Need help with ATI Driver/XP Conflict (Reboots)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by SleepyLab, Dec 7, 2003.

1. SleepyLab

SleepyLab Guest

Upgraded my VidCard from an Nvidia Force 4 to ATI 9800 PRO 128.

Card and Drivers installed Fine - following ATI's install procs - no errors and the card seems to work OK - until:

When the computer is restarted, The PC resets during the Windows XP startup - indicating a problem with a driver. I can only get into XP in safe mode.

I've tried ATI's drivers from Catalyst v3.7 up to the Beta 3.10's - no difference.

I'm 100% positive that the Nvidia Drivers were completely removed.

I've made sure that the Intel 845 Chipset drivers are current.

I've made sure that the BIOS firmware from Compaq is current.

I've used the 9800 card in other machines - it's ok.

I've tried an ATI 9200 - and it does the same thing - so it's obviuosly a conflict with the ATI driver and soemthing else in the machine - but what? No other PCI cards installed.

This EVO doesn't have much in CMOS for AGP settings (just Aperature size) so I can't see anything there to change. According to Compaq - its rated at 2x or 4x.

The only thing I can think of - is that the power supply (250W) is too small - but the card works fine in safe mode - until the reboot.

ATI Tech Support has tried valiantly to help - but have given up.

Anyone out there have any advice before I'm forced to return the card?

Thanks in advance.

SleepyLab

2. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor x1900xtx 675/783
    well I do know that a 250w PSU is way small for a 9800pro.. especially when its a OEM computer like Compaq.. The other computers you tried it on ..what wattage PSU was in them..?

Thunda

3. SleepyLab

SleepyLab Guest

The other machines were all Compaq EVO's with 250W PS

The only difference is that my PC has a 2nd HDD, a 60GB IDE.

The ATI Tech said that Power was probably not the problem, because the card works (in vga mode) and dies during the driver load.

Does the card pull more power in 3d Mode?

either way - it doesn't seem to be the issue - I was just grasping for ideas.

SleepyLab

4. Vxheous

Vxheous Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    yeah, it pulls a lot more power in 3d mode... 250W definately not enough, i'm surprised it ran on all the other 250W compaqs...when i bought this card, i went out and replaced my 300W with a 420W Vantec, just to be sure. I ran a GeForce 4 Ti b4 this current card.

5. racingx

racingx Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1660ti
    I am leaning towards a power problem also only because I had a similar problem with a geforce4 ti4600 were it would load fine in standard vga mode but as soon as I loaded the video card drivers windows xp would reboot upon loading the driver.

I cleared all that up by replacing my 350w psu with a Antec True Power 550w (I know a little overkill but hey) after that the problem has never occured again.

6. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor x1900xtx 675/783
    Just make sure that if you get a new PSU.. That its compatible with your Compaq and the case that its in.. A freind of mine had a Dell and bought a new ATX PSU and the plug was slightly different. Also he then had to buy a new case cuz the new\bigger PSU didnt fit in the OEM case..

Thunda