Need ppl with 1440p 144hz+ and Warhammertotalwar 2 to troubleshoot microstutter issue

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by kman, Apr 11, 2021.

1. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    I'm asking for that specific game because it's one of the few games where the issue is the most aggressive and im trying to figure out if its a shared issue or just me.

What issue you might ask?This issue

It seems to only happen on 1440p 144hz+(current monitor is a dell S2721dgf 165hz monitor)

Issue stops happening the moment I put an fps limit of 120 on 1440p or play in 1080p 144hz.

The map in question is called "The lost idols" and if possible try to copy the same army composition as me and see if you get the same issue on 1440p 144hz.
    https://imgur.com/a/VqCJgn5

here are the settings to emulate

My complete rig:
    - 3080 driver 457.51 using 2 seperate cables.
    - 970evo SSD
    - Rog maximus XI hero bios 1802
    - 16gb 3200mhz
    - rmx 750 PSU
    - Monitor:S2721dgf Nvidia settings V-sync on/off ingame with -3 max frame limit.
    - Bios settings: XMP1,Synch all cores to 47,vccio,vccsa to 1.15 w/speedshift/step/c-states disbled.

Things I tried:
    - DDucleaned 3 suggested drivers.457.51,460.89 and 456.71
    - Undervolting Gpu.They still happen but the brunt of the micro stutter is less
    - Another 1440p 144hz monitor (has the same issue)
    - Checked for temps and neither cpu/gpu even reach 66c
    - both windows/nvidia driver set to maximum performance per game bases
    - G-sync off - Clean install w10

ib4 anyone asks I already sent a gpu trace of the issue 3 weeks ago (with no response) and I'm still waiting for a level 2 tech support to try and reproduce the issue.(again last response 3 weeks ago)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  2. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Update:I tried going back to my old 1080p 144hz monitor and upscaling to 1440p and the issue starts to happen again so its not a monitor issue.The gpu can't handle 1440p high fps for crap.

3. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    I do not see any issues here. Stop being so sensitive and game on!!!

4. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    try faster ram.

5. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Have you tried what I asked you to do before responding? 1440p+ 3080+ warhammer totalwar 2.

Do you get the same issue.

Also,the issue goes away on 1080p and you're telling me to put up with it?I can't ignore it because it creeps up in every game I play.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  6. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Its already fast at 3200mhz.

7. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Regrettably I do not have the game in question you're referring to, but this isn't the first time I've seen users report microstuttering behavior for this title.

It could simply be that this particular game is often CPU limited (many RTS games thrash the tar out of the CPU from what I gather) so at high refresh rates you get microstutter if you're playing at anything less than 4K (the 9900K is a beast, but Digital Foundry found that they were still getting CPU bound microstutter in some games with a 3900X + 2080 Super @1440p so it is possible in some games).

Two things to try for trouble shooting would be:
    1) Try an aggressive FPS cap with something like Rivatuner -- if you cap to 30 fps and the microstuttering stops you can steadily raise the value until you start to see the stuttering occur (so, you might be able to play the game at a locked 75 fps with no microstutters, but uncapping the framerate where it would run between 90-144 fps or some such might have visible microstutter).
    2) You can try to simulate being fully GPU bound to see if that resolves the problem. For example, you can use Nvidia DSR in the control panel then downscale the game from 4 or 5K -- this will of course lower framerates significantly but you can be sure you'll be fully GPU bound and it'll lighten the load on the CPU -- does this fix the problem? For myself in some titles where I've been getting bad microstutter simply using DSR to further increase resolution has resolve the issue for me.

If neither of those fixes the issue then either game itself could be borked/badly programmed (i've seen a lot of reports for this particular game stuttering) or there could possibly be a hardware issue even, unsure.

Sadly not all games are as elegantly optimized/programmed as DOOM Eternal. For me (I have a 3900X + 2080 Super) in Outer Worlds I have to cap the cap to 30 fps on my G-Sync panel as anything higher will result in nasty microstutters -- it's just how that game operates on my hardware seems like. Or in Hunt Showdown at 1440p/max settings I occasionally will get microstutters unless I cap the framerate to something consistently achievable or use DSR to shift more load onto the GPU (that game is DX11 -- shame it's not using Vulkan/DX12 for better CPU usage on high thread count CPUs, but I digress...). Some games just don't play nice it seems :( so it's kind of a case by case I think.

