need help with xp

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by iceman320, Feb 17, 2009.

1. iceman320

iceman320 Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia GeForce 6600GT agp card
    so I installed avg antivirus on one of my computers today to try and clean up some viruses and trojans. and the damn thing downloaded and installed xp police on it's own. and i don;t want xp police cause it's annoying and expensive. how can i uninstalle this and get rid of it? thanks for your help.

2. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
  3. iceman320

iceman320 Member Guru

GPU:
    I downloaded the file but my other computer won;t install it. it just give me a message that says that the program is not a valid win 32 file. and it won't even open it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  4. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Just so we are clear here....I posted that link because the article shed light on your problem.I am not familiar with the software on that page, and I can't recommend you download it.

If I contracted it I would do a full system scan using my antivirus,and repeat with an antispyware program.I'm partial to "Superantispyware"
    http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html
    I use the pro version but I understand the free version works great too.
    If these two steps didn't work,I'd do a system restore to before the problem started-you will still have the infected file, but the auto loader may be disabled-repeat your scans.
    If still no luck, search for a removal tool but be careful.many "fixes" can be as bad as the problem.

I've always had good luck in not getting infected in the first place, so my removal method if far from fool proof.Hopefully Guru's with more experience will offer more input.Good luck.

5. iceman320

iceman320 Member Guru

GPU:
    ok thanks for the help, I would have just reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled everything but, I didn;t want to lose all the stuff in my itunes program, and also I can't find the sticker that came with my copy of windows xp that has the product key on it. so I guess I lost it. which sucks.

6. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Supposed to put that on the side of your PC...

7. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    You likely got redirected when you searched for AVG. XP Police Antivirus is a rogue anti-spyware. AVG do not install it that's for sure. You sadly just installed more malware on the system trying to clean it.

As your willing to reinstall, i would suggest you backup your stuff and reinstall. After you have reinstalled XP, install an anti-virus and scan the files you backed up before you transfer them back.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=itunes+backup
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kb.../Miscellaneous/BackupRestoreXPActivation.html

---

If you still want to try and clean the system, follow the Malware cleaning guides. After your done with the guide post a HijackThis log.

If you need help with any of the steps in the guide let me know, but do not skip it you must do what it says. I strongly suggest you install Firefox and do the first network step in the long version as you may not be able to reach the software you need if you don't clean up a few network things first, and don't use IE it is likely infected with BHO's which can do redirects. The best is if you can use another system to download the software and then put it on a CD and install on your system using the CD. You can use a USB stick but there is a good chance you will infect the USB stick when you plug it back into your system, which is why burning a CD is much better.