Need help with resolution setup for 720p TV gaming, not n00b, please help.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Ballbearing, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Ballbearing

Ballbearing Member

GPU:
    2x 9800GT
    Hello there, as i know people are busy these days I will keep this short

7900gtx SLI ---> DVI to HDMI adaptor ----> HDMI to 720p TV

made a custom resolution in nvidia control panel to run tv at 1360*768 @ 60hz

job done

however, if i try to play a game at 1360*768 the game will play at 30hz, which is what nvidia has as the default setting for my monitor, this results in it not working and a blank screen.

so my question is, can i delete from .inf level the setup regarding what resolutions/xxHZ the monitor will run at, so when a game fires up it will only run at 1360*768 @ 60hz (my custom made resolution)

or are these settings down to the game engine?

please help because i have to play at 1280*720 and that results in a black bar down the side of the monitor, which is annoying.
    :)

2. Ballbearing

Ballbearing Member

GPU:
    2x 9800GT
    It would seem that upon loading some games, the game is aware of what resolutions my monitor can run, but it can't see anyof my custom resolutions, if i could somehow get games to see that i have made a resolution profile for 1360*768 @ 60hz then my problem would be solved

3. Ballbearing

Ballbearing Member

GPU:
    2x 9800GT
    tried using riva tuner.. think my solution lies there, but need to figure it out...

4. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but trying to display a resolution HIGHER than what your monitor is capable of is not going to work.
    768 is higher than 720. Anyway, to correct the 'black bars' problem, you can fix that using the nvidia control panel using the 'resize HDTV desktop' option.
    Make sure you have the 'advanced settings' enabled.

6. nathanstaples89

nathanstaples89 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7850 2GB
    I have the same setup only with an 8800 GTS but I found that going into windows display properties and having it show all "un-supported" resolutions ended up solving my problems with the latest drivers (I've been fighting this for quite a while).

So:
    Display Settings, Advanced Settings, under the 'monitor' tab uncheck the box that says 'hide modes that this monitor cannot display' .. then go and set 1360x768 and it should work fine.. don't even need to make custom res... for some reason windows just doesn't automatically detect the true native res of my 720p tv (1360x768) .. possibly due to the DVI --> HDMI cable? who knows.. hope this helps.

Most 720p displays tend to have a true native resolution of 1360x768

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  7. jetfx

jetfx Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 670GTX DCIITOP 2G
    well i hope this help you. it will sound non logical but it worked 4 me.

lets use by example that your using HDTV hdmi1 to connect your computer.

send the signal to the HDTV.

in your HDTV options menu (i mean in your hdtv not nvida control panel) search
    for an option called labeling (label) you should be able to pick diferent names for your hdmi1 port search for the one called PC or similiar.

set it up, and then go to nvidia control panel and find the "SET NATIVE RESOLUTION" it should show 1360*768 hit apply and thats all,.

i have no idea whats with the label thingy but i worked for me lol.
    by default ur HDTV will set the port label to DVD or similar. and block the hz to30.

8. nathanstaples89

nathanstaples89 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7850 2GB
    Mine's a ViewSonic and doesn't even have that option unfortunately.. but I have heard about it.

9. Ballbearing

Ballbearing Member

GPU:
    2x 9800GT
    I appreciate the replies, but you've missed the point i fear.

I have correctly set vista to run the HDTV @ 1360*768 at my custom frequency of 60Hz (set in the nvidia cp)

however, when i try to play any games, they dont know about this resolution, and only offer me 1360*768@29 or 30Hz which are the default nvidia settings for that monitor.. I want games to be able to use my custom resolution, which they can't.

good idea, but not possible on my monitor :(

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  10. }{Alienz}{

}{Alienz}{ Member Guru

GPU:
    8800GT 725/1800/1950
    Use Riva Tuner custom refresh rate overider.

I use it with my monitor in games detecting and switching to the wrong refresh rate.
    Just input the custom resolution it runs at and say when it tries running at 30Hz, correct to 60Hz. Leave Riva Tuner open and test it. 99% guarantee it works.

Next put it to start on boot without starting the whole Riva Tuner and ur set.

11. Ballbearing

Ballbearing Member

GPU:
    2x 9800GT
    yeah, i tried that but last time i f**ked it up.. will head to rivatuner forums and get a step by step guide.