Need input on new build based on the 9950BE

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by subxero, Sep 20, 2008.

1. subxero

subxero Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    I am looking to build a new system replacing the one in my sig. I plan to use the AMD Phenom 9950BE. I understand it uses a 140w cpu.I want to be sure the Mobo and memory I use work with it out of the box, since I'm going from a 939 to a AM2, and would prefer not to have to buy multiple processors to upgrade the Mobo to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would prefer to stick with a AMD Mobo since I will be sticking with a ATI GPU.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive $74.99

Antec NeoPower 650 Blue 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply $79.99

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEM DVD $99.99

MSI K9A2 Platinum AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard
    AMD Phenom 9950 BLACK EDITION 2.6GHz Socket AM2+ 140W Quad-Core Processor Model HD995ZFAGHBOX $293.98 (Combo Deal)

2 X Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KHX8500AD2K2/4GR $92.99 each

I also have a retail copy of Vista home Premium Upgrade x32 would I be able to download a copy of x64 and use my key or do I have to buy the new one.

Thanks

2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    you'd have to buy a new one, 32bit keys don't work with 64bit keys (with the exception of when you buy a package that has both 32bit and 64bit OS's in it) as far as i know

3. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    First of all, your 32 bit CD key will work for an install of the same OS version (i.e. Vista Home Premium x86 to Vista Home Premium x64) - most of the people on this forum that have VHP x64 have done the 'Anytime Upgrade' where you only pay for shipping (roughly $10USD) for the x64 version...

Nowthen, that MSI board is a no-go for me. I've pulled the sockets clean off 3 separate MSI motheboards with the same Tt Big-Typhoon that's been on no less than 7 ASUS boards...the retaining spring on the Big-Typhoon is pretty strong, but shouldn't be strong enough to pull the socket clean off a motherboard - which says to me that MSI's soldering techniques leave a little to be desired...in fact, I wouldn't run an MSI board if it came with controlling interest and stock in the company!
    Aside from that, it's not a good future-proof direction to head...that board will run the current Phenom lineup, but will require BIOS update just to recognize the new Deneb architecture when it comes out...something that the ASUS M3A79-T already has, and not only that, but the M3A79-T will run it a full-function whereas that MSI board will most likely be deficient in the overclocking arena with the new Deneb design.

Your RAM should work fine, but if you haven't purchased it yet, you really should do some research in the http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=223253&highlight=buyer%27s+guide"]D9 Buyer's Guide here at Guru3D[/URL] first - purchasing RAM is the single biggest and easiest mistake that EVERYONE makes...and toss out that notion that you've got to have the lowest latency RAM altogether - it's not about the lowest latencies, it's about overclockability, and from many, many years of experience, I can tell you that most low-latency RAM doesn't necessarily overclock well at all...it's more about the lowest latencies you can have with the highest MHz overclock you can achieve.

Not a bad deal on that PSU, but it wouldn't hurt to get a higher wattage one with higher amperes on the 12V rail(s) - do a bit more research on what's available to you...and think of a PSU as an investment, not an expense...this is one thing that you can use in future builds to come, and should be purchased with exactly that in mind - it's not something that you toss when you're done with your current system - IF you've got a good name-brand, high wattage, high amperage PSU to begin with.

The Seagate is a great HDD - you'll like it alot, although it is a bit louder than the WD equivalent, they all work the same and are pretty fast.

Last, don't forget that you don't have to purchase Vista Home Premium x64 at all - just go to the Anytime Upgrade and order the disk for the x64 version...all you pay is S&H and you're set to go with the same exact 32bit key you already have.

Good luck!

Psychlone

4. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    Personally i'd go with a mobo that has a SB750 if only for the lower power draw and future OC potential. There isn't even that much if any of a price difference.

Antec has a good reputation, but i've meet people who's antec psu have failed on them. Usually antec replaced them free of charge or even upgraded if it was obsolete.

However a power supply should never fail. It would just leave you with an expensive paper weight if it ever went out and took the mobo with it.

5. MOFO64

MOFO64 Banned

GPU:
    9800GTX+ & 8800GT softTH
    agreed

MSi of late have surprised quite a few of us with their K9A2 premium and such. I appreciate different users may have problems from time to time but MSI have yet to let me down. I had the first B2 stepping phenom to hit 3ghz on extremesystems using a K9A2 premium. MSi are decent these days.

I totally agree here aswell. forget low latency, bandwidth is king :)

6. subxero

subxero Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Thanks for the info so far. I looked at the ASUS M3A79-T and it dose look to be more of what I'm looking for, and is a SB750 as well. I simply choose the Kingston HyperX because it had been reliable for me in the past, though I'm not set in buying it.Though I need to make sure it will support the 9950 out of the box.

That brings me to my next question. I have seen where AMD state the 9950 is only capable of working with 1 1066 per memory bank (something like that) and I was planing to buy 8gb of memory. So will it only use 4gb one in each bank or two?

I am planning to do some research tis week before I buy. I had looked at some nice 1000w PSUs but wasn't sure if it would be overkill since I may never use more than one GPU.

Thanks Again

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  7. genecrazy

genecrazy Guest

8. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    The Seagate he picked out is faster :p

9. subxero

subxero Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    I went ahead and placed my order today. Hopefully I will recieve it by Friday.

This is what I decided on:
    AMD Phenom 9950BE
    ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe AMD 790FX SB750
    2 x Kingston HyperX 1066 KHX8500AD2K2/4GR (8gb total)
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750watt PSU
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB

Not too bad for $740. Looking forward to getting it together.

Thanks Again for the help.

10. Nightcover

Nightcover Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 8800GT 512mb
    Congrats for your new system

11. XF_Golden

XF_Golden Member

GPU:
    XFX 9800Gx2 800/1125/1850
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=274723

CAUTION on The MOBO Mine caught on fire. it luckyly did not hurt my ram 9950 or 9800gx2.

I wound up going with the ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe. you should try and get one with the latest possible manufacture date so that your bios will work with the 9950. I happened to have my AM2 5200+ handy so I used that while flashing my bios up. Once that was done I installed the 9950 and it just works. no fires either. one bit of caution however. if you are planning on running TriSLi make sure the cards are a little shorter then the GX2. from what I can tell there would not be enough clearance from the bottom of my Gx2 to the next PCi-e slot.

it took my G.Skill 2GB modules. it has a built in OS that lets you boot into a minlinux with a youtube capable browser, Skype and a chat app. It also says that it will support H-SLi between the onboard graphics an my Gx2 specifically but I'm not sure as I have yet to try that.

GL, but do yourself a favor and do not Get the K9N2 SLI Platinum.

12. XF_Golden

XF_Golden Member

GPU:
    XFX 9800Gx2 800/1125/1850
    N/M missed that last post

13. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Congrats on the new rig - that's going to be a killer!
    The only exception that I can see that may pose problems with an overclock is going to be the 2 X 4GB RAM...but that's yet to be seen.
    And when you're ready to max that system out to it's full potential, follow the guide I wrote specifically for the M3A32-MVP http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=267708 - remember, the M3A79-T is identical in BIOS and works exactly the same...ACC changes are on your own since every Phenom reacts differently, there's no use in my adding of ACC to the guide, since there really isn't any guideline or template that would be effective for all Phenoms out there. Test, retest, retest again and again and again........

Good luck!

Psychlone

14. subxero

subxero Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Thanks for suggesting the ASUS mobo, I'm definatly glad I picked it up. I'll check out the guides.

Thanks Again