Need nVidia Card Recommendation

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Translucid, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Translucid

Translucid Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS n6600GT. 128MB - AGP - Stock.
    Hey There Guru's,

I have had about 3 cards in my system now. First was a FX5200, second a Radeon 9600 Pro and the third a 6600GT. The 6600GT has been great, but I've had ALOT of overheating problems with two different 6600gt's now. I also didn't use the power of the card as much as I thought I would.

I've decided I need to downgrade. I'm not making the most of the 6600GT and it's going to waste. What I need is a fairly cheap, lower power card to meet the following requirements;

- Video/DVD Playback
    - Video Editing via Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5
    - Very light gaming (on things like NFS Underground and GTAIII/VC)
    - Image editing via Adobe Photoshop

And I think that's about it, really. I want to stay with nVidia. I like thier product, and I like the colour correction utilities they offer - especially important for me as I edit alot of video and photography.

So, what do you guys suggest? I have seen the 5600, but will that cause overheating issues like my 6600gt? I need to be 100% sure the card I get will work without any heat problems as my case appears to be very badly venelated (this IS quite a standard system). That in mind, will it be advisable to just go all the way back down to FX5200 and be done with it?

2. Sieras

Sieras Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    i think that you're looking for APG based cards, right? so.. 5200 is damn slow, the only positive thing is that it heats not so much :) 5600 is a better choise, but hey.. i would still recommend something from the 6xxx series, not lower.. it will heat about the same but will give you better performance, and of course a better support for those video editing ant photography,which you've mentioned :) i would say that you try a 6200, i don't think that it will heat so much, and it's better that 5200 for sure :) but if your case can handle the heat of 6600 (not GT), that go for that! this would be even better :)

3. Darkasantion

Darkasantion Master Guru

GPU:
    Club 3D HD5870 1035/1325
    6600 Non GT maybe?

4. Nickf

Nickf Banned

GPU:
    x1950 XT 715/2052/1.475v ATI Cooler
    Why would you downgrade? All you need to do is beef up your cooling a little bit.

5. SHAUN707

SHAUN707 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X1600PRO 256 MB
  6. kerpunkin27

kerpunkin27 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GTX+
    Have you tried to underclock it since your not using it for games much? Also check all your fans inside the case and blow it out good.That card is great for the stuff you want it for.The 5xxx series cards are not to good. Or you could give it some better cooling upgrades cheap and keep it like it is.The 6600 has the PureVideo technology which the 5xxx series dont. You can also use rivatuner and check and adjust you fan speeds.

7. reactor88

reactor88 Active Member

GPU:
    2900 Pro 800/900
    keep your card, and fix the cooling. spending $20 on fans is better than $120 on a card you dont need.

8. Ankit kukreti

Ankit kukreti Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 7600 GT
    Overheating, so there has to reason for it. I never liked cards with more clock speed. 6800 has more pipelines and is better than 6600GT. All you have to do is improve cooling. May be improve colling of your case.

6600 is cheap and a good card though