1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with IDE configuration for DVD+DVDRW and HDD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ralph, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Ralph

Ralph Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX960 FTW 4GB
    Alright, I currently have a 120GB IDE HDD, and a DVD+RW device that also uses IDE cable. So, my question is since I am getting a new machine fairly soon: Most of the new motherboards on the market only have 1 PATA connection on them, would I be able to connect both my DVD drive and HDD with something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812104207 ?

2. daveid

daveid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600GTS + 7300GT DDR3 / 7600GS
    yes, be sure to set your hard drive to master & your dvd drive to slave (using the jumpers on the drives). You could leave them as cable select (the default), however you then have to ensure that the cable is connected to your drives in a certain order (it's been so long I forget - but I believe the first connector is the primary - makes sense at least).

3. Ralph

Ralph Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX960 FTW 4GB
    But err.. I want my 10,000 RPM SATA HDD to be master :p

4. MountainLynx

MountainLynx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570M 3GB
    If you mean booting from the SATA HDD, you just need to set that to boot first (or at least out of the HDDs, since I tend to leave my optical as the first boot device :p) in the BIOS. Anything on the SATA controller is not affected by anything on the IDE controller unless you allow it to be.

5. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280 SSC|24" Dell
    Yea that cable would work for your 2 IDE's. Make sure you get the right length.

But Id also have to recommend you buying SATA drives. IDE is living in the past. Like 5 years ago past.