EDIT: Ah, I think we'd talked about this already over in the other thread. If you've already done all the typical trouble shooting steps and this issue happens regardless and happens for all games you play, not just a handful then I'm not certain what the issue(s) is regrettably. I might give a full clean windows install a shot just to have tried everything, but could be something is borked with the hardwell itself in some way since iirc you'd said before that when the GPU is heavily utilized games microstutter badly which shouldn't happen as far as I know. Usually it's the other way around where if the GPU is being underutilized but the CPU is being thrashed you get bad microstuttering. Best of luck to you mate.

Could it perhaps be your Power Supply? Bad PSUs can cause a lot of issues. If it was PSU it might go someway towards explaining why when you're GPU is under load you see the issue start to manifest -- I guess the control panel "Prefer Max Performance" could be tested as well just to give it a go.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  8. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    I already did a clean w10 isntall a month ago trying to figure this out.I already have max performance both for w10 and in the nvidia control panel.

Certainly if it was the PSU I would get blue screens the moment the game runs,no?
    I noticed you have a 2080 and im starting to wonder if its something up with the 3k cards.I've been getting very similar reports from other ppl and am wondering if its something to do with ampere cards when seriously taxed.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    BlindBison likes this.
  9. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    I'm gonna try the same test with the exact map (warhammer totalwar2) on my brothers PC and see if he gets the same thing on 1440p.He has my old 1080ti.
    If he gets nothing there's something up with my gpu and if he gets the same thing il rest my case.He also has a 9700k and slightly slower ram.

UPDATE:hmmm the fps difference doing the same test is waaay to big.He gets 40-50 fps while i get 100+ :/ did the same map/army composition and altought he gets stutters when moving the camera around they are not as frequent as my test.His are bigger frametime spikes more spaced out vs mine which are smaller and more frequent.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  10. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Maybe your card is borked :(

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Since it also affects other games couldn't it be input latency related?
    Try with hags on, different nvcpl low latency modes while hags is off and see if there is a difference there.
    Make sure to have nvcpl v-sync on and g-sync enabled/forced at the same time.
    Apart from that, looking at your fps having a 120 cap seems appropriate for least amount of fluctuation, can you tweak the games settings to go beyond 144fps and not dropping much below 140?

12. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    I sent manuel a gputrace of the issue but he didn't reply back.You reckon they could figure out if it was a gpu issue with a gpu trace?
    I don't have a spare gpu to try :/

13. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Putting LLM to ultra stops the the almost constant small micro stutters shown in the video in warhammer but no the random minor frametime spikes.

look at the first part of this video.That's with LL on ultra.As you can see most of the micro stutters are gone but there's still the kinda frequent odd frametime spike happening.

UPDATE:I also tried messing with the settings ingame and it seems using porthole settings 2D instead of 3D Greatly reduces the issue.Equivalent (kinda) to using LLM ultra without actually using it.
    Porthole is the tiny moving 3D element where the chosen unit shows up bottom left.You can choose to switch it to 2d.(as in a picture)

Still.The issue doesn't happen on 1080p 165hz even with porthole set to 3d.

14. ashfaloth

ashfaloth Guest

GPU:
    Hm which settings ingame? infinite videoram on or off? Extreme shadows or just on ultra?
    You can try turning off screen space reflections or turning down fog quality as those options made the most problems.
    Don't know if its a driver problem with the 3xxx series.

Just to be sure, delete the display driver in windows systemsettings, restart into safemode and clean everything nvidia related. Restart and install the newest driver

I play tww2 on a 2700x and a 2070Super and my game is gpu capped at almost all the time at 99% so it should be a cpu problem you are facing.

Try alt+enter. Maybe its in the wrong mode in that particular resolution using fullscreen.

If you have this problem in every game, maybe try a different energy plan.

15. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    I use high settings.I have infinite vram off/fog low

"Just to be sure, delete the display driver in windows systemsettings, restart into safemode and clean everything nvidia related. Restart and install the newest driver"
    I've done this 5+ times with different drivers.

I already have high performance enabled both for windows 10 and the nvidia driver.

Do you play on 1440p?You have a 2070 so I it's not really the same :/

Porthole to 2D on 1440p seems to make the massive difference.Not as smooth as playing on 1080p but def a significant improvement.

On other games its not as bad as warhammer.

This is what I basically get when gpu is stressed 80%+ on 1440p.Notice the small random frametime spikes.You can even tell on the Apex part where the game starts at high gpu usage and they start popping off and they decrease as the gpu usage decreases.

That's basically gone if I play on 1080p

I need to find someone with similar specs as me (with a 3080) that has warhammer totalwar 2 and follow the same scenario/same units I use ingame.
    I could easily find out if its a game issue or hardware limitation if someone like that is willing to test.
    https://imgur.com/a/VqCJgn5 my settings ingame