1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with memory and ryzen

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by patteSatan, Sep 8, 2018.

1. patteSatan

patteSatan Member

GPU:
    xfx 7950GT
    I'm a little puzzled, my memory is http://oi68.tinypic.com/2lx8o4z.jpg

It's samsung b-die, with too high xmp profile (3466), and my mobo is asus prime b-350 plus, cpu is ryzen 5 1600x...

And I cant get it to be higher than the 2400 setting, tried different bioses...

Anyone who might know what the problem is?

Oh, and the psu is an old 850w coolermaster

2. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080i SC2
    So .. I'm assuming 2 x 8 GB ?
    1) Have you inserted the ram into DIMM A2 + B2 ?
    2) Try inserting the numbers manually instead of using XMP.
    3) Start with 3200 MHz .. your image is cut off so I can't tell the timings for 3200 MHz and then use 1.35v for the ram
    4) You can alternately try to use the DRAM calculator to find the optimal timings
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/r...-3-1-release-overclocking-dram-on-am4.422224/

3. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080i SC2
    I'm using the optimized settings below for my Flare-X ram ( samsung b-die)
    On first boot after installing them I used the Default settings.
    They can also do 3466 MHz, but the difference is marginal and 3200 MHz just feels like the sweet spot.

Default settings :
    14-14-14-14-34-48 everything else is on auto. Manually selected 3200 MHz under Memory Frequency. (Not using D.O.C.P profile) with 1.35v DRAM voltage
    (CAS - RAS Read Delay - RAS Write Delay - RAS Pre time and Trc)

Optimized settings :
    14-13-13-13-28-42-6-9-36-4-12-10-Auto(0)-2-2-256-Auto(192)-Auto(132)-14-8-Auto(8+7)-3-1-7-7-1-5-5-9
    Using 1.4V DRAM voltage and DRAM VBOOT voltage also at 1.4v
    ProcODT : Auto
    Cmd2T : 1T
    Gear Down : Disabled
    Everything else on Auto

4. patteSatan

patteSatan Member

GPU:
    xfx 7950GT
    Sorry to say its only 1 stick........

5. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080i SC2
    I just checked the manual for your board and for 1 stick the recommended DIMM is A2.
    But you should be able to hit 2933 MHz at least.

6. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080i SC2
    If I check the memory QVL list for your board the highest rated Crucial ram is 2666 MHz (able to run 2666 MHz), nothing higher.

7. patteSatan

patteSatan Member

GPU:
    xfx 7950GT
    I know that the ram isnt on the qvl list, but I thought "what the heck, samsung b-die at a low price", and as I didnt know the limits for RAM I just bought it, could have bought a g.skill 3200 16 cas memory for about the same...BUT, thats not the point, the point is, is this a stupid RAM, and yes, it is, and could it work better with a modded bios?

8. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080i SC2
    No not really. I started out with an 1800x on an Asus Prime PRO 370x with 2 x 16 GB ram - samsung b-die. I never got them above 2933 MHz.
    Modded bios or not. But they did run very well on 2933 MHz. With procODT 60 and some other tweaks.
    You should try the RAM calculator and pay special attention to : procODT, RTT_NOM, RTT_WR and RTT_PARK.
    These values are key to getting the ram stable at higher clocks. Also pay attention to the CAD_BUS Block settings they are also important.

9. patteSatan

patteSatan Member

GPU:
    xfx 7950GT
    There was a new bios today, or yesterday, now the memorystick actually works in 3200, and with the loose settings of xmp 3466
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080i SC2
    Great. But is it stable ?

11. patteSatan

patteSatan Member

GPU:
    xfx 7950GT
    Not really, I think I have to change the "powerdown" or "geardown", the cpu/mobo/memory doesent get hot, but it works for around 2 hours, then when I read something after a playsession, I get a lockup, and have to hardreset the computer, unplug the powercord, and wait 15 seconds, then plug in again, and it works for 2 hours again.

Still, it is better than before, will take an usb stick to a friend tomorrow and print out the values I got from using the ryzen dram calculator, and actually put in all the values that shows up.

I guessed as much these samsung b-die isnt the best, so going just for a "better safe than sorry" setting.

12. patteSatan

patteSatan Member

GPU:
    xfx 7950GT
    Before I forget, thank you for the insights, and the tips, @Webhiker I really appreciate it, I will write maybe tomorrow how it went :)

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    Hard lockup with screen frozen (visible) at last thing you had there => CPU.
    Memory settings cause BSODs.

If that's CPU, you experience simple thing. At regular use and low temperature system is stable. But then you heat it up and electrical properties change a bit. And when CPU transitions from High clock, high voltage state to idle state voltage is not sufficient. In most cases, you do not need to have long gaming session, Cinebench R15 is enough. (Just tun it 5~8 times).

14. patteSatan

patteSatan Member

GPU:
    xfx 7950GT
    I havent touched the cpu for overclocking, and I actually dont need it, even if I have tried before, on old cpu's....
    And, I actually ran cinebench 15 4-5 times after the new biosupgrade, workt like a charm, I'm not, as I said, overclocking the cpu, just want to find the sweetspot for my 8GB stick, I get a little above 1100 in cpu test, have to reset all settings on my gfxcard to run the opengltest, wich is strange, I know my gfx isnt, and never been the good part to buy, but as with the memory, I got a deal on this r9 380 asus 4g oc card, that I never overclock, only thing I do with that one, is making fans go at 75% speed

And, as an old guy, I know you cant install all the asus crap nowadays, so I only use amd stuff.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  15. patteSatan

patteSatan Member

GPU:
    xfx 7950GT
    Between 1100 and 1200 in cinebench 15, multithreading test, dont know if its bad or good, but it works, had to lower the speed (MHz) on the ram though, to make the computer stable, I run the mem at 2933, sadly with the xmp timings, but, as I said, will test with ryzen dram calc.

16. patteSatan

patteSatan Member

GPU:
    xfx 7950GT
    I know how electronics works, I have gone to school for that, and the comp is okay, for temps, and even the Ampere and Voltage from the PSU is good, I guess I have to wait for the new AGESA, I will try the hard way today, saving ryzen dram calc settings, and print it out, to set all settings according to what the program lists.

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    If you have HWiNFO64, check its bottom part for HW errors. Maybe little red L1 line after some hours there...

18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Make sure to check for memory errors.

Run HCImemtest until it hits 300%

19. patteSatan

patteSatan Member

GPU:
    xfx 7950GT
    I wont let crap like that crash my pc again, hwinfo is a shitty piece of software.

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    OK, Good Luck then. If starting HWiNFO64 crashes your system. It is time to rethink your strategy and move from custom build systems and OC to prebuilt from shop.