1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need idea for tiny foot print OS for music PC?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by ROBSCIX, Jan 21, 2010.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Hey guys, I was hoping one of you may have a good idea on what to use.

I am building a new system to go with a Home theater. This system is just for music, nothing else.

I need OS software that will load my music player software when the system boots -Such as Winamp or foobar...etc. I know there is no need for an entire XP or win7 install just for this and it also takes up valuable space on my music drive.
    The system will just be a ITX mobo, large HDD and a good soundcard.
    I was looking at Tiny XP, that is a step in the right direction but there has to be something around that was designed for such tasks.

I remember something called X-Windows but I am not sure if that is for such a task.

Any ideas?

2. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 570
  3. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Well as small as possible. I don't need any extras, just enough software to run Foobar or Winamp and the supporting software such as the drivers for add in soundcard.
    I can run Winamp or Foobar on this Distro? I guess I could use WINE, or somthing similar.
    The idea I want is Winmp or foobar to load ASAP as soone as your turn on the system. This OS, may help to speed up the boot for sure.
    I am not up on the latest in Linux which is why I made this thread.....
    Can linux or a form of it do what I need?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  4. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 380 4gb
    If you are planning to run KDE desktop in Linux/BSD, you can use http://amarok.kde.org/ instead of WinAmp or Foobar2000.

If you get soundcard drivers for OS you are using.

Perhaps get like 30gb SSD for Windows 7, it should boot up quite fast. You can use Task Scheduler to make WinAmp/foobar2000 to start up every time OS starts.

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I am open to ideas but I am stuck on either Winamp or Foobar. I like the option of both those players not to mention the DSP and output plugins such as ASIO.
    One particular option I like of Foobar, well a skin in Chronoflow, which puts all your albums up like a stack and you can thumb through them. I would like to have that up on a big screen.

6. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD630 :(
    If you didnt want Linux, isn't there the option to Vlite the installation of Win7 should be able to make the OS install smaller in size

Just an idea you could look into :)

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I am not sure what I am going to use yet..just has to be small and fast.
    I am familiar with applications such as nLite and others that allow you to rip out unneeded sections and applicaitons in teh OS and that might be an option also.

8. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB.
    Nlite seems to be a good idea. You could in theory make Win 7 as small as you want.

9. Jeremy

Jeremy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    To be honest, linux seems too complicated (for your situation) with an emulator like WINE. Your best bet would either be XP or 7 with most of the features disabled. Do you need a network connection? I hear that if you don't need a network connection that you can speed up boot times considerably.

10. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Possibly, but it seems like the Linux instal maybe be much lighter then XP or WIn7 streamlined. They still seem quite heavy for what I want. I am considering a net connection but not sure on that one. I just put the WINE idea out there as there may be other way to go about it. I am not that fluent on linux...

11. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    I think Winamp still Windows98..kinda dumb idea though.

12. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    nLite is probably your best option. Sound in Linux is a mess with the popular distros, getting everything to work the way you know an XP system will would take a lot of work. And you aren't guaranteed most features of your sound card will work.

13. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    i like ubuntu 9.10 works so cool with no problem...and with asla..or pulse!!! u can do so manny tricks! i prefere manny times when i make parties and the music is priority!@@@@@ cause i know nothing will messed up@

14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I have been considering that also as win98 is pretty light compared to WinXp or Win7. Winamp and Foobar should operate perfectly fine under Win98, actually 98SE might be better. I am still open to the linux route as I am taking opinions from all sides. Keep them coming.

What I would like is little to no signs of an OS. Start the system and it boots right to WinAMP or Foobar. As fast as possible is preferable.

15. mrmonsoon

mrmonsoon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7870+2509M+2511X
    If you are wanting windows 7, there is Win 7 starter....
    (it is limited, but has a very small footprint)

There was also win xp starter.

Along with those, I do recommend using Nlite to remove the "stuff" you don't want, need in the OS.

Please Note: This may be a trial and error method when using nlite-you have been warned.

16. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I have used Nlite many times, but thanks for your concern.

17. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
  18. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300
  19. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    That is not what I am looking for.

20. SnooSnoo

SnooSnoo Maha Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD510
    Tiny XP, but you never heard it from me. Revisions 08 and 09 are sp3 streamlined. It installs with a not so legal key, but you can make it a legit copy by entering your legit key into the registry, or use this.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010