Need help, GPU severely underperforming

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Smough, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Hello, I need some aid, I am clueless here. So my GPU is giving 10 to 15 fps less at pretty much all games, even when making overclock, the performance increases, but not even close to stock clocks. I have been watching some Youtube videos on gameplay and benchmarks of my GPU and mine is running terribly bad; tried DDU 4 times, tried 3 different drivers months apart to eliminate "driver family" error or fault, so I just went back to my usual driver. My GPU is a GTX 1060.

I can only say this seemed to happen when I got a new Full HD monitor with Freesync and using the DisplayPort cable to get G-Sync benefits, which does work, but I don't know why my GPU performance is gimped. I tried an HDMI cable and it was the same. Turning G-Sync off completely makes no difference. Some games are also stuttering way harder, the properly optimized games run ok, but with an fps penalty as well. Temps are normal by the looks of it.

If I set my games to 900p (my former monitor resolution) games run with less fps too, so overall the GPU performance is closer to a 1050 Ti now by the looks of it.

I searched for this video:

That guy has a slightly older CPU than me (I have an i7 4770) and he is getting over 70 fps, I tried my game (same game of course) with his settings and location and I can't get past 60 fps, v-sync was off of course. Other videos are the same, GPU's equivalent to mine pretty much get 15 fps more than mine, 20 in some cases, so I am at a severe performance loss.

I can only think it's some monitor setting that is causing this, I don't know. It's an lg 24MP60G-B, the display looks great and all, but I don't know what is happening to my GPU. I seriously need help. I tried a lot of configurations, but had no luck at all.

:(

2. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Memory performance is the key to gaming performance. You want 2400mhz memory or more with 3770k and 4770/4790k :D

I used 2800c12 avexir memory for my old setup with Asrock OCF z77 and z87

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  3. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Yeah, that's true indeed, but I think the guy in that video has the same RAM speeds as me, so odd stuff. Also I switched to an HDMI cable I had that said it was for high performance 4k and I got most of my fps back. Wtf.

The problem came back for no reason. Damn.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  4. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    What memory speed and settings do you have?

5. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    How old is the graphics card, might be like my ASUS Strix 2080 it was performing ok it didn't seem to be overheating but was getting some inconsistent frame rates when not using Gsync at 100Hz so above 100fps.

In that it was running at 73C well below the 83C threshold it was crashing all the time couldn't figure out what was wrong. I ran HWinfo everything seemed fine ran it in the background played some games for a while crash then I noticed... GPU hot spot 105C!!! that's right MSI afterburner and HWinfo was saying GPU was 73C while playing games but HWinfo showed GPU hot spot and it hit 105C so got some MX5 thermal compound.

Cleaned the GPU and HSF and re-applied the thermal compound and the temps are now 65C and 75C hot spot... yeah 20C drop!!! Crashing gone inconsistent frame rates gone. Now looking at the pic the memory is only half covered.

Attached Files:

6. BlackNova92

BlackNova92 Master Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    i'm in a similar situation, whenever i see that people with a 1060 get higher frames than me with my 1080, i wondered if my card was broken or something like that(it defo got slower over time and using curve OC in msi AB shows that it's around 20mhz slower, not big of a difference anyway), but still.
    i think it is due to the fact that a lot of games are more cpu hungry than gpu, especially if you set them at 900p, therefore the gpu gets bored and if frames are needed it won't push them out simply because the card is not being used.
    Best example for me is Overwatch, i'm sitting at idk, maybe 50% or so at 200fps, but if anything crazy happens my card either drops frames or doesn't give a damn, and the further down you go with the resolution, the more cpu hungry it gets and less gpu is being used, so it would just get worse in my case.

(i have no idea if it happens because of FPS caps or gsync or anything like that)

7. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    16 GB of RAM at 1600 MHz, by the way, I switched to a high speed HDMI cable I had and got all of my performace back, but no Freesync, which sucks. Somehow seems the DisplayPort cable was killing my performance badly.

8. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    If you are using a DisplayPort cable, change it to a HDMI cable, a good one. It's worth a shot, fixed my problem. I love to use Freesync, but not at the cost of losing 15 fps, which is GTX 1050 Ti terrain. Seems I need a better cable I guess.

9. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Ignore what I said earlier, the problem came back for no reason. This is frustrating... Max temp from HwInfo is 68c, so I assume temps are fine.

10. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Still try faster memory. I bet it's cheap used :)
    Aim for 2400mhz+

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its probably just the case with nvidia driver overhead in cpu limited scenarios. Thats why reducing the resolution makes no difference. It has nothing to do with ram speeds.

If you had more modern cpu and ddr4 your gtx1060 would perform like it should.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  12. fear029

fear029 Member

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX980 D
    OP, what video drivers are you using?

13. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Memoryspeed IS helping if the cpu is the bottleneck. You are even writing it...

14. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Uhh, check the video I linked. A PC with even an older cpu, same ram speeds and he gets over 70 fps with my same settings at that game, so that does not seem to be the issue.

15. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    446.14, tried 3 newer ones, used ddu to properly delete them and got the same results. I also have a dual boot with older Windows 10 1607 and 442.59 drivers, same result on both Windows, so seems the issue is physical now and not software.

16. fear029

fear029 Member

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX980 D
    Please try driver 471.41 and report back.

17. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I tried those, latest ones and some other, all is the same. :/

fear029 likes this.
  18. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Yeah, I know I should, but anyway, I lost performance all of a sudden. As I said, when I switched to HDMI cable, fps were fine, but then they went back down again for no apparent reason, so I just went back to the DisplayPort cable to keep troubleshooting from there, since the cable made no difference. I believe it could be a monitor setting, but no idea which one.

19. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    Hi! No hags, no game mode? Have you checked services? Maybe smth eating resources? Do you use only rtss limiter? Any other bg software? Oc software? Max windows power plan? How low you fix your frame rate to the refresh? Low latency settings?

20. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    HAGS off, game mode made no difference, services as usual, I disable most of them. CPU and GPU rest at 0% at task manager while doing nothing. I do use RTSS but I uncapped fps to test and I am at severe loss, Windows power plan is at ultimate performance, refresh rate is standard, 75 Hz for my monitor, low latency is default.

Sometimes the performance randomly comes back when I reboot or turn off the computer, it is completely RANDOM, I could get good performance again or subpar performance again (I am talking about sub 30 fps in Shadow Of The Tomb Raider normal settings, sub 45 fps in Control at normal settings when it should be 60, less than 50 fps at World War Z and unusual stutters when the GPU is in "weak" mode.) Never seen something so damn strange at any computer. I am talking to the guy who owns the store where I got it 2 years ago to see if he can give me a hand.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021