Need Help!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Lofti, May 1, 2007.

1. Lofti

Lofti Member Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek 7970 2GB x2
    here's a fun story with lots of wacky tales....

System Specs...

E6700 @ 2.66
    eVGA 680i SLI
    eVGA 8800GTX
    2GB OCZ Platinum SLI 1066 RAM
    2 Samsung 250GB SATA2 in Raid 0
    Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1
    Enermax Noisetaker 2 660 Watt PSU
    Gigabyte Galaxy II watercooling
    Chimei 22" LCD @1680x1050

The fun started last Friday 4-26....

I got a complete system lock-up while playing a cheesey little game thats great for killing time and is very low on the graphics called Albatross 18...it killed the system completely with a loud buzz coming from my speakers. I thought no way! So I rebooted, checked some temps, error logs and unistalled and reinstalled the game. Well, the same thing happened after 10 minutes of play. Once again, the phrase "NO WAY"! After a reboot I unistalled the game, and tried another game to see if it was only Albatross18. This time I tried BF2142, all was going well, and BOOM...same thing. After pulling out about 1000 hairs making sure everything was OK both physically and software wise, I tried 3Dmark06...11000 score. Now I'm really confused...so I load up FEAR...I get stutters about every minute or so. I then uninstall every driver, sound,video,nforce, all of it...reboot, then install everything fresh, and, "hey"...it's working, everything is running the way it should. So after about 2 hours of BF2142 play, I decide to listen to some MP3's on Winamp...things are great and I decide to open the visualations tab, you know the funky little graphic visualations that move with the music....and BAM!...system crash with a loud buzz again. HOLY JEEBUS!!...ok...time for a reformat...and maybe a BIOS flash to the P27....So after a fresh install of XP MCE and all freshly downloaded drivers , I'm thinkin', that I needed a fresh install and this might work. Well all that went down the drain when I loaded the NVcontrol panel, and I see the little spinning Nvidia logo with spikes sticking out of it. So I reboot, load the NVcontrol panel again, and poof...no problems???? So I try flashing the Bios to the P27, which goes well...cheers to eVGA!...I configure the BIOS the way I had it before ....and it decides that it doesn't want to see my Raid...until I manual reboot it about 10 times, then it works flawlessly after that. So, now I start to renistall my sound card and all my software including games....life is good!....I launch winamp, load a MP3, and click the Visualasation button....and life is still good...I'm thinking I finally found the "Holy Grail" to my problems (P27 BIOS)...that's until I run 3Dmark06...lock, crash, poof!....BF2142...stutters every minute or so and then lock,crash,POOF!..I then read that people are having problems with RAM voltages, and I think,I have mine set to SLI, so it is running at 1066...so I restart, get into the BIOS and disable SLI memory, that lowers it to 800...save and exit....and NO BOOT!!!!....WAH?...back to the BIOS ,enable SLI memory...save and exit...and WALLAH!....I try it again...and no boot! I set it back to 1066...and check CPU-Z....and it tells me that my multiplyer is at 6X and my CPU speed is 1660.0 ....HUH?...so I reload it and it flashes 10X 2660.0 then back to 6X 1660.0. nTune says 10X 2660.0...I'm lost...I started a RMA with eVGA today for the 8800GTX...maybe I need one for the Motherboard too...while I'm at it maybe the RAM and CPU too?

Any Ideas?

I know this is post is badly constructed...but I think I pulled out some brain when I pulled out the hairs!

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  2. Nishchal Sharma

Nishchal Sharma Master Guru

GPU:
    inno3d geforce (2X7800GT)
    God ...that was a really long post......

3. Nishchal Sharma

Nishchal Sharma Master Guru

GPU:
    inno3d geforce (2X7800GT)
    Well I think the best way to start is to check for the temp of your CPU and GPU.....if you have OC ur system...put it at rest for some time.....Use riva tuner to moniter the tmp.....this might help you find the real cause of the problem..........

4. ntfx

ntfx Guest

definitely the video card i'd say, funny comparison, but i had a Radeon 9500 that did this out the box, everytime i loaded ANY graphical item, including the spinning logo in the driver tabs the system hard locked or turned off. I tried a different card and it worked flawlessly ever since till i got rid of that system.

Odd.

5. Lofti

Lofti Member Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek 7970 2GB x2
    I've been logging temps since this morning....

32C on the CPU

49C on the GPU

Voltages are pretty stable...

this all stays about the same until I run any games or 3Dmark06...or even AquaMark

and I haven't OC'd this system much...

I've had this system since the end of January with no problems until last friday....

my other system with almost the same specs (as listed in my info specs) is running top notch....

I even swapped the PSU from my other system with this one (Enermax Galaxy)...same problems...

just kind of lost as to why a Video card would effect would effect so much...

I'm writing this from the problemed system...I even watched a DVD...with no problems...but if I launch a game or some kind of graphics ...poof!

6. ntfx

ntfx Guest

the waterblock aint leaked onto the card has it?

7. Lofti

Lofti Member Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek 7970 2GB x2
    no....that was one of the first things I checked...I even used a UV lamp...due to the coolant I use is UV reactive...

8. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    xfx 5700xt 8gig
    I would set everything back to stock speeds and try and see if that works.

9. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    xfx 5700xt 8gig
    Also try reinstalling nvidia drivers or installing newer drivers too and see if that dont help.

10. Lofti

Lofti Member Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek 7970 2GB x2
    Everyting is at stock except for the RAM...if I try to set it back to 800mhz...it doesn't boot...it only boots at 1066mhz....I even tried flashing it back to the P26 bios ...with no luck there either...

thanx for the help tho....keep the ideas coming!

11. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    xfx 5700xt 8gig
    Hmm maybe your motherboard is screwy. Most motherboard should let the ram run at stock speeds.

12. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    xfx 5700xt 8gig
    Nevermind your ram is suppost to run at 1066.

13. Lofti

Lofti Member Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek 7970 2GB x2
    funny thing happened last night....while posting a response here....lock and crash....I had nothing running except Internet Explorer....loud buzz and poof!

14. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX 3090 H2O
    Try a fresh install of windows , install all the latest drivers for your chipset , graphic card , flash your bios to the latest one , if that does not work try the card in a different system.

Good Luck

15. Lofti

Lofti Member Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek 7970 2GB x2
    Took your advice....drank a beer also...

Updated the Bios to the P27..again

Reinstalled MCE....

redownloaded the latest drivers....

I left the soundcard out of the loop this time....

I used the Enermax Galaxy from 2nd system....

it crashed....

but this time it gave me a windows error log...

Product: Windows Operating System
    ID: 1003
    Source: System Error
    Version: 5.2
    Symbolic Name: ER_KRNLCRASH_LOG
    Message: Error code %1, parameter1 %2, parameter2 %3, parameter3 %4, parameter4 %5.

windows technet has 30 or so fixes for this ....from virus to laptop ...non fit the bill for me!

tried BF2142 ...same thing smooth play for about 30 seconds ...then lockup

I ordered a new Thermatake 1200 watt PSU ...and eVGA will probably ship the new card tommorow....think I will wait til I get both to try anything again...

someone suggested trying the 8800GTX in another system ...I tried that and had pretty bad artifacting in CS:S but it never crashed...if this is a voltage problem, I'm really hesitant about testing any components from this system in another!

thanx for the replies....keep em coming!