need help with new cpu, please

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by noiradle, Dec 23, 2008.

1. noiradle

noiradle Member

GPU:
    xfx gtx 260/216 black ed.
    hey. i just got an e8500 today, replacing my e6600. having some problems getting it to work and i'm wondering if anyone can help me identify the problem.

upon trying to boot with the e8500 in, i get no display on my monitor (looking for signal constantly) with no post beep to be heard. the computer starts up normally at first sight, all the fans spin (along with the hsf) and everything seems powered up. i'm running an asus p5n-e sli motherboard which i've read works fine with the chip. i have the latest bios revision also. it's the e0 stepping version if that matters.

i'm about 99% positive that: i installed it correctly, the rest of my hardware is working fine and supports the e8500, everything was plugged in and in otherwise working order.

i went ahead and put my e6600 back in which i'm running on right now just fine. no problems at all with it. so, what could the problem be? could the cpu just be a dead on arrival? i ordered it from newegg so replacing it won't be too difficult.

thanks guys

2. contrvlr

contrvlr Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX570HD
    Did you update to the latest bios ?

3. noiradle

noiradle Member

GPU:
    yep, very latest bios version. 1301 i believe.

4. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    well DOA could be very likey

5. GamingTillDie

GamingTillDie Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC
    i dont think its your CPU. Could be PSU-related or MB. Try a different PSU brand or do you have a friend where you can test your e8500? but as i said, i dont think its a damaged CPU.

6. noiradle

noiradle Member

GPU:
    not sure why it'd be either of those since they both work fine with my e6600. and no nowhere else to test it unfortunately.

7. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    GamingTillDie could be right, I dont know how many Amps you have across your 12v Rails, but you running a GTX260 which requires a lot of juice!

Could be that your E8500 is just tipping you over what your 500w can manage.

As for your mobo i would say thats ok, as im running the same mobo.

EDIT

Is this your PSU?

8. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    .....ok sorry if u guys had for gotten the e8500 uses less power than the e6600 lol

so new psu = heap of bull

9. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Oops how the hell did i forget that lol

Have to agree with kylzer sounds like a DOA

10. noiradle

noiradle Member

GPU:
    thanks for the replies guys. believe it or not, i seem to have fixed it. i had it all packaged up to be shipped back to newegg when i felt like trying again. i downgraded my bios from 1301 to 1201 and did everything as normal and bam, post beeped and all seems well. it did act a little funny (one long beep and three short beeps) at one point while trying to boot but i super nintendo'd it (banged on stuff) and it started working again. hah.

unfortunately my sensors seem broken, according to realtemp test. on core temp i sit idle at 41c and 42c on my two cores and it doesn't change for anything, even if i stop the fan with my finger. i know i'm not running that hot idle. in full load it budges, but what's odd is i haven't went over 51c with prime95 and average around 45. i'm not sure if my full load temps are right and my idle is wrong or if both are wrong or what. kind of scared to overclock with bad sensors. oh well... not worth rmaing for i guess.

almost, but i have a ea500d version with higher rails.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008

11. acebmxer

acebmxer Member Guru

GPU:
    xFx ATI 5850 760/1113
    sorry if this sounds like a dumb reply but did you reset your bios settings back to default before you removed old cpu and stick new one in? Could be a conflicting setting in bios for the new cpu. Sorta like a bad O.C. or try clearing it with the jumper.

12. noiradle

noiradle Member

GPU:
    uber late reply but, yeah. i reset them before changing the cpu and also hit the jumper at one point while going through my bag of things to try.

i figured out the "problem", or well, a way to avoid the problem, whatever it is. if the cpu is removed and then put back in, i'll no longer be able to post or get a monitor display. but if i remove my gpu, turn my computer on, turn it off, put gpu back, everything works fine. and that's what i'm doing now. although its been working flawlessly since i did that and assuming it stays working i shouldn't have to do it very often/ever with this cpu, it's kind of worrying. what could cause that?

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    faulty motherboard or flawed bios (not corrupt, just simply not perfect) would cause that...

14. noiradle

noiradle Member

GPU:
    well, hoping it's nothing too bad, just some misplaced digit here or there that makes the monkeys not hit the right pedals. guess i'll find out if it stays working... D: