Need Reply ASAP

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Neo Cyrus, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    With the temporary 8500GT I was using I overclocked it and after it crashed from raising the memory too much and I restarted I could NOT overclock at all unless I linked the clocks. Rivatuner would simply not overclock, the overclock I set would be ignored unless the clocks were linked. I reinstalled the program last time and the result was the same.

Now it's a serious issue because the same thing happened with my GTX280. The system crashed from raising the RAM frequency too much just like I did with the 8500GT. Now it ignores any overclock I set unless the clocks are linked which is terrible! I had it stable at 760MHz and was going to try higher but with the clocks linked I won't be able to even set it to 700MHz.

The last time I tried reinstalling Rivatuner but that did nothing. Anyone have any ideas what's wrong?

2. astrallite

astrallite Active Member

GPU:
    S3 Savage 2MB
    You can try to evga precision tool and see if it works.

3. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    I honestly dont think you will see much of a FPS gain between 700 and 760. I see no gains when I OC my 260's from 655 to 700.

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    The reason I asked for a reply ASAP is because this is driving me nuts. I just received my GTX280 in the mail today. It was fine at 760, it could have possibly gone to even 800MHz, getting limited at around 680MHz because of a glitch makes me go crazy.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll EVGA's tool assuming ATI Tool doesn't work and assuming I can't fix this issue. I just reinstalled everything so I hope it works.

Edit: Nope, it still won't let me OC unless the clocks are linked.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    EVGA's precision tool does the same thing! What the hell?!! It only allows a tiny overclock on the core unless the shader is raised! Is this normal?!

It allows me to set the core at 46MHz higher if I leave the shader at the default 1296, so 648MHz, not 1MHz higher...

Can anyone check to see if they get the same thing?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  6. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    If you didnt increase to hell your memory u shudnt have broken anything

use another programme (like nvtools? that one which is for nv control panel), evga and rivatuner use "same" core and code i think (i mean, evga precision its just a cut-down version of rivatuner)

7. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    I guess you have to reboot the system when you enable the overclocking tab in rivatuner to avoid problems. You should be knowing this. Keeping the clocks linked is a good idea. Uninstall rivatuner and install it again. It will solve your problem.

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Other programs give the same result. It lets me increase the core based on how much the shader has increased. I don't need to link them it seems but it caps how much I can overclock based on the shader. With the shader at 1485MHz it lets me set the core 742MHz, not a MHz more.
    I already tried all that, nothing works. EVGA's tool gives the same result, only lets me increase the core based on the shader, otherwise the overclock is completely ignored.

Perhaps I was just crazy and didn't notice it won't let me increase the core without the shader? Can someone confirm this?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  9. NomadicX

NomadicX Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1660 Ti
    As far as I know you can't increase your core clock over half of what your shaders running at. Could be wrong but pretty sure that's how it works.

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Whew, that's what I was hoping for. So maybe I was just stupid and thought it was clocked higher. It shows the overclock set but it won't work and once the program's current page is reset it will show that it was not overclocked after all. Perhaps that's what happened. It's just odd that it would happen like that twice after the RAM crashed on two different cards (me mistaking the fake overclock as being set).

So hopefully this means I was panicking over nothing. The max stable clocks so far seem to be 742/1485/1265 which is a bit of a disappoint. The shader and RAM are definitely maxed out.

Well so this thread won't be a complete waste of time I may as well say that I'm impressed by the GTX280 compared to the 4870 1GB I had. That thing overheated like mad, this card maxes out at 60-61 when OC'd and the fan at 100% is the same as the HD4870's fan set at 50% in terms of volume. The 4870 was a damn vacuum cleaner, I wouldn't have been able to stand it if I didn't have in-ear earphones. The heatsink/fan on the 4870 was useless, if any of you buy one I HIGHLY recommend you use a 3rd party heatsink/fan on it.

Edit: Yes it seems that's right: http://www.xtremesystems.org/FORUMS/showthread.php?p=3186156

11. Luka_Aveiro

Luka_Aveiro Member

GPU:
    GTX850M
    that means you are cpu bound, not what you suggested

12. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    A 2.27 ratio between core and shader clocks is the optimum balance. This is also about what most linked parameters will be. You may be able to deviate from it somewhat. But you may run into a stability issue or four hundred of them if you widen the ratio too much. Clocking vid cards is a little different story from clocking processors where you have a little more freedom. I hope you find the sweet-spot on your card though! Once you do, it's almost elation. :)