Need help with picking plasma TV

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by signex, Aug 31, 2012.

1. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    I need a budget TV for my new Xbox360, i have my eyes on 2 TV's.

These two are the cheapest in my country:

LG 42PA4500
    Samsung PS43E450

My choice would be the samsung, but im really not sure :(

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  2. Mozaik

Mozaik Banned

GPU:
    Giga gtx 470@800
    If you can watch out for Panasonic models also,they produce pretty robust plasmas,I have a 50" Panasonic and it is great in terms of PQ.

3. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    I can get one second hand for 300, Panasonic Viera 42" Plasma TH-42PV70FA.

But i think ill go with the samsung tv, its new on the market and has this new tech Real Black HD for much better black levels.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  4. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX1080 Ti
    The Panasonic neo plasmas are the best you can get. I've got the TX-P65ST50B and the picture is simply phenomenal.

They do a 42" version too.

5. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Master Guru

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    I own a Dell W4200HD 7 year old Plasma that uses Samsung innards. The TV has be great with no issues and the color/picture quality has be superb. I along with my kids would play countless hours of Xbox/Xbox360/PS3 on this unit with zero burn-in.

So I would say based on my experience with this unit I would go for another Samsung if I had to replace this one.

As with any Plasma proper calibration seems to be key with longevity of the unit and visual aesthetics.

6. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    I've always had samsung screens.

I think i will be dissapointed with a Panasonic plasma.

They might be good and all, but my feelings say samsung xD

7. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX1080 Ti
    I like Samsung too, but there is no denying that the current (top end) Panasonic Plasma's are in a different league to (current) Samsung kit when it comes to image quality.

This could change in the future of course.

I had a Samsung 55" Series 9 LED TV, which Trustedreviews.com said was "The single most dynamic picture they had ever seen on a HDTV"

Cost me £2700 and was an amazing picture, i honestly didn't think it was possible for a picture to be any better. Three years later i bought the panasonic mentioned above and it absolutely wiped the floor with it. It actually made the Samsung look like a budget TV!

8. blitze

blitze Member Guru

GPU:
    Power Color 4870 1GB PCS+
    Have a Viera 50" Panasonic and it is great. Run it of desktop or laptop via HDMI for watching TV and BlueRay.

They are the top of the line for Plasma acquiring a lot of Pioneer tech when Pioneer dropped out of producing plasma screens. Also survived a ship from Australia to Finland without any issues aside from the different TV systems requiring a digibox for Finland (Paid TV licensing stuff).

9. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    This makes no sense. Panasonics are the leaders in Plasma tech. Gut feeling and emotions don't come into it.

It's like me saying:

I've driven Mitsubishis all my life.

I think I will be disappointed with a Ferrari.

They might be good and all but my gut feelings say Mitsubishi.

10. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    LG gets my vote.... I used to have a Samsung monitor and a Sony TV, i now have an LG monitor and a LG 50" plasma..... and at the price point, both are faultless imho

11. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX1080 Ti
    Sorry but LG are nowhere near the same league as Panasonic for plasma TVs, anyone who says otherwise is seriously misinformed or deluded. They suffer from awful screen burn too. You don't get that on the panasonics.

My friend has a 50" LG plasma and he gets screen burn after 2 mins on his main PS3 menu. You can still see the burn 25 minutes later after you've put a movie on.

12. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    My budget got bigger, im returning the TV.

These are my options:

Panasonic TX-L37E5E
    Samsung UE-40ES5500
    Philips 42PFL3507H/12
    LG 42LS5600
    LG 42LM3400

They are all LED, they dont have other plasma TV's in my price range@full HD.

It has to be one of these, cause i have to get them from same store.

13. Mozaik

Mozaik Banned

GPU:
    Giga gtx 470@800
    Wait a bit and get more funds if you can and go for a 50" Panasonic plasma,this is the best advice I can give you,you will not regret it.

14. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX1080 Ti
    For similar money, anyone would be crackers to choose LG over Panasonic where plasma TVs are concerned.

15. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    He's right and Panasonic makes the best plasma TV, period. Then again, (without having read all of this thread), why someone would want a plasma television in this day and age is beyond me.

16. dutchguy

dutchguy New Member

GPU:
    nvidia
    can anybody say what is better like for the first 2 choices he had
    LG 42PA4500
    Samsung PS43E450
    And please dont give me alternatives these are my only choices

17. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX1080 Ti
    Yeah they are power hungry, but they do produce a better picture than LCD - better blacks, better whites and a better response time too

18. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    vs LCD they have these benefits sure, but they don't last as long. What about LED? That is the newer technology

19. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX1080 Ti
    No screen burn any more due to active pixels. The gas lasts at least ten years too. Much better than LED / LCD

I had the Samsung series 9 55" LED which trustedreviews.com said was the single most dynamic picture they had ever seen. The Panasonic plasma made the Samsung look like a budget LG

20. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    plasmas last longer than an LED or LCD?? I don't know where you're getting your facts from because thats waaay off base lol. Sorry, but that is just plain wrong. Also, plasmas fade over time, so near the end of their life they become more dim due to gas depletion, not to mention, they are energy hogs and weigh a ton. You're right on the burn in though, newer plasmas don't get that.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012