And there was registry setting to switch Superfetch to "Off", to "Only boost the boot", "Boost both boot and apps".

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    386SX likes this.
  18. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    I guess it's the fault of some games on the insane disk usage, I tried some drivers on the site you linked and the behavior of my disk is the same, SSD's are not affected really. All HDD benchmarks and health are green, some games use the disk a bit, others in a moderate manner and others saturate the I/O, such as Hitman. Rise Of The Tomb Raider got a huge benefit tho, so it's strange. Gonna try Dark Souls 3 next and the new DmC and will report back. I think I have to reinstall Windows to solve this problem entirely. My issue lies in some messed up software configuration looks like.

If you could and if you have the time, try the Hitman free episodes on Steam and try the Paris level on a mechanical HDD, then use HWMonitor sensors to have the disk usage on the MSI Afterburner OSD. See if after the load screen it stays at a 100% for more than a minute. If you have the time, of course.

I ended up with Intel RST(e) drivers v13.2.8.1002 WHQL dated 07/09/2015 since the author of all of those posts mentions it's the best driver for Intel 7, 8 and 9 Series chipset. I did notice a slightly faster boot with these from the SSD. The HDD's remain "sick" at some games, but I see a bit of an improvement.

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I remained loyal to my HDDs as long as I could, but after prices for SSDs fell to the same level as was my fastest HDD, I turned a traitor. So now I don`t have HDDs in home rig.

20. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Well, that's the best way to attack any HDD problem anyway lol. I am about to drop all of this and buy a new SSD, then slowly get rid of all HDD's.