Need power supply help Pleas ASAP.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ThereIsASpoon, Aug 3, 2005.

1. ThereIsASpoon

ThereIsASpoon Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9550
    Ok My power Supply blew up and Im wanting a new stronger one. Would this one be good for my comp?

A-Power 550W ATX Power Supply w/4.5-Inch Fan & SATA Power

2. MrRand0m

MrRand0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    try an antec or enermax.... they are the most reccommended

3. Drunkenmasta

Drunkenmasta Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    ey, keep away from cheap brands, their values are by peak wattage and not their true values. If you wish to upgrade in the near future, get an Antec, Enermax, OCZ or Tagan PSU. They are all good makes. any one of them with 480W or more would be great. If you don't wish to upgrade, then get one of the brands as above but a 400W would be sufficient enough.

Hope this helps!

pz out

4. ThereIsASpoon

ThereIsASpoon Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9550
    I want to know is if this powersupply will work in my computer though. I dont care about brand I just neeed a power supply that works.

5. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    if you want the best with a 5 year warranty, go no further then here. these guys make the best psu on the market hands down.

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/

6. Renegade87

Renegade87 Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 6800 GT OC 256MB AGP
    kevmif, Drunkenmasta, & dominant1 all supplied you with recommendations of reputable manufacturers/resellers.

A couple more to add to the list:

Seasonic
    Fortron Source (FSP Group)

The thing about just throwing in any old PSU that works is, how long and how well will it work? You can buy a $29 500w "Special" that has the 20 pin main mobo connector you need for your Epox-8RDA3I, and (depending on the total power draw of your hardware and how you use it... do you overclock?) that might be fine.... for now. But judging by your specs, your rig is "getting a little long in the tooth" and no doubt you'll be thinking of upgrading in the not to distant future (if you aren't already).

Although most all manufacturers/resellers are including 20-24 pin adapters with their PSU's, some have a "All in one" type main mobo connector which will work in either configuration. OCZ comes to mind.

Your best bet is to buy a PSU now that will fit your future upgrades. Chances are you're looking at an Athlon64 platform at some point. For about $75-$125 you can get a quality 400 watt to 500 watt PSU that'll be good to go when you finally upgrade.

What is your budget? To acurately calculate your amperage needs we need to know what are your complete system specs?
    With this info we could make a sloid recommendation on which PSU you should get.

Personally, I'm with dominant1. I have a modded (UV Red sleeved & UV Red connectors) PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 510 Deluxe, but most noobies balk at the $200 (stock) price tag. Then they OC their Rig and their $29 500w "Special" catches fire and nearly burns the house down. Live & learn.