Need help with A/V receiver and home teather

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by x58haze, Sep 28, 2020.

1. x58haze

x58haze Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    Hello guys I wanted to know if this model of Bose is actually a AV/Receiver o what is it? I'm trying to help my neighbor, but i'm quite confused...

Is this an AV/RECEIVER? all i know the brand is bose: (but dunno the model)

[​IMG]

Also this big box or big case, seems to be a home theater or something, it has cables behind and like 4 speakers. so for this reason i though this is a home theater, and the device up is like an AV/Receiver?
    [​IMG]

I wanted to help my neighbor since her husband passed away, and her son is not in the country, and for pure empathy I wanted to help her to put everything back to work

She told me that her husband set up this system to a LED TV + Direct Tv + DVD + the home theater, also she was able to plug her iphone to reproduce her music, but then when her husband passed away 1 year later, she had some issues with her Direct Tv, and she asked for help to a man that he didn't has knowledge at all, he ended up connecting properly the direct tv but... disconnecting that bose stuff..

So my question if, is that first photo is an AV/Receiver does this mean that i can plug there A DVD+Direct Tv? how would be the connections ?

Also that big box should provided a cable to connect to either speaker 1 or speaker 2?
    Is my first time seeing an A/V receiver :/.

2. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Yes looks like AV/Reciever, and bottom looks like a kicker box, bass speaker but I'm not familiar with bose it may have more than just bass speaker in it. Models numbers and what they are would help, Sony ect. my AV is Kenwood VR-506 if you give this info I'm sure someone will pop in who does know or can go to Bose site and find out exactly what it is and if not to old maybe a download PDF of manual for it.

x58haze likes this.
  3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    My Dad has a Bose system with similar looking subwoofer box. The subwoofer box has 2 functions.

1) low level LFE feed as normal
    2) All speakers are fed at high level into the subwoofer from the speakers amplifier
    The sub takes bass and responds to it for all speakers but is self powered, it doesnt use power from the speakers amplifier.
    The speaker wires go from the sub box to the small speakers, probably with bass removed to prevent damage.
    Bass response is configured on the subwoofer box.

Whether yours uses the same method can be verified by checking if there are speaker in AND out connections for all speakers on the subwoofer box.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    x58haze likes this.
  4. x58haze

x58haze Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    Thank you guys for your kind answers, i remember I tried to grab a cable that day and connect via the speakers, but gonna take a look behind the kicker box to see what connection it has, to take pictures and so on, hoping to make properly all the connections

i will be updating this sooner, thanks