need help with dell computer

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by iceman320, Apr 17, 2009.

1. iceman320

iceman320 Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia GeForce 6600GT agp card
    I have been trying to fix my bosses computer and it won;t boot up on it's own it always ask's you press f1 to continue or f2 to see the setup menu. and I wanted to know if anybody here would happen to know what's wrong with it and what I have to do to fix it so that it will boot on it's own. thanks in advance for your help.

2. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    There should be a setting in the BIOS to disable to "hit key to boot." It still boots right? Just you have to hit a key to do it? What motherboard does it have, or at least what BIOS is it using? There should be a setting in the BIOS menu (I forget what its called exactly) but you can switch it to "none" and then it won't need you to hit a key to finish the boot.

3. iceman320

iceman320 Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia GeForce 6600GT agp card
    yeah it still boots, it just asks you the hit f1 to continue.

4. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Usually I only bump into this issue if the floppy drive is either missing or stops working. To fix this issue, I usually remove it since I haven't even seen anyone using floppies since 2003.

deltatux

5. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    Yeah, my pc did that because I didn't have a floppy in, I never have. There should be a setting in the BIOS to set to none or off so it doesn't scan for a floppy. It should say like 1.44m/keyboard or something similar and just set it to off or none. Its what I did on here and I'm sure the Dell pc has some setting like that in its BIOS.

6. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    Most of the time there is a specific message to go with the f1 to continue to tell you what is wrong.

My first guess is that the rear case fan has an issue, that is a common cause of the F1. The problem is though that if it is certain models, then the fan does not have a standard connector so replacement requires some soldering or rewiring of the new fan.

7. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    This one of the million reasons I stay away from Dells.

deltatux

8. klmn248

klmn248 Banned

GPU: