Need help with tight budget pc

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sneakpeek, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Sneakpeek

Sneakpeek New Member

GPU:
    ?
    Lets cut straight to business. My budget is about 1300 USD. However, that includes a new monitor, headset, mouse and keyboard. The whole package. I don't need help picking out those though, because that really comes down to personal preference.

What I do need help with, is building a PC that can handle todays games well, and still have a few bucks left for the monitor etc. And by handle, I mean playing at medium to high graphics smoothly. To give a reference point, the most hardware challenging game I plan on playing any time soon is BF3. If I can play BF3 on medium to high settings smoothly, I'm happy.

Some guidelines:

1) I do not plan on overclocking. No need to take into consideration if a part can easily be overclocked or not.
    2) That also means no need for expensive cooling.
    3) I feel that a sound card is uneccessary. Im not a very audiophile person. If you disagree and really think I should get one, then say so.
    4) Avoid anything that costs more because it has extra features that doesn't really make the PC perform better. Examples that comes to mind are modular power supplies, cases with glass windows and neon lights etc.
    5) Getting a SSD is ok if it can be squeezed into the budget.

Thanks in advance. I havn't built a PC in 4 years and I'm very much looking forward to it.

2. Anaksulnamun

Anaksulnamun Member

GPU:
    Onboard 64Mb
    Just choose from newegg (for the cheapest price)... here is some general recommendations:
    For example, here is my recommendation: z68 + core i5 2300 sandy bridge + ATI
    1. Why z68, why core i5 2300? $110 + $180
    Z68 chipset is obvious, since this is currently the best and the most affordable chipset for mainboard now... (ASrock is good, and reasonable )
    Sandy bridge? No doubt about this. Why core i5 2300? The cheapest among those i5 ... (it wont gain you a 5fps gain if ya using i5-2400 (3.3ghz vs 3.1ghz) - so, save yourself $10 on the CPU)
    2. ATI 6950 1GB $240
    Well, look at this VGA chart on Guru3d, this buddy has 10% more horse power than 560TI, and you only need to spend $20 more...
    Do not bother to consider buying a 2GB version, since our tests show that they have the same performance...
    3. A mouse, it a must-have for FPS game $50
    When I use the machine gun, I choose a low DPI (400dpi) for running and quick navigation, but when it is the time for aiming on my sniper gun, I will change to high DPI (1600dpi) so that I can aim precisely and ...headshot those bad-as*
    Just a entry level lase mouse with dpi switching is good my friend, and ya wont need more than 1600pdi, so just grab a Razer
    For keyboard - Just a normal MSI $10 keyboard is enough, ~ ;)
    4. Case - choose on mid-tower case, it okay, ... ~$80
    5. Soundcard - just choose a asus xonar card, it's good, otherwise, a Creative card is good too ~$50
    Well, hmm, I wont dive in speakers, since it will be personal choice, but ya just need a good 5.1 system (BTW, dont fall for the ...high power trick, because when ya use 100W - ya neighbor will sue ya for sure )
    6. PSU: a 500 - 650W PSU will do the job fine (and as xbitlabs shows that, for one VGA card solution - ya total power consumption will never go past 250W)

And the rest is the monitor, chose a DELL Ultrasharp U2310H (full HD, IPS panel and ... trust me, the moment ya have a glance at this one, ya sure will love this)
    Well ... I think this is enough ~

3. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    ^ I don't usually recommend 1600GHz RAM, it's a bit on the expensive side, being classified experimental technology and all. 1600MHz should be fine

For your budget and purposes I second that build quoted by Anaksulnamun. Extremely good value for money for a midrange setup. Just swap the CPU to an i5-2400 and use the boxed cooler. Given that you need to add all the peripherals as well as Windows (I assume), I doubt you can fit an SSD into the build.

I do disagree. The Asus Xonar DG is a steal, and even a senile half deaf person would instantly notice the difference between Dolby Headphone and no Dolby Headphone ;). You'll love it (at least I do)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500

5. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    i think you've got the DPI settings the wrong way around. 1600dpi means your mouse moves faster across the screen than 400dpi for the same movement distance on your mousemat. ie. say if your move your mouse 1inch on your mat, at 400dpi your mouse will move one inch across the screen. if you crank up the dpi to 1600dpi, moving your mouse 1inch on mat will now move your mouse 4 inches across the screen.

if you go into sniper mode and then crank up the dpi to 1600dpi, it will be slightly harder to aim since the mouse will respond more to the same amount of movements. for more accuracy with sniper rifles, you want to drop the dpi setting in most cases.

6. Anaksulnamun

Anaksulnamun Member

GPU:
    Onboard 64Mb
    Hmm, @Server, I second ya idea ... 400dpi is slower ...
    BTW, it's almost 6 months past since I last played Crysis :D, I just love strategy games so I set my mouse dpi at 800dpi, that's good for me~

7. Sneakpeek

Sneakpeek New Member

GPU:
    ?
    Thanks for the help guys.
    Here is what I have put together so far.

This sums up to about 1200 USD.
    A little bit over my budget, considering that would only leave me 100 USD for the monitor, headset, keyboard and mouse.
    I can go a bit over my budget if neccessary. Rather invest in good quality parts than to be cheap and regret it later.

Not so sure about the case, its one of the more expensive cases but I've seen it recommended so many places. Any good cheaper alterantives?
    Also I know very little about SSD's. Not sure if the one I picked is good or not. Same goes for the power supply. Is that a good power supply, and is 750W enough?

What do you guys think?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Looks OK so far, the 750W Corsair PSU is a good choice, although I think you'll need a better gfx card to run BF3 at high settings, a GTX 570 or 6950/70 2GB.
    1Gb isn't really enough vram, games use more all the time and with 2Gb your card will a little more future proofed.
    Should last you at least a couple of years. :)

Here's a couple of benchmark results, remember this is a beta and the release may run better, but it should give you a good idea...

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Drop the ssd if you want to save cash for the monitor; it's not a necessity for a high performing pc and can be purchased later. Drop the 560 ti, you'll regret buying it later as new games come out, this includes battlefield 3, opt for a HD 6950 2gb or from nvida atleast a gtx 570.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I also agree about the SSD... def not a necessity, more like a luxury - and not suited for people on a tight budget. :)

11. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Total savings -$190. Now you can stay within budget even with peripherals, or enjoy better peripherals

12. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Not sure how they did their benchmarking, but my AMD Radeon HD 6870 can easily power 1680x1050 at high at a fluid 60 fps (min at 49 fps).

deltatux

13. Sneakpeek

Sneakpeek New Member

GPU:
    ?
    Im not ordering from newegg (I'm from norway), so:
    - Asrock Z68 Pro3 is not in stock
    - Intel 2500 non-K would only save 6 USD
    - Switched RAM to the CL9 version
    - None of the mentioned power supplies is in stock
    - Removed SSD
    - Switched case

This costs about 1000 USD.
    Starting to look good now?

14. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Much better.

Stick with the 2500k; definately worth it, motherboard is fine as is, good move on the ram, try to find the 'g.skill ripjawsX 2x 4GB 1600MHz cl9 1.5v' if you can as they are the most compatible and highest price/performance sticks going.

Try to find the 'Sapphire toxic hd 6950 2gb' if you can, shouldn't cost much more than the dirt 3 edition, otherwise it's fine, the tx 750w is a very capable psu already, always better to have a higher than minimum required psu and it will serve you well in the long run, the case is pretty good for the budget and will serve you well.

Overall looking very good.