Need Help with AMD phenom ii x4 965

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Tim_Ca, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Tim_Ca

Tim_Ca Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800gtx
    I noticed the metal cap heatsink on

my cpu has some nicks on it. The best way to describe the size of these nicks.

Picture the smallest piece of dust still visible to the human eye. They are

about that size. When I run my finger nail lightly across the cpu metal cap heatsink I can feel the (nicks), (dents), (chips), lol whatever you wanna call them(There is about 6) of them.

I bought A corsair H50 for it to kinda make up for the extra heat i might

get(Again not sure thats why im asking lol) . What are the possible problems

that could come about because of the Metal cap nicks. To avoid confusion I am NOT talking about a cpu heatsink/fan you stink on your cpu after. I'm speaking about the metal cap glued over the cpu. Much thanks.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  2. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Just use your thermal paste to fill in the scratch.

deltatux

3. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    i dont see any problems arising from this. from a mechanical/physics point of view, i would generally see a scratched surface as more useful. reason being that a surface that has scratches/microgrooves will have a larger surface area in contact with the thermal compound, thus will transfer heat more efficiently.

we do this for piston tops inside engines and for the interior of intake manifolds. it improves atomisation, heat transfer, and hence maximises power produced.

so, i wouldnt be worried about a few nicks.

4. Tim_Ca

Tim_Ca Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800gtx
    There more like really small dents like if you were to take the tip of a pointy knife

and hit down on the metal cap.( I can run my finger nail over them and feel the small dents with my nail Is that still alright? Will it still be ok? I dont see

how this happened... perhaps to much wiping with alchohol or maybe when i

took off the heat sink.

5. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    could just be the design of the heatsink. i know my zalman cnps9900a and my current thermaltake spinq vt apply more pressure to the center of the cpu heat spreader.

just apply thermalpaste and mount the heatsink. then boot into the bios and check what the temps are at. if theyre above 60, then somethings wrong. otherwise, its all fine.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Could be fine, or could have been damaged in transit / storage

Up to you if you want to exchange it, or take a chance on it failing

7. Wisenos

Wisenos New Member

GPU:
    2*XFX 8800GT 650/1525/975
    or you could grab 1000-1200-1500-2000 (in this order) sand paper and wetsand it till you don't see/feel any scratches and then apply your thermal grease and mount

8. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I still stick to what I said and just fill the crack in with thermal grease, that's what they were designed to do, fill those imperfection holes.

deltatux

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Sever and Deltatux explained it perfectly... Some heatsinks are made to compress the center of the IHS to ensure maximum contact with the processor. When the heatsink is installed properly, the thermal compound is compressed and forced to fill in any imperfections.

and thus void the warranty on the chip if it's still valid....

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010