need help - upgraded drivers, now Direct3D doesn't work

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by YoYoYoda, Jun 25, 2008.

1. YoYoYoda

YoYoYoda New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 64Mb
    Hey everyone,

I have an older computer running Windows XP (w/sp2) and an NVIDIA "GeForce2 MX/MX 400" card. It's a Dell Dimension 8200 with the original video card. Prior to my upgrades, I had DirectX 9 and the original video card drivers from 2001 installed. Everything worked great.

Yesterday I upgraded the video card drivers. I used ForceWare Release 90 (v93.71) from the nVidia website. Everything appeared to install correctly. I installed the new drivers over the old. My device manager says I now have v6.14.10.9371 from 10/22/2006 installed. Like I said, before I had a version from 2001 that was v5.xx.xx.xxxx. My computer of course restarted after the driver upgrade.

So then my screen saver tries to kick in. I have a screen saver that uses the Direct3D drawing capabilities and I get the following error:

[​IMG]

UGH! I searched all through the various control panel, nvidia, and device manager options for some option I needed to toggle. I couldn't find anything. I've searched countless forums on how to fix this situation without having to reinstall windows and haven't found much. Can anyone help? None of the traditional Windows screen savers that use 3D work.

I then reinstalled DirectX. I now have DirectX 9.0c. I know I had v9 before, but I'm not sure if it was 9.0c. After that, I reinstalled the latest nvidia drivers again, just to be safe. I'm still getting the same errors.

Finally, I used the dxdiag box to test both DirectDraw and Direct3D. DirectDraw works fine. Direct3D's testing won't complete. I get a series of errors, such as this:

[​IMG]

Any ideas on what I can do to get Direct3D working again? Should I revert back to the old nvidia drivers? If so, I'm not sure how to do that or where to get them.

I really appreciate anyones help!

2. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    I had this happen with my old Riva TNT2 and MX 4000

This worked for me :

My Computer (Right-click) -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Display Adapters -> Your video card...

Then,

Your video card (Right-click) -> Properties -> Roll Back Driver

If this doesn't work then post back here and I will search for the latest drivers that worked for that card. :)

3. YoYoYoda

YoYoYoda New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 64Mb
    Thanks for the suggestion, Crossfire. The good news is I got it working again. Unfortunately, it was much more difficult than the simple "Roll Back Driver" option. Instead I uninstalled the video card completely via the device manager. Then I let Windows plug 'n play install a back-level version. Then I updated via Windows update and all works. Now I have driver version 4.5.2.3.

How bizarre that the upgrade directly from nvidia screwed my machine up so much!