Need help with HPET

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Tin1017, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Tin1017

Tin1017 New Member

GPU:
    3060ti Phoenix gs
    Hello everyone, I am having an issue regarding HPET and Valorant. If i force it ON in cmd Valorant will run at 200-250 fps with drops to/ and below 10. If i force it off, Valorant then runs at 600-700 fps in base, never drops below 350 in fights. Mouse movement is sharper, input lag is noticeably lower but the game seems abit out of sync(hpet off).
    Random prefires, dieing behind cover etc only occur with hpet disabled.
    Obviously having hpet ON is out of the question for me but is it okay to have HPET forced off in CMD when it is Enabled in Bios? I am running a ryzen 5600X on a B550M mortar wifi mobo and I don’t have the HPET option in BIOS, my only concern is that i don’t have the option to disable it. Would like to know if having it ON in BIOS/ OFF in OS can be the reason for my game to feel out of sync? Should I just keep it on and learn how to play with high input lag? Can my BIOS get modded and HPET disabled?
    Im lost and would really appreciate your help. I’ve also tried contacting MSI but they refused to help me. I don’t mind paying if nobody wants to do it for free.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  2. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Don't force disable/enable HPET on OS (via BCD) or BIOS. On modern CPUs (post Vista-era) an internal tick clock is used. HPET is used for high precision timers on devices to talk with south bridge. HPET should be used only on old CPUs with dynamic clock but without a reliable internal tick timer (otherwise they should use the crap ACPI timer). On even older CPUs with fixed clock the internal tick is also used. Keep it enable on BIOS and reset BCD settings on OS (an than restart the system).

Smough likes this.
  3. Tin1017

Tin1017 New Member

GPU:
    3060ti Phoenix gs
    HPET is already enabled in my Mobo and I kept it default in OS. But im having better performance with /set useplatformclock false. If i want to keep it disabled in OS do I also need to disable it in BIOS?

4. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    No, you don't need. Leave the SB chipset use it when it needs. Also the OS will not use HPET as system timer unless you forced it.

Tin1017 likes this.

5. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    and what do you think about this

fake o real this results? on any cpu would the same result turn the hpet on or off?
    [​IMG]

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    @maur0

If Alessio1989 was MS or Intel or AMD engineer I would wait for his opinion with bated breath ...

SatsuiNoHado likes this.
  7. Tin1017

Tin1017 New Member

GPU:
    3060ti Phoenix gs
    I don't know what to think about HPET. I ended up doing as alessio said. Deleted every command in cmd and kept it "default".
    The only thing I don't understand is how do I get 200 FPS with HPET Enabled and 600 with hpet disabled? Thats a 400 fps difference.

8. Tin1017

Tin1017 New Member

GPU:
    3060ti Phoenix gs
    Im playing fps on a high competitive level ( fpl-c in cs:go, radiant in valorant) and this problem is killing me. Having hpet forced on (useplatformclock true) makes my game stutter, mouse movement is alot worse but enemies seem easier to hit, hpet off makes the game feel like its out of sync, mouse movement is sharp, enemies however have retarded movement and are harder to kill. Makes no sense how r5 5600x+3060ti with b550m mortar wifi mobo and 3600 ram can give me 150-200 fps with hpet on.

9. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    tried that?
    http://n1kobg.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_23.html

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    wow some true old tweaks there, including the nagle tweak, which does help mutliplayer games providing it works

11. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    will they still work on win10 20h2?

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Nagle tweak to truly work it has to be enable on both side. your pc and server you connecting to with out both side it only partial helps which on your end it helps but not theres. atlest from my understanding, But likes said it never worked for me in win7 which when I stoped using it.

I use to live by naggle tweak when I play Ragnarok Online, without it the game skipped alot and and have 100ms vs 50ms ping when it worked and it worked great on Win XP, but when I switched to Win7 the tweak stopped working in the game and started skipping and my ping was high again was never able to get Naggle to work again, and by time I switch to win10 I had long since stopped playing RO.

Naggle did help Ping wise in other mutliplayer games and rubber banding effect this was back when I had like DSL and 100ms ping it would drop that ping to 50ms in multiplayer games, back on winxp, in win 7 it never had that effect. I now have cable that is 20-30ms and seeing I could never get nagle to work in win7 i stop using. But back when it stop working for me in win 7 there was all kinds of reports where it worked to reduce ping and made multiplayer game more enjoyable for some people and other people it had no effect i was never able to get to work on 3 pc i had using win7 at the time though.

I honestly have no idea if it works with Win10 if does it might be one those Works for some people and not for others.

As for HPET IMO leave it alone it in general enable in bios by default or atlest has been for all my mb and "supported" by windows and used when "needed" forcing it on/off can have adverse effects as you seen.

Just my opinions and how I seen Naggle tweak work and what Hpet does

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nagle is a client feature, it has nothing to do with server side anything, it turns off TCP ACK and most games now include it by default.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    back then most games didnt, like this was all from my experience, But like said since Win7 it been hit or miss works for some not others. Nagle work on most mutlplayer games if not all of them in with XP but soon as I moved to Win 7 Those same game it worked it no longer did, and I know I wasnt the only one that reported that back then cause I reading on mutliple forums back then it work one person but not another

I use to use this back in the day
    https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/261323/leatrix-latency-fix-download-it
    But like said in Win7 these tweak stoped working in game it worked in on XP,

15. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/sysinfo/acquiring-high-resolution-time-stamps

HPET si not used a system timer in Windows after Vista on all modern CPUs. HPET is used by the south bridge and it's connected devices when a high prevision timer is needed, otherwise ACPI is used.

Just because a video, which is not an engineering nor a computer science proof, show that some particular application behaves far from having noise performance results due HPET option it does not proved the Microsoft engineers and programmers that know how to deal with timers in a real time application are wrong, instead there can be three reasons:
    - the recorded fuçked with Windows settings
    - the application developers are retard monkeys and made a direct query to the user mode HPET driver instead of using the low overhead high precision and high accuracy timer provided by the operating system (ei: using QPF/QPC APIs in Windows)
    - the video card or any device involved (like a recording adapter device) are on a PCI-E slot not directly connected to the CPU and there is something wrong in the driver or an abuse of the timing APIs in the application.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  17. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    yes and since Windows 7 hpet is not the default timer for modern CPUs.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it was never the default.

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    You have to negotiate about the term "timer".

HPET was never used for system "tick" timer.
    But HPET was used as default implementation of QueryPerformanceFrequency/QueryPerformanceCounter when TSC was compromised by P-states (and C-states?).

Alessio1989 likes this.
  20. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    The default setting is akin to "available" rather than enabled, it is used when apps specifically request it otherwise cheaper timers are used, setting it to on via bcdedit forces it to be used on everything (hence slowdown) and off forces it to not available, so keep at default.