1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need new HDD C/drive advice.

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by MaXThReAT, Jan 31, 2019.

1. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Master Guru

GPU:
    970-G1 SOC 1.5Ghz/8.2Ghz
    Hey there,
    Need a little point in the right directions if anyone can help.
    I'm working on my parents PC. Custom built little rig.
    It has a tiny little C/ drive they finally filled up after years.
    PC is still good for their needs so we're just putting a new HDD in.
    They're not proficient enough to understand a C/ and D/ drive and they would like to keep everything EXACTLY the same as it is. Single drive, keep all their programs and files and keep their current windows install. Just move it all to a new C/ drive.

So question is... Is there a free or cheep software you can recommend or an easy way in windows to copy the current C/ drive to a new drive. Remove the old C/ drive from the pc and replace it with the copy on the new larger drive as a replacement C/ drive.
    I think I'm just missing a single step but I can't get the PC to recognize the new drive as a bootable device.

Window 7 PC.
    SATA drives
    Also have a third external backup drive of the old C drive if that matters.

Any help would be great. Thanks guys.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    You can buy Samsung SSD and use the migration tool shipped with.
    You can make a backup of current disk with Windows own tool and then restore it to new disk. But you should make a bootable USB thumb drive for that.

3. zipper

zipper Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
  4. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Master Guru

GPU:
    970-G1 SOC 1.5Ghz/8.2Ghz
    Yeah that's what I thought I would do is just use the tool in windows. Either I missed something or messed up because all it would do is make a backup of the C/ drive on the new drive but it would only use it to restore to the original smaller drive. Did I do something wrong maybe?

Also going to look into some of that suggested software, thanks.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Have you booted from USB thumb drive with Windows Recovery Environment after you placed a new disk instead of old one? Such boot should offer you an option to restore a backup image to new disk.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/

https://www.howtogeek.com/131907/ho...ery-drive-or-system-repair-disc-in-windows-8/

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